Upgraded my Hunting photography/filming setup

josephmrtn

What's ur opinion on this camera arm guys?

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=428426

Is it worth 40 bucks? I checked at my local gander mtn and the construction seems fairly heavy however im not sure about it only being a 2 piece... most of the 3 piece ones I've found are well over $100

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well after some consideration I decided that rather than spending the money on a camera arm I am gonna make my own with stuff I have laying around... Here's what I ended up with

(Not sure why the one image is posted twice....)

post-2634-14223163804277_thumb.jpg

post-2634-14223164061197_thumb.jpg

post-2634-14223164171873_thumb.jpg

post-2634-14223164511373_thumb.jpg

post-2634-1422316474354_thumb.jpg

Edited by josephmrtn
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Quick update guys, completed the arm last night and set it up for a few pics this morn, seems to work well so far! I shortened it quite a bit since I didn't need the nearly 4ft lol and also to help get rid of the bounce... A big thanks to Jacob Schmidtt on YouTube for his video, it helped a ton

Here's the vid if anyone is interested: Make Your Own Good Self Film Hunting Camera Arm:

I have an idea as far as a paint job and am going to test it and post the results

post-2634-1426700636887_thumb.jpgpost-2634-142670069311_thumb.jpgpost-2634-14267007177812_thumb.jpg

I've got a Nikon D5100 with lenses and other stuff... bought it as a package deal.  I don't think it'd take it out in the rain ever though.  I've got a slightly cheaper Sony Handicam for that and up in a tree.  I use Muddy mounts and they seem to be solid.  for cheaper arms it's good to replace washers with good Teflon ones.  head rotation is more important.  zoom slowly or manually if there's a lot of brush.  always film video in HD.  like wooly just not as skilled I usually stick to F setting/aperture priority.  when you can lock in a bird or deer pics come out good.  rest is slightly blurred and every one knows what you intended to shoot.  as a relative beginner I feel like I've accomplished something then opposed to snapping away in Auto.  I've got a DVD that's packed full of tips and how to use info for my exact camera.  I'm sure there's something out there for yours.  Definitely pause that thing and play.  I've had it a while and still not through it.  I had this PSE calendar with whitetail photos on it that had all the settings listed at the bottom of the picture.  That was cool.  Still figuring stuff out though and have a long ways to go.

• Like 1

OK so originally I was thinking plain black or maby camo tape wrapped... But I was in Walmart looking at the spraypaints they had and found this...

post-2634-14268117773342_thumb.jpg

Its around 7 and a half bucks so I picked up a can and figured I'd try it... (By the way, can anyone figure out why the cash register at Walmart asked if Customer was 18 to buy this paint??? The lady then asked for my ID which I showed her and she hit yes even tho I'm still only 17)

I can't really get a good pic but after painting it lightly w a flat black as a primer and giving it two separate coats of this stuff I gotta say I like it!!!! It dries into a nice textured finish, black w brown specks thru it (it actually looked sorta dark green to me until after the 2nd coat dried so mb just one coat wud do it if u want the greenish look?) Here's the best I could do for pics right now, if I find a way to get better ones I'll post some

post-2634-14268119140185_thumb.jpg

post-2634-14268120287823_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2<br/>

• Like 2