7.62x39 Any good for deer?

Shucks, Joe, I'm as RED,WHITE and BLUE as anybody...

In fact, when I hunt with my Garand M1, I pretend the DEER are KRAUTS...LOL...

However, I still love the 7x57, 8x57, 9.3 x 62 and others with that nasty MM label....hehehehe...

How about supporting our allies ?

Is it ok to hunt with the .303 BR in support of the Brits, Canadians, and Aussies..?..

• Like 1

Shucks, Joe, I'm as RED,WHITE and BLUE as anybody...

In fact, when I hunt with my Garand M1, I pretend the DEER are KRAUTS...LOL...

However, I still love the 7x57, 8x57, 9.3 x 62 and others with that nasty MM label....hehehehe...

How about supporting our allies ?

Is it ok to hunt with the .303 BR in support of the Brits, Canadians, and Aussies..?..

LOL, I think it's legal to hunt with any of those, but I'm not selling my American soul to hunt with Soviet communist junk ;)

I'm probably not lugging around that heavy garand in the Alleghenies either, LOL :D

The Garand may be heavy, but to those of us who grew up watching the series COMBAT on TV, it's a thing of beauty...<<sigh>>...

They are sweet shooters, too, partly because of the weight.

The small arms on the destroyer that I served aboard 1971-1973 were all of WWII vintage...We had about about a dozen M1's, half a dozen Thompson SMGs, 3 or 4 BARs , ONE .30 Carbine( must have been earmarked for an officer leading a boarding party) plus a dozen or so 1911 .45s. We also had a half dozen M12 Winchesters complete with perforated handguards and bayonet lugs. I'd like to have one of THOSE today...

Oh yeah...We also had one Browning air cooled .30 cal. , tripod mounted.

$150 for a Mosin is about $300 more than it's worth.

I think you are underestimating it's abilities.  No, it's not a Mauser or an M1, but they work.  The one I bought for next to nothing shoots a lot better than I expected.  It is definitely accurate enough for deer hunting and without a doubt has minute of MAN accuracy.  Where else can you buy a rifle in a high powered caliber for the money you can buy one of these??

People should also not forget that plenty of Germans fell to the 7.62X54R along with other calibers, before they think that only the .30-06 put them down.

Edited by steve863

I think you are underestimating it's abilities.  No, it's not a Mauser or an M1, but they work.  The one I bought for next to nothing shoots a lot better than I expected.  It is definitely accurate enough for deer hunting and without a doubt has minute of MAN accuracy.  Where else can you buy a rifle in a high powered caliber for the money you can buy one of these??

People should also not forget that plenty of Germans fell to the 7.62X54R along with other calibers, before they think that only the .30-06 put them down.

The 7.62x54 certainly killed it's share of Germans ( and thier allies) on the Eastern Front.. It was the standard chambering for battle rifles and machineguns including those on armor and aircraft.

The 7.62x 25 SMG round killed plenty too. If you watch war footage from the eastern Front, it sometimes seems that every other Russki infantryman is carrying one of those "Russian Guitar" SMGs...I have seen entire squads armed with them.

When I mentioned killing Germans, my reference was American enemy combatants. It’s true the Eastern front if WW2 in Europe was where the move vicious and longest part of the war was fought. In fact D-Day and at the bulge we fought remnants of what was left over from the eastern front along with some 12yr old new recruits.

This whole thread started with the communist x39 and simply put the AMERICAN .30-06 is the superior to any eastern European communist crap.  My whole notion was that the .30-06 is superior and I stand by my statement: “The .30-06 has killed more American enemy combatants AND North American big game, than any other bullet.”

• 9 months later...

Here my view on the 7.62 x 39 it’s a better pistol round then a rifle round pretty cool in a Tc. Now for the AR verses the AK. Going to war anywhere on this planet I’ll take the AR/M-4 over the AK every time. But if I was told I was going to an alien planet and can only take one weapon it would be an AK-47 you can break it and its good an enough.