Real tree snow?

So in my search for bibs I keep seeing the real tree snow. And it looks good.

However this year it seems that in my area we only had snow for 20% of the season.

Does the snow pattern give you any legitimate advantage over the deer? On the ground I could see this happening IF there's decent fresh snowfall on branches...

What I've read on deer eyesight lead me to believe that instead of just being a dark misshapen blob you'd be a lighter colored blob...

( as the purpose of the camp is to break up your outline)

Thoughts?

So in my search for bibs I keep seeing the real tree snow. And it looks good.

However this year it seems that in my area we only had snow for 20% of the season.

Does the snow pattern give you any legitimate advantage over the deer? On the ground I could see this happening IF there's decent fresh snowfall on branches...

What I've read on deer eyesight lead me to believe that instead of just being a dark misshapen blob you'd be a lighter colored blob...

( as the purpose of the camp is to break up your outline)

Thoughts?

Snow camo is definitely an advantage... I've gotten so close to deer with it that both the deer and I were startled... if you're in a treestand it may not be worth the additional expense over any good camp.. but, on the ground in snow... I never wear anything else... I am sure it is the reason I've been able to get close enough to some of the deer I've taken while tracking.

• Like 3

Ok, it didn't take long to get me shopping. This pair seems like a decent buy for the buck. They say to buy a size larger as they run small.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/master-sportsman-waterproof-breathable-coveralls?a=1739163[/quote

I looked at these. Only large left. Would like a pair, unfortunate that the last 2 pair, I bought mail order were 4 inches to long. Now I"m gun shy at buying mail order cloths.

could try these and paint to your liking, just get a size bigger than you would normally wear............I know a few who use them when waterfowl hunting in the snow, from what I remember they're made from  quiet material.

http://www.constructiongear.com/3m-disposable-prot-coverall-4510.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=81318828810&gclid=CMDj-fK27sICFSEV7Aod-nYAJQ

So I went to bp gift cards in hand fully expecting to walkout with some turkey supplies... And end up leaving with a 200$ redhead cold weather system jacket to match my bibs I bought earlier....

Looks like a regular old German snow poncho will have to do for next year

i think a lot of the camo patterns are just driven by marketing and tv. Is real tree any better or worse than mossy oak? it's all about silhouette in the stand. I think snow can be good in the late fall early winter because you can help blend in with the sky. I do not believe your pattern of choice makes or breaks your hunt. Invest instead maybe in a stand blind, climbing higher and out of site, scent control or a ground blind.

Edited by Belo

i think a lot of the camo patterns are just driven by marketing and tv. Is real tree any better or worse than mossy oak? it's all about silhouette in the stand. I think snow can be good in the late fall early winter because you can help blend in with the sky. I do not believe your pattern of choice makes or breaks your hunt. Invest instead maybe in a stand blind, climbing higher and out of site, scent control or a ground blind.

The OP was talking about hunting on the ground, tracking or stalking in the snow... you're right though, any good snow camo will work.. the OP was looking for a fleece that was good for when he's on the move that won't heat him up too much.

The OP was talking about hunting on the ground, tracking or stalking in the snow... you're right though, any good snow camo will work.. the OP was looking for a fleece that was good for when he's on the move that won't heat him up too much.

Think you got this thread mixed up with mine Joe.
  • Like 1

I’ve been wearing King’s Camo Snow Shadow for the past two seasons.  Came in handy both years, was able to take a late season doe last year and passed on a few small bucks this year.  They are super comfortable, quiet and warm.  I wear them with base layers and maybe some Scentblocker System 2 if the mercury really drops.  They look great and now you can you usually buy them in some sort of bundle deal, take a look, I love them.

I’ve been wearing King’s Camo Snow Shadow for the past two seasons. Came in handy both years, was able to take a late season doe last year and passed on a few small bucks this year. They are super comfortable, quiet and warm. I wear them with base layers and maybe some Scentblocker System 2 if the mercury really drops. They look great and now you can you usually buy them in some sort of bundle deal, take a look, I love them.

http://www.kingscamo.com/TX-Pro-Extreme-Bibs-Snow-Shadow_p_276.html

How well does it breath? I have found that the windshear lining holds in all moisture, to the point it becomes ridiculous.

How well does it breath? I have found that the windshear lining holds in all moisture, to the point it becomes ridiculous.

I wore it for the first time last year when we only had about 4-5 inches on the ground and it was about 15 with wind.  This year I wore it when we had 12 inches and morning temp was hanging around 5.  I was comfortable whether I was up in my stand or inside of my blind.  You do not have to wear crazy layers underneath as the Snow Shadow Extreme bibs are pretty warm to begin with.  I had basic UA base layer and a fleece on underneath on the colder days.  No problem with sweat, moisture was wicked away and I was good to go.  I really do love these bibs.

post-693-0-22031700-1420633223_thumb.png