Few shots from today

josephmrtn

It gets a little trickier when you're at the mercy of the environment Joe, but you did good to get out there and experience it for yourself!

I keep my tripod strapped to my pack at ALL times just in case I need it. Your gonna want to keep that sucker (or at least a monopod) close by especially with no "IS" on that lens.

Gloomy days are always tougher to keep things sharp shooting free hand at slower SS, so you gotta go to the extra mile carrying the extra gear if you want to bring some keeper shots home.

Looks like you have plenty of cooperative targets around to give you some steady action behind the cam! Keep it up!

• Like 2

Increasing your ISO allows you to shoot in low light situations without compromising shutter speeds.  Newer cameras now a days, you can bring your ISO all the way up to 3200 and still keep "noise" (aka graininess if the picture) at a acceptable amount.

• Like 2

Increasing your ISO allows you to shoot in low light situations without compromising shutter speeds.  Newer cameras now a days, you can bring your ISO all the way up to 3200 and still keep "noise" (aka graininess if the picture) at a acceptable amount.

Not to highjack your post Joe, but I thought this may be a helpful example of what Elmo was saying and give you a few more things to think about before your next outing with your cam.

I took this shot this past fall on an early overcast morning at ISO 3200. My camera has two more levels of adjustment at ISO 6400 and 128000 but I haven't had the need to mess with them too much other than a few test shots.

I almost didn't bring the camera this day since conditions really sucked for photos with a light misty rain if I recall, but I'm really liking the way this camera compares to my old one at high ISO.

This was straight out of the camera with no post processing noise removal.

ISO- 3200

SS- 1/640

F-5.3

240mm

Matrix metering

Light crop to cut out tree trunk in bottom left corner.

Those long range shots like you posted will magnify any camera shake especially at the maximum focal length the same way your rifle scope will when you max out its power. That's where getting closer becomes more important to me. I honestly think those deer in your pics are a bit too far for any real good pics, but they could serve as a good long range scouting tool for summer recon field edge sits. I'm just trying to offer some constructive criticism and in NO WAY am I trying to be overly critical of your photos.

In the pic below I opened up to 240mm on the 300mm so I could open the aperture from 5.6 @  300mm to a quicker 5.3 @ 240mm  to get that extra little shutter speed that results in a sharper image... or at least less noticeable motion blurr and softness. Sometimes you'll get better results by backing off your lens max zoom a little bit for extra performance benefits.

Pay attention to all that EXIF data now, and when you find yourself shooting under the same conditions in the future, you'll be able to adjust your settings accordingly before you start shooting for pre determined best results.

There's also several noise removal programs available if you're still not happy with the way your camera handles it on its own. I've been using Noise Ninja since I got into this stuff, but I find I haven't been using it nearly as much with the new gear.

large.jpg

• Like 2