A SAFE Act Horror Story. It Could Happen To Anyone.

I'm just wondering if anyone here expects a perfect system in reasonable gun control? If we all agree that certain people with a mental illness should not have guns do we then assume every person with a mental illness will get denied or that an innocent or two will not get caught up in the gears of the machinery? I agree that on the face of it this seems like a huge mistake, but I've only seen this one story and have no facts as to how many have been denied guns due to the mental illness as a percentage of the gun owning population of New York. The safe act is a horror show but the idea of keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill who could be dangerous is a good one. You may point out that this person is a veteran and ex police office but since both groups have a higher percentage of gun violence and gun suicide it carries no weight. Let's not forget it was an elderly ex cop who shot a man in Florida last year in a movie theater for texting his daughter. Just like when you hit a certain age you shouldn't be driving anymore, there may come a time when an person shouldn't have a gun anymore. This goes to the heart of gun control, if gun owners do not put forth reasonable and manageable solutions they will and have been forced on us.

I'm just wondering if anyone here expects a perfect system in reasonable gun control? If we all agree that certain people with a mental illness should not have guns do we then assume every person with a mental illness will get denied or that an innocent or two will not get caught up in the gears of the machinery? I agree that on the face of it this seems like a huge mistake, but I've only seen this one story and have no facts as to how many have been denied guns due to the mental illness as a percentage of the gun owning population of New York. The safe act is a horror show but the idea of keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill who could be dangerous is a good one. You may point out that this person is a veteran and ex police office but since both groups have a higher percentage of gun violence and gun suicide it carries no weight. Let's not forget it was an elderly ex cop who shot a man in Florida last year in a movie theater for texting his daughter. Just like when you hit a certain age you shouldn't be driving anymore, there may come a time when an person shouldn't have a gun anymore. This goes to the heart of gun control, if gun owners do not put forth reasonable and manageable solutions they will and have been forced on us.

I agree about the "ex police officer" and "ex military" really having any bearing..........I know a few of both who balance on the edge of people we want owning guns, there's a lot of both with major issues....if I'm not mistaken, there are many that are angry that cops have an edge on gun ownership and certain exemptions, so right there you could throw that out the window as far as the concerns of many go.

Edited by jjb4900

no ones taking your guns for having a drink, just taking any prescription drug will not result in the loss of your firearms. You can reply that yea we never thought we would have an assault weapon registration but in all honesty that really wasn't much of a surprise to most of us, and no they aren't coming for our deer rifles and shotguns next. I've heard and read into the OPS story and to be honest all the facts arnt in and the source isn't a credible one by any means. Just seems lately the extremist voices are the only ones heard anymore, yea we have a small portion of the population that won't be happy unless we are hunting with slingshots or not hunting at all and then there the other side that feels their rights are infringed because they can't own full auto weapons and hand grenades.

A drink..No  Proof of a drinking problem with guns in the house..You can bet the bank they can yank them and just let someone that takes say Vicodin for a chronic back problem go a little ape shit some night for one reason or another and not even be drug related but guns mentioned and a nurse say that to a cop in the report... Bye,Bye Guns.  If they want them, they will take them!

• Like 4

A drink..No  Proof of a drinking problem with guns in the house..You can bet the bank they can yank them and just let someone that takes say Vicodin for a chronic back problem go a little ape shit some night for one reason or another and not even be drug related but guns mentioned and a nurse say that to a cop in the report... Bye,Bye Guns.  If they want them, they will take them!

I agree with that statement and have to add the same goes for deer farms, if they wanted those too they will take them.  There is a lot more financial loss for all aspects of the gun industry than there is behind a high fence. Thinking a more lucrative business that is being molested by our government is touchable and deer farms are not is just ridiculous. 

I agree with that statement and have to add the same goes for deer farms, if they wanted those too they will take them.  There is a lot more financial loss for all aspects of the gun industry than there is behind a high fence. Thinking a more lucrative business that is being molested by our government is touchable and deer farms are not is just ridiculous. 

Although not related to the thread's subject, the fact is, NY State DOES want to eliminate as many gun owners as it can, but has no current desire to eliminate deer farms.  They certainly want the taxes they pay and don't want to kill any more businesses than they already have.

However, I think wdswtr is making the point I've been trying to convey to people for years.  The government is not your friend.  Rule of Law has been corrupted by Rule of Men and I expect it to get much worse if citizens don't start to demand legislators uphold their oaths to support and defend the Constitution, of both the US and the States.

I really doubt the citizens will rise to the cause though, as I see very little resistance to tyranny so far.

Ya know...A few of you on here think this is possible. It would take a mass killing of some disease killing animals before they could even think about doing this. Do you think they can just shut down dairy farms for little reason? Wrong. Just as they cant shut us down. We are Dept of Ag listed and USDA ruled. If you want a real answer to your thoughts give Dr Davis Smith a call in Albany and find out for yourself.  Why the frig do you think they are trying to regulate us out of business with border closings and crazy rules??????? Because thats all they can do and those are getting fought and dropped in courts of law. Do you think states would be paying farms a million dollars to kill their animals and lock their land if they could just shut them? Not!   Do you think states would states would pay millions to farms that get hit with EHD if they could just shut them down. Like most on here know about deer farms and laws......Clueless!!!!!!!!! 

Ya know...A few of you on here think this is possible. It would take a mass killing of some disease killing animals before they could even think about doing this. Do you think they can just shut down dairy farms for little reason? Wrong. Just as they cant shut us down. We are Dept of Ag listed and USDA ruled. If you want a real answer to your thoughts give Dr Davis Smith a call in Albany and find out for yourself.  Why the frig do you think they are trying to regulate us out of business with border closings and crazy rules??????? Because thats all they can do and those are getting fought and dropped in courts of law. Do you think states would be paying farms a million dollars to kill their animals and lock their land if they could just shut them? Not!   Do you think states would states would pay millions to farms that get hit with EHD if they could just shut them down. Like most on here know about deer farms and laws......Clueless!!!!!!!!! 

although I can fully understand your concern for your business and what may or may not be happening with it, I also think you're way overestimating everyone else caring about it.

although I can fully understand your concern for your business and what may or may not be happening with it, I also think you're way overestimating everyone else caring about it.

Well it sure sounds like a few like to spout off about it so i guess a few do care about it for some reason. For a person to bring up deer farms in a post about gun control......Yeah right, Tell me all about it.

Well it sure sounds like a few like to spout off about it so i guess a few do care about it for some reason. For a person to bring up deer farms in a post about gun control......Yeah right, Tell me all about it.

I think you may be confusing people's enjoyment out of getting a rise out of you by by bringing it up every chance they get, with a genuine concern for the deer farm industry itself............

I think you may be confusing people's enjoyment out of getting a rise out of you by by bringing it up every chance they get, with a genuine concern for the deer farm industry itself............

Glad to see it. I love shutting them down with facts and truths that they have no answer for. It just shows where the envy really is and how clueless many really are.   No Problem!

Now thats funny. You have yet to show us anything to back up your so called facts that are just an opInion of your own thinking. You been called out a hundred times to show any kind of a reputable source behind you factpinions. Yet here we all sit still waiting for them. Sorry your not above the government.

Our legal system has always been based on "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer", What you are proposing as acceptable is quite the contrary, "it is better that ten innocent men suffer than one guilty man escape." If the Government applied this to other rights, the Anti's would be changing their tune. And actually they use it to hold up movements towards things like voter ID's. It can't be done because that one person might not have their vote counted/cast. How about random searches? for a little inconvenience we can possibly find someone doing something illegal?  

I whole heartily believe there are those that are too ill too own a weapon. The formula used and the lack of accountability for making such clams is my issue with the new law.

• Like 3

Now thats funny. You have yet to show us anything to back up your so called facts that are just an opInion of your own thinking. You been called out a hundred times to show any kind of a reputable source behind you factpinions. Yet here we all sit still waiting for them. Sorry your not above the government.

Yeah Ok.. I have shown proof and fact of just what states are and are not doing on the CWD front.  Sorry but Govt cant shut down Ag without a very serious reason and as was shown, CWD was not one of them so ya, they cant just say..Oh we dont like them.

Like i said. Call Dr Smith at Dept of Ag in Albany and ask him how easy it is to close down something involved with Ag.

This is about guns and people with problems. There are guys that come back from over seas and use war problems as a free ride and easy money. Then they get hit with the reality of what could happen to their personal lives..Like Guns. 

Then there are the ones that really had a hard time over there and came home with problems and should not have a gun at their bedside. 

Then im sure there will be cases where the guy gets screwed over. Different strokes but some really probably should not have guns, sucks after what they went through and stuff but real world is real world.

Sleep deprivation is a key component of post-traumatic stress disorder, or P.T.S.D., according to Jonathan Shay, a clinical psychiatrist who has worked at the Veterans Affairs facility in Boston and is the author of “Odysseus in America: Combat Trauma and the Trials of Homecoming” (2002). He told me that sleep is “fuel for the frontal lobes of the brain,” which handle “ethical and emotional self-restraint” and “the ability to say, ‘This is now and that was then.’ ” He added, “In a sleep-deprived brain, there is only an eternal present.”