No more chicken

YFKI1983

Trust me, arsenic is only one of only many things that make commercial, mass-produced poultry depressing and scary.

Raise some, or if you can't due to space/laws/time/etc, find a local farmer that does right by his or her birds and support them. Investing in your local farmers not only supports their livelihood, it supports ethical treatment of livestock, and gets you healthier food to you and your family. Win/Win. It is sometimes a bit more expensive, because you are paying for quality and the real time that goes into raising such animals.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 5

Trust me, arsenic is only one of only many things that make commercial, mass-produced poultry depressing and scary.

Raise some, or if you can't due to space/laws/time/etc, find a local farmer that does right by his or her birds and support them. Investing in your local farmers not only supports their livelihood, it supports ethical treatment of livestock, and gets you healthier food to you and your family. Win/Win. It is sometimes a bit more expensive, because you are paying for quality and the real time that goes into raising such animals.

I live in a beautiful little hell hole named NYC. There is no local farm lol. As soon as I move I plan on growing some

I live in a beautiful little hell hole named NYC. There is no local farm lol. As soon as I move I plan on growing some

You can get free range chicken at tons of places in NYC. In addition to restaurants grocery stores, and markets, even some farmers markets have it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

You can get free range chicken at tons of places in NYC. In addition to restaurants grocery stores, and markets, even some farmers markets have it now.

I think the term "free range chicken" takes on a new meaning once you get into NYC...........at least that's what I hear.

I think the term "free range chicken" takes on a new meaning once you get into NYC...........at least that's what I hear.

Not sure what you mean?

I don't grocery shop in NYC, but whole foods and many other grocery stores in Westchester sell chicken from farms in the Catskills etc. I've see upstate farms with stands at farmers markets in NYC. Many restaurants in westchester and nyc are "farm to table" type places where the food is from local farms etc. Eating healthy foods has become a real fad in NYC, people pay big bucks for "organic" "non gmo" "free range" etc.

Ha-ha-ha .... Don't just worry about chicken. Hell most of our veggies are coming from countries where the people picking them hate our guts. I hate to think of what they are doing on our food before it gets shipped here.... lol.

Ha-ha-ha .... Don't just worry about chicken. Hell most of our veggies are coming from countries where the people picking them hate our guts. I hate to think of what they are doing on our food before it gets shipped here.... lol.

... or what they are using as pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers....

All the more reason to try hitting up local farmers, where you can talk to the person growing your food, or heck you can go see for yourself. We used to have nothing like that locally, and if I didn't grow it myself I was out of luck. In the last 5-10 years some local farms have started selling direct ("farm to table") and now I can get most things I need, even in the winter when they use high tunnels.

It's really pretty rewarding, similarly to how hunting can be very rewarding... to be only one step away from your food origins.

I know it doesn't work out for everyone, we all live in different situations and I respect that. But it's getting easier and easier to find local foods these days if you take the time to look.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1

I always check where food is from before I buy it. Seafood is a big one to look at. I sure as heck want no farm raised crap from China or anywhere else.

But $20 bucks for a chicken yikes!!!! No way I am paying $20 for a 3-4 pound chicken!! I'll go down the street and hit a goose over the head with a golf club first!! lol Purdue I believe still raises all there birds in the states.

I also make a serious effort to try to buy as much other products as I can from the USA, at times it is not even possible without going way outa range in price. Imported crap really needs to be taxed to give USA produced items an advantage. You know that's what other countries do.

We were happier than could be when we found out the dairy that we dealt with for a few years will deliver to the area we moved to, it took a few months but their business grew in this area. Starting tomorrow we are back to fresh milk in glass bottles delivered to our doorstep. Sure we pay more but it's so good! Plus they carry a variety of other local products from other farms in the area including eggs.

Our land is far to wet for a garden so that's out but there is a farm stand less than a mile away that carries all sorts of good stuff all summer and fall long. My favorite local place is Smith's pies, although living two minutes away from fresh pie isn't the best thing for my waistline though.

Next spring the chicken coop is on my to do list, along with a flight pen for other birds I can use for dog training.

I love knowing where my food comes from.

• Like 1

Not all Free-range chickens are 20+ bucks a chicken.

Just this past August I raised & butcherd Broiler chickens for a somone we agreed on the price of 8$ a chicken.

And that left modest room for profit.

Heck some of the chickens weighed nearly 16#!

That's good weight and price. I went in on some with a friend of mine this past summer, he did all the work.

He lost a lot of them so they averaged $15 and were fat!