2 year old meat?

BKhunter

I assume everybody here is NOT putting their venison in a frost-free freezer.  It sure won't last long in one of those and I think the link provided is speaking of that type of freezer.

A non-frost free freezer is where all my meat is stored.

I assume everybody here is NOT putting their venison in a frost-free freezer.  It sure won't last long in one of those and I think the link provided is speaking of that type of freezer.

A non-frost free freezer is where all my meat is stored.

Why a none frost free freezer? Just asking.

Why a none frost free freezer? Just asking.

Swiped off the web in much more understandable way than I could do....... :)

Here it is:

Frost free freezers don't dehydrate meat via air circulation, they dehydrate meats (and other foods) due to the freeze/thaw cycle that allows them to be frost free.

When the frost free cycle runs, it partially thaws your food. The edges of the food will thaw and then refreeze, causing the ice crystallization to pull water from the edges of the food. After enough cycles of this, it will turn your food into leather.

Regular freezers don't have this problem since once the food is frozen, it stays frozen--the water never recrystalizes.

If you don't vacuum pack your food before storing it, it will keep longer in a regular freezer. However, if you vacuum pack your meats (and other freezables) they will suffer only minor damage even in a frost free freezer because there are no air voids for the water to accumulate and crystallize and draw the water from the food.

I have never had any issues with well packaged venison, vacuum sealed lasts longer. I also am calling some bull on the pork no longer than 6 months. I buy whole loins when on sale for smoking and have no issues as well with sausages I make with venison and pork mixed. They are all just fine and tasty.

• Like 1

I have never had any issues with well packaged venison, vacuum sealed lasts longer. I also am calling some bull on the pork no longer than 6 months. I buy whole loins when on sale for smoking and have no issues as well with sausages I make with venison and pork mixed. They are all just fine and tasty.

I think there's a few guys who raise and butcher their on pigs, I doubt their eating it all in 6 months...maybe they can jump in and tell us about it.