Black Bear Hunt in Quebec

rotorooter23

Man a lot of people go to Canada bear hunting. When you can go to maine. I went in August. Our taxidermist told us if you can't freeze it. Put the hide in one garbage bag. Then put the bag in another bag. With lots of ice. It worked great. When folding it up make sure start with head and that is covered by the rest of hide. Need to be careful of the ears. Price wise you will be surprised. Mine was 5' bear I'm looking at $2500 my fathers was 6-7' bear so he's looking at $3500. So be ready. Good luck.

• Like 1

It is ringing me up around 1400 for cabin and fishing from the 20th-27th. 

925 for just the bear hunt

For that price why wouldn't you just go to Maine and hunt bear, they use the same tactics and bears are pretty similar in size.  For that price you should be able to have your pick of spring/fall hunt over bait or even a fall hunt with hounds.  Or as Biz said go out west, you can hunt them for about that same price point as your speaking about above and get the opportunity at a color phase while spotting and stalking as opposed to sitting in a stand over bait for hours.  

• Like 1

I took my son to New Brunswick for a combination bear hunt / salmon fishing trip on the Miramichi river for his 21st birthday..We went a little too early (dont pick opening week not necessary) but still saw bears and the fishing was fantastic.I would highly recommend Canada for a hunting trip..the people are very nice and the scenery was outstanding. I've hunted Canada twice and they always seem to bend over backwards to make sure you have a great time..

Bring your therma-cell and plenty of refills.

Someone mentioned practicing drawing your bow with a headnet on = good advice

Its truly amazing how such a big animal can be soooo quiet and stealthy in the woods...those bears KNOW your hunting them and know where the stands are.

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN

I went to Aberta in 2004. Me and a buddy, 2 bears each and it was spot and stalk. Alberta is also high percentage color phase.

That's awesome. Any pics? I shot a coyote in Alberta on a Wolf hunt but didn't see any bears because it was winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went in 2013 to Quebec 7 hours North of Montreal.

Bugs are the real deal, buy the best bug suit you can, full suit you will need it you will still get bit.

Dropped off at site 1pm picked up at 1030 PM.... chainsaws in your ears from the bugs.

Hunted from the ground behind a brush blind.

3rd night I shot this Bear at 445PM, bear tagged and at my pick up point by 5pm.  Still picked up at 10:30 PM,

therma cells broke the guaranteed hunt.  9 in camp 5 got bears.  Fishing was OK but water temp was still very cold.   Not sure I would go to Quebec again, Western Canada with the bow for sure

My mount was around $980 and I love it.

20140401_123917_zpscf1d5374.jpg

Edited by WesternNY

For that price why wouldn't you just go to Maine and hunt bear, they use the same tactics and bears are pretty similar in size. For that price you should be able to have your pick of spring/fall hunt over bait or even a fall hunt with hounds. Or as Biz said go out west, you can hunt them for about that same price point as your speaking about above and get the opportunity at a color phase while spotting and stalking as opposed to sitting in a stand over bait for hours.

I guess it's not more or less the money thing but to have that experiance with my family for a week and not have a cell phone. Also the experiance of hunting out of the states and add it to my resume. I'm sure Maine is great and most likely someday hit that as well. It's just as easy for me to go up with them who have been going for years. The opportunity came and I took it. As much as I would rather plan a trip out west to hunt whitetail, this came first. Edited by rotorooter23
  • Like 1

I went in 2013 to Quebec 7 hours North of Montreal.

Bugs are the real deal, buy the best bug suit you can, full suit you will need it you will still get bit.

Dropped off at site 1pm picked up at 1030 PM.... chainsaws in your ears from the bugs.

Hunted from the ground behind a brush blind.

3rd night I shot this Bear at 445PM, bear tagged and at my pick up point by 5pm. Still picked up at 10:30 PM,

therma cells broke the guaranteed hunt. 9 in camp 5 got bears. Fishing was OK but water temp was still very cold. Not sure I would go to Quebec again, Western Canada with the bow for sure

My mount was around $980 and I love it.

20140401_123917_zpscf1d5374.jpg

That is a great looking mount!

That's awesome. Any pics? I shot a coyote in Alberta on a Wolf hunt but didn't see any bears because it was winter.

Pics are on another computer. It was a great hunt. Wolves there too. Another plus about Alberta was no flies.

I guess it's not more or less the money thing but to have that experiance with my family for a week and not have a cell phone. Also the experiance of hunting out of the states and add it to my resume. I'm sure Maine is great and most likely someday hit that as well. It's just as easy for me to go up with them who have been going for years. The opportunity came and I took it. As much as I would rather plan a trip out west to hunt whitetail, this came first.

All great reasons to book this trip here and now....

First trip was to Quebec some years ago and it the spark to travel on more than a few trips with a gun or rod.

Sounds like a good time.

• Like 1

one piece of advice......get a good, thick cushion to sit on.

Yep. And a Thermacell. You are going to need both.

A couple guys asked "Why not Maine"? I've hunted both, seems to me the bears in Maine are smaller & more pressured than they are in Quebec, Quebec has a spring season, and you can fish for walleye & pike in the mornings, bear hunt in the afternoon.

Yep. And a Thermacell. You are going to need both.

A couple guys asked "Why not Maine"? I've hunted both, seems to me the bears in Maine are smaller & more pressured than they are in Quebec, Quebec has a spring season, and you can fish for walleye & pike in the mornings, bear hunt in the afternoon.

It all dependes where u hunt in Maine and how much property your guide has in Maine. If the outfitter has a lot of stands and lots of property. Hunting pressure will be very low. How big where the bear you got in Quebec

It all dependes where u hunt in Maine and how much property your guide has in Maine. If the outfitter has a lot of stands and lots of property. Hunting pressure will be very low. How big where the bear you got in Quebec

Hunted near Mt Kitadhin in Maine, killed one that was 240#, the outfitter called it a "mahn-stah".   :rofl: Most of the others killed in camp were 125-150#, this was at the end of summer while they were fattening up for the winter.

Killed one in Quebec near Lake Kipawa that was 300#, this was in the spring not long after ice-out.

Big country in Maine, mostly owned by logging companies. Even bigger country once you get into Canada. Not really a lot of pressure like you would see here in PA, no organized drives, but there are more guys hunting less bear in Maine than there is in Canada.

• Like 1

Hunted near Mt Kitadhin in Maine, killed one that was 240#, the outfitter called it a "mahn-stah". :rofl: Most of the others killed in camp were 125-150#, this was at the end of summer while they were fattening up for the winter.

Killed one in Quebec near Lake Kipawa that was 300#, this was in the spring not long after ice-out.

Big country in Maine, mostly owned by logging companies. Even bigger country once you get into Canada. Not really a lot of pressure like you would see here in PA, no organized drives, but there are more guys hunting less bear in Maine than there is in Canada.

I hunt with outfitter called Mtn.view in portage. I've never seen woods like that before. The lease so much propriety from the loggers has permits for 100 stands. What's nice is the closest they will put u to another hunter it 1/4 of mile. My father 2 yrs ago got 245lb one. This yr we did real good. I got one 205lb and my father got one 465lb. I love it up there.

I hunt with outfitter called Mtn.view in portage. I've never seen woods like that before. The lease so much propriety from the loggers has permits for 100 stands. What's nice is the closest they will put u to another hunter it 1/4 of mile. My father 2 yrs ago got 245lb one. This yr we did real good. I got one 205lb and my father got one 465lb. I love it up there.

Mountain View Drifter? Is it bait or dogs?

• 4 months later...

Uncle Nicky....Gotta LOVE that " Down East" dialect.....

I grew up in the Southern Tier along the PA border...

On my first trip to Maine I learned that the words "deer" and "bear" each have two syllables.  They are pronounced " DEE-yah" and BAY-yah"....