Firewood

GreeneHunter

My thoughts on firewood; how about its alot of friggin work.

I use it for outdoor cooking not for heat. I suppose I could get a four dog but theres enough to do. Time and expense, theres not time saved but im less dependant on propane. Lets not add the cost of a 22ton splitter because I love that thing. Plan on the cost of what two chain & maybe a bar every year. Then theres the bar oil, the mix etc.

I am sure people that use firewood for heat need to be smart about what woods they burn. Timewise id say were talking about last years jazz. Where I can bend that rule.

these days, I rent a splitter from Home Depot.........cut everything to desired length and when I'm ready to split I rent the splitter for 24 hours and pretty much run it nonstop till I'm done..........let someone else worry about the maintenance and storage, and if it blows up it's not my problem.

• Like 2

My thoughts on firewood; how about its alot of friggin work.

I use it for outdoor cooking not for heat. I suppose I could get a four dog but theres enough to do. Time and expense, theres not time saved but im less dependant on propane. Lets not add the cost of a 22ton splitter because I love that thing. Plan on the cost of what two chain & maybe a bar every year. Then theres the bar oil, the mix etc.

I am sure people that use firewood for heat need to be smart about what woods they burn. Timewise id say were talking about last years jazz. Where I can bend that rule.

Thats why it warms you twice. Love working with wood, just another connection to nature.

I'm lucky enough to have 15 acres of hardwoods where I can cut firewood so it makes sense to use as my main heat source in my small shack of a home.  I enjoy cutting wood to an extent but the older I get the more I can think of things I'd rather do and have to believe 30 years of splitting by hand has contributed to some of the arthritis pain I have, which is tested more each year when I go to start cutting again. The other neg as some have stated is the dust. But I won't quit anytime soon as the warmth is hard to beat on a cold day and it's satisfying to heat with wood that I cut and split with my own two hands.

• Like 2

I heated with wood for 10 yrs. did the load of logs, chunked it, split it, stacked it out back, moved & stacked it in garage, put in stove, carried out ashes, & 1 chimney fire.  That totals up to 5x's worth of heating/sweat & dirt! It was a family affair, the splitting & stacking part when the kids were here. Enough was enough!  Now I just turn up the thermostat  and smile!

• Like 1

I dump a bag of pellets in a don't touch it again for 30 hours

Do you find that the buck pellets last a bit longer than doe pellets?     How long does it take to collect a bag of pellets? 

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 3

Been around firewood all my life,the whole family used it....my uncle was a logger. I have used it since we bought this house 21 years now. It has saved me thousands I am sure.Oil prices until now were sick. A few years ago we decided to buy a load of logs which ran ~$650 and we figured ended up about 9-10 full cord. We bought a splitter,cut,split and stacked it here.Ended up burning the wood for the next 4 years. Figured we didn't need the splitter after we got done with the truck load,so sold it to the neighbor for close to what we actually paid for it.He offered us to use it any time we wanted to but didn't work out well,another story. So we started buying split,seasoned by the P-Up load for ~$90  delivered/load. Then when we bought the NY property we ended up using firewood for the main since we are off grid and went and bought another splitter just for that.I was splitting all by hand for the first 4 years there but time was being wasted by that method.I would rather take 1 weekend with the splitter and have enough for 3 or 4 years than have to split every time I went up by hand.It works best when you have time constraints.I like seasoned wood to be atleast 1 year old but love when it's 2 or more and 4 or 5 year seasoned burns the best.

I can't believe what some of you pay for a "face" cord. Anything over $60 is rape for a row of wood. One guy I deal with when he has the wood,delivers an F450 dump truck with high wood sides load for $100 all seasoned oak. When I stack it,it's pushing 3/4 of a full cord....guess I'm spoiled :) . In my travels to and from camp I have seen prices range from $45 to over $75 per face and some of it was really rough looking. I may be going to pellet here next year at the main house,wood is getting harder to handle and 1 place is enough to deal with on top of that the stove it tired.....like me.

• Like 1

I bought a face cord of seasoned mixed hard wood for the fireplace in Oct. I paid $60.00. That was the cheapest I found. Some guys wanted $75 to $80 and some guys won't even deal with you unless you're buying at least 2 full cords. 

I the guy on RT 104 in Ontario charges around

$95 for 2 FC delivered with a 4 week wait

$620 total for 8 FC delivered with a 2 week wait

Both would cost an additional tax

I just called to verify the prices and the lady told me the costs . I also saw where someone complained that he didn't receive any pieces over 14" in his load .

a cord of wood should be 128 cubic feet, a lot of places sell a cord as two rows of wood 8' x 4'.........only problem is the logs usually aren't 2' long so you're not getting a full cord, there was a bunch of wood guys shorting people on L.I. a few years ago and some filed complaints with The Dept of Weights and Measures and believe it or not they actually followed up on it and went after the guys..........if I need to buy I always ask for a receipt saying I was sold a full cord, usually keeps them honest.

I'm thinking of switching to a pellet stove after seeing a 40lb bag of pellets at Home Depot for $6. Hmm. .. only concern is the stove itself specifically if the blower is too noisy. Need to see one in action before buying it.

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

I'm thinking of switching to a pellet stove after seeing a 40lb bag of pellets at Home Depot for $6. Hmm. .. only concern is the stove itself specifically if the blower is too noisy. Need to see one in action before buying it.

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

I have been using a pellet stove for 3 seasons now and it has saved me about 2500 in fuel.If you purchase your pellets in the off season they cost less than 3 dollars a bag.I have a quadrafire where I can burn three different types of fuel in it wood pellets cherry pits and whole corn.

• Like 2

I the guy on RT 104 in Ontario charges around

$95 for 2 FC delivered with a 4 week wait

$620 total for 8 FC delivered with a 2 week wait

Both would cost an additional tax

I just called to verify the prices and the lady told me the costs . I also saw where someone complained that he didn't receive any pieces over 14" in his load .

Tax on fire wood?I do not pay tax for pellets and they are bagged.

That 3 system pellet stove sounds like a wise choice. Corn can be found if pellets are hard to find.

It works out well when most folks are trying to buy wood pellets I go to local farmer and buy whole corn from him.I also have my stove hooked into the heating ducts/forced air system

Adjust your pellet stove right and you won't have to listen to the blower......the faster you have that blower going doesn't mean more heat......hang a thermometer right on the front where heat blows out and start playing.....start by chocking down the cold air intake......I use aluminum tape.....this is a slow process to figure out