Whitening skulls

Zem18

I did that once with a roadkill I was given........didn't turn out half bad and actually came out nice and white after I bleached it with the stuff you can get at a beauty supply place.

So Papist and jjb, when you bury the skull, I assume you leave the antlers sticking up out of the ground. Do you cover them at all? My FIL has about 4 skulls at his house in different stages just hanging on a fence and have been exposed so the antlers are bleaching from the sun and the critters got to a few of the points. Just curious how you proceed with your method.

The shovel came in handy to deflect some heat downward. I was present the entire time but don't recommend my method.

IMG_20141230_220315573_zpsriask8w1.jpg

The heat really got it foaming up

IMG_20141230_220407235_zpsjgetldec.jpg

Edited by Zemmer18

So Papist and job, when you bury the skull, I assume you leave the antlers sticking up out of the ground. Do you cover them at all? My FIL has about 4 skulls at his house in different stages just hanging on a fence and have been exposed so the antlers are bleaching from the sun and the critters got to a few of the points. Just curious how you proceed with your method.

I just did it once because it was a roadkill and didn't really matter to me how it came out.....anyhow, I buried it up to the bottom of the antlers and cover it with a barrel to keep rodents off it, but it did turn out pretty well, not to sure I would go that route with a rack that meant something to me....but probably better than the hanging on a fence method.

Edited by jjb4900

Ill have to take one of his off the fence and bury it and then cover it to see how it works. How long did you leave it in the ground and any prep work, skinning, scraping or just bury it hide, eyes and all?

I pretty much buried it as it was with all intact.....I'm gonna guess 6-8 months, winter months probably have little insect activity so leave it through the warmer months.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got my chit together and started doing a little more with the skull. The smell has subsided for now but it has been in the garage and it is not heated so it has been nice and cool. I also glued the nose bones back on and have to finish the upper section by squeezing them together and then glue them. I had a piece of wood laying around so I shot a few pictures. Not sure how I will mount yet but I'm still planning it out in my head. Anyways, here are some

IMG_20150113_202116603_HDR_zpsm0dfs7o6.j

IMG_20150113_202143636_HDR_zpsxyjkd05r.j

IMG_20150113_202213919_HDR_zpsq7uwavle.j

• Like 2