2 year old meat?

BKhunter

I just found a pack of stew meat from the 2012 season. It must have gotten lost in the shuffle in my chest freezer. It was vacuum packed. Would you guys still eat it? Thinking of grinding it to make either chili or burgers. Haven't really perfected my stews yet. Some cubes come out tender and other ones come out dry. Since its old I think I'm better grinding it but would like to hear everyones thoughts.

I found a package from 2009 earlier this past fall. Got lost in the shuffle like yours. Was vacuum sealed as well. Pulled it out to thaw and marinated for 2 days in fridge. Grilled it and the kids and I tore that venison up with no issues. You should be fine.

• Like 1

Vacuume packed stuff lasts a long time in the freezer. It's the cold air in the freezers that ruins meat. I have even eaten 1+ year old venison that was wrapped tightly W/2 layers of saran wrap & a layer of freezer paper.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Pure venison ,np, if it was burger mixed with pork toss it. Mixed with beef suet eat it. Pork fat doesn't freeze solid so it rots while in your freezer. Beef and venison fat freezes solid so no breakdown occurs. Heck they have eaten frozen baby mammoth at 10000 years old....

Pure venison ,np, if it was burger mixed with pork toss it. Mixed with beef suet eat it. Pork fat doesn't freeze solid so it rots while in your freezer. Beef and venison fat freezes solid so no breakdown occurs. Heck they have eaten frozen baby mammoth at 10000 years old....

pork fat rots in the freezer?......I have to say that's the first time I'm hearing that.

Vacuume packed stuff lasts a long time in the freezer. It's the cold air in the freezers that ruins meat. I have even eaten 1+ year old venison that was wrapped tightly W/2 layers of saran wrap & a layer of freezer paper.

I used a vacuum sealer for the first time this year.  Until then, all I've ever done is a wrapping with Saran Wrap then freezer paper.  Well over 100 deer and a handful of elk & antelope and never had any problem with two year old venison, none at all.

The only thing that ever had some freezer burn was some sausage links because of some air pockets.  Trimmed then ate.............

You can Google it, pork fat only lasts 6 months in a freezer.. most gamey venison I've eaten is in a venison burger in july that was mixed with pork...

You can send all the 6 month old venison/pork to me..........

Although I don't mix pork with my burger it is in the sausage I have made and perfectly fine even two years later.

Edited by Lawdwaz

Perhaps next year the majority of our meat will be 2.5 years or older BEFORE it goes in the freezer. :no:

If one gets busted by a DEC officer for killing a 1.5 year old, maybe they can use the excuse that it will be put in the freezer and not be eaten for a year, so technically it can be considered a 2.5 year old??  You can tell him that you let it age in your freezer!  Worth a try anyway.  LOL

I've had venison that's vac packed and older than a year.  seemed no different than stuff under a year old.  with different people saying stuff about fat mixed in I wonder what the deal is with keeping frozen hot dogs or summer sausage.  does it not matter because it's technically cooked?  what do you all think with how long is lasts in the freezer?

I've had venison that's vac packed and older than a year.  seemed no different than stuff under a year old.  with different people saying stuff about fat mixed in I wonder what the deal is with keeping frozen hot dogs or summer sausage.  does it not matter because it's technically cooked?  what do you all think with how long is lasts in the freezer?

I guess this link basically answers the question.

2 years should be fine. After 2 unproductive seasons, all I have is 2 year old venison :(     I separate the packs and put them in paper grocery bags. Reduces freezer burn.

Made some chili 2 nights ago with some of the burger. Good stuff.

You can have mixed burger but everyone seems to use pork, used a new butcher 1x and he used pork, burger was tasting funny after about 8 months, I tend to keep meat a long time as its just me and I put several in the freezer. Butcher friend said no fat or beef suet and I never have had an issue since. The reserch I've done since really does support it.

You can have mixed burger but everyone seems to use pork, used a new butcher 1x and he used pork, burger was tasting funny after about 8 months, I tend to keep meat a long time as its just me and I put several in the freezer. Butcher friend said no fat or beef suet and I never have had an issue since. The reserch I've done since really does support it.

I've never seen the need to mix it with anything prior to freezing, if the recipe calls for it I'll do it after I defrost the venison and just before cooking..........and going back to the pork fat issue, ever see how they make proscuitto......yikes!

I'll have venison summer sausage and hot dogs here pretty soon and I'm curious how long they'd keep.  for my ground venison I don't mix anything else in with it and usually trim it more than most I know.  I try to use that ground meat up by the following season.