Euro mount of my 8 Pt

JALA RUT

The term european mount has been tossed around to come to mean generically skull mount, such as the word gay had a meaning of happy once, and now mears something else.

European mounts the skull is cut removing the teeth.old issues of outdoor life,field and stream use to show the difference.

The same perpetuation of a word is happening again bae is danish for crap, but in social media it is suppose to be a term of enderment. I guess if your fed the same line 1000's of times it becomes the truth

....another example of the polital and media changing the truth.

That really doesn't answer anything.  Just opinions on what some might call a "Traditional European" as opposed to a "European" from some guys on Archery talk.

Nowhere is is called a "Western" mount, on Archery Talk or the web.........(that I've seen so far)

I've got both kinds but only one with the upper jaw removed, all the rest are intact.

Oh wow, pretty cool. I never heard of a Western mount until now either. But I like the way it came out no matter what it's called and I'll post up a picture when I get it mounted onto a plaque. I'm going to do a wall plaque with an attached angled base for the skull to sit on. I'm trying to think of something muzzleloader related for the shape of the flat wall plaque part.

Oh wow, pretty cool. I never heard of a Western mount until now either. But I like the way it came out no matter what it's called and I'll post up a picture when I get it mounted onto a plaque. I'm going to do a wall plaque with an attached angled base for the skull to sit on. I'm trying to think of something muzzleloader related for the shape of the flat wall plaque part.

Did turn out nice. Euro sounds cooler :~}

They have been called western for over 30 years that i know of, and taxidermists out west offer both styles at different prices. Easy to look them up on web ,us easterners are making everything generic but there was and is a difference .http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_mounts

I just searched and can't find (in my limited skills) any that do a TRUE European mount with with the skull sawed, eliminating the upper jaw.

All I see are the ones with the entire upper jaw in place............seems everybody features the "Western Style" skull mount but calls it a "European" mount.

Traditional European..........

IMG_6445_zpsf038f599.jpg

As seen next to a full upper jaw mount..........

IMG_6446_zps753e213a.jpg

Side view........

IMG_6447_zps3de4cc0b.jpg

Back view........

IMG_6448_zps38fe2013.jpg

The traditional European mount isn't an easy saw job to do.  I'd guess that it takes a pretty steady hand to run that skull up against the band saw blade because the skull doesn't have much meat to hold onto.  Probably a few short fingered taxi dudes that are in retirement. ;)   All the young guys have all their digits because they don't cut 'em off!

https://books.google.com/books?id=zmoCGEO-nrMC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=german+methods+of+mounting+skulls&source=bl&ots=h7fDUukjQD&sig=exrsBCWpyYMmQnuV_kndCQY-S1k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Q-GgVKbEGYGbgwS-2YOoDw&ved=0CE0Q6AEwDjgK#v=onepage&q=german%20methods%20of%20mounting%20skulls&f=false  hrere is european method circa 1970,  the american or western version had teeth left in and is just the skull,remember dermested beetles werent in use for hundereds of years (really in the us for comertial taxidermy last 915-20), and the same magazine showing how we changed the use of european mount to become generaic as its used today. https://books.google.com/books?id=mJaMTRWklpIC&pg=PA43&dq=field+and+stream+european+mount&hl=en&sa=X&ei=beWgVOXvM8iagwTE1oEg&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=field%20and%20stream%20european%20mount&f=false  sorry to be a stickler on the term but grew up around taxidermist and old timers that would roll over in the grave seeing how the term has become generalised.  its amazing how in 40 years the term and method has become lost..  by the way the true european mounts much easier and flatter on a plack..... and  lawdawz most old time taxidermist arent on the web, like you they have limited computer skills but can make animals into true art!

Edited by G-Man