For all tree stand hunters

upstatehunter

For anyone that uses fixed position stands, if there was something you could change or add to fixed position stands what would it be. I own a welding/fabrication business along with sandblasting/painting. This post is not to generate business but for you to answer and I'll have my shop whip it up and we can see the end result and if it works. I would obviously post pictures.

Doing 90 % of my deer hunting from fixed ladder stands, I would like these features:

A 180 degree foot platform

Wide seat with armrests

Double ladder supports

Some type of grab handles for aiding in ascending/descending stand

Maybe some type of hooks under side of seat to hang a pack, etc.

Just my thoughts. I think other hunters would surely have features they would like. I have many of the basic ladder stands from sportsman guide. They are not the most comfortable but the price has allowed me to buy more of them therefore giving me more location choices.

Mike

• Like 1

I don't know, tough question...  I would say the stands are not deep enough...  I hunt exclusively a two-man I have plenty of width but when the seat is down there is just not enough room.  I will almost always try to fold the seat up so I can pick up the extra room when standing.  My feel will usually hang over the platform in the sitting position.  Also, the bottom rung/step needs a welded platform that contacts the ground.  Reason for this, if you don't accommodate and set the platform running up hill a little, as soon as the wet weather comes and you step on ladder the two vertical legs bury deep into the ground.  Over time, they continue to dig in a little putting the platform even more at downward slope.

The are small things just nuisances. 

• Like 3

This is something I have thought about before ??? A circular hoop that would attach to the tree and act as a railing with two supports that could be attached to the stand ..

It would do two things make you not so nervous when you stand up and give you a sense of security, and also could have came attached to help concel you.. I regularly use cheap portables and select trees that I can attach a 2x4s for railings and use a camo wrap ,, it works well ,,also gives you a place to rest gun or bow while sitting in addition.

Trees to use 2x4s are always not available in the location desired and not able to use on certain property's or state land ,, just a thought

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

Mine are hang on's... bring back chain instead of straps. Make sure the seat goes up and that there is decent foot space directly below the seat area so you can stand perfectly straight against the tree and not have the cables interfere with your leg. Lastly, NO squeeeeeek. 

I honestly wrote all your ideas down. I won't have these ideas done in a day but give me a couple weeks and I will post pictures. Busy time of the year for us with a lot of businesses on there down time, this is when they have there repairs done and equipment sandblasted and painted. We are actually going to build a stand from scratch and put your ideas into it.

Rear view mirrors that clamp onto square tubing. Total flex in the arm utilizing segmented coolant hose used for machining coolant spray. Segments can be added subtracted for length.

segmentedcoolanthose_zpsb3bc7236.jpg

http://www.travers.com/99-003-801?Category=UserSearch=99-003-801&gclid=CMOliv3U3cICFaHm7AodZmkA_A

Adaptors need to integrate the mounting clamp to the tubing & the tubing to an inexpensive, readily available bicycle mirror.

Mirrors need to be large enough to afford a good view yet small enought to be unobtrusive. They will be mounted high tucked under the roof eaves. This relacement lens is about 3-4" in diameter, it has a polycarbonate back with a tab for #10 screw mount. It is slightly concave for a wide angle view. They are less than $4.

mirror_zpsa0f0ecf8.jpg

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/mirrycle-mountain-mirror-replacement-lens?gclid=CPKit9jV3cICFfPm7AoduloAjQ

I need to fabricate 1 for my tri-pod & 2 for my penthouse ladder stand 3 total. I'm sure at least 1 buck has given me the slip behind. I found his tracks when I got down & headed in.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I honestly wrote all your ideas down. I won't have these ideas done in a day but give me a couple weeks and I will post pictures. Busy time of the year for us with a lot of businesses on there down time, this is when they have there repairs done and equipment sandblasted and painted. We are actually going to build a stand from scratch and put your ideas into it.

I work a lot and some days when I hunt no joke I have brought my work laptop into the woods to take client orders..... How about some sort of either a fold down or attached small table to the side of the seat in a ladder stand

• Like 1

The stand that Kpkot posted in a single wide stand and made about 6 inches farther out/deeper from the tree.One other thing that I know is a problem with 90% of the stand I have is the noise they make where the ladder sections come together so I would make sure they are as good as you can get them. As a machinist and amateur fabricator I am looking forward to seeing your design.One thing I would make sure of.If you plan on selling to the public make sure you have insurance for it.

I wouldn't sell to the public because I just don't want the headache of insurance, etc. Enough on my plate with the two businesses

I would be willing to send you some segmented cooling hose & a mirror to make a prototype "Ladder Stand Rear View Mirror". Less than $15 in outsourced material for 2 units. If the segmented hose could be bought by the foot W/O the end fittings, it would be less. The stuff is real handy, it pops together/apart like "pop beads" & is pretty stiff as far as holding shape & supporting the weight of a mirror. Too bad I didn't grab some when I was working. They used a lot of it in machining cabinets.

Should be pretty straight forward. I could probably fabricate something myself, but it always seems to get put off & once deer season arrives I'm too busy.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I would be willing to send you some segmented cooling hose & a mirror to make a prototype "Ladder Stand Rear View Mirror". Less than $15 in outsourced material for 2 units. If the segmented hose could be bought by the foot W/O the end fittings, it would be less. The stuff is real handy, it pops together/apart like "pop beads" & is pretty stiff as far as holding shape & supporting the weight of a mirror. Too bad I didn't grab some when I was working. They used a lot of it in machining cabinets.

Should be pretty straight forward. I could probably fabricate something myself, but it always seems to get put off & once deer season arrives I'm too busy.

deer view mirror...one of the most joked products ever.
  • Like 1

1st of all mounting a mirror on the platform of a hang on stand or climber would be pretty lame. I want to tuck mirrors up under the roof corners out of the way where they would provide downward & to the rear monitoring..

2nd, the clamp is flimsy & wouldn't hold well or last..

3rd, the mirror is too large, A small round slightly convex mirror would work better.

The 2 stands I want this for have roofs that prevent standing so being able to see behind would allow easier monitering all around. It would also allow investigating sounds with out commiting to movement & would also allow one to decide whether ot not movement to get into position would be detected by game.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Out of business - tells you something.

My point was that the concept is a valid one that has a useful purpose....

It doesn't surprise me that the company is out of business , when the product can be made from stuff laying around your house , and put together by anybody with half a brain...

That's not a get rich product..

Here is what I have. They don't make them anymore, would love another. The platform is 48x42. Wouldn't mind it a bit bigger. Love the swivel seat, it's comfortable. The rail is a shooting rail so no support there, would be nice if I had something to grab onto to get up better. I do hang my backpack from it and it's not in the way. The back corner I have a bucket with a hose hooked as a toilet

.post-1068-0-63507300-1419536861_thumb.jp

Edited by Paula