Disturbing article in NY Outdoor News

jjb4900

did anyone else read the article where a Father allowed his son to illegally kill a buck before he was old enough? The buck was also illegally tagged by a relative........the Crooks actually were supported by people who raised money to help pay for the fines the family was given for this act....The father was later quoted as saying this was the result of "jealous people" and " They will never take away our memories and the proudest day of my life"..........unbelievable to say the least.

did anyone else read the article where a Father allowed his son to illegally kill a buck before he was old enough? The buck was also illegally tagged by a relative........the Crooks actually were supported by people who raised money to help pay for the fines the family was given for this act....The father was later quoted as saying this was the result of "jealous people" and " They will never take away our memories and the proudest day of my life"..........unbelievable to say the least.

Disturbing? I don't find it disturbing. Do I agree with the actions? Not at all. I do think his commentary sucks.

What I see is an ethical/moral diversion from the law based on their belief system. Does it make it OK? No, but its also not disturbing. I find the terrorist attacks in Paris disturbing (which ironically is a diversion on law, too, based on their belief system). I find the father in florida who threw his girl over a bridge disturbing.

I find this to be filed in the same category as crossing a property line at 2:00 a.m. to retrieve a deer you shot because the landowner has denied permission to retrieve after you've exhausted efforts pre and post hunt. I find this to be similar to shooting a deer hit by a car that is suffering and choosing to not wait for the authorities. Against the law? Yes. Disturbing? No.

NY's hunting age regs suck. This is someone acting out against it.

Edited by phade
  • Like 8

This reminds me of hunting with family at 10 years old helping drive deer. Again illegal but wrong???? I don't think so...i will say if the dad had tagged the deer himself instead of someone else I would also feel a lil different....if he was with him in stand or whatnot had a ethical shot and had tagged himself what's wrong with that. There are many states that allow that.

• Like 3

Disturbing Lmao   If you think that is disturbing you need to get a life..........

• Like 1

Disturbing? I don't find it disturbing. Do I agree with the actions? Not at all. I do think his commentary sucks.

What I see is an ethical/moral diversion from the law based on their belief system. Does it make it OK? No, but its also not disturbing. I find the terrorist attacks in Paris disturbing (which ironically is a diversion on law, too, based on their belief system). I find the father in florida who threw his girl over a bridge disturbing.

I find this to be filed in the same category as crossing a property line at 2:00 a.m. to retrieve a deer you shot because the landowner has denied permission to retrieve after you've exhausted efforts pre and post hunt. I find this to be similar to shooting a deer hit by a car that is suffering and choosing to not wait for the authorities. Against the law? Yes. Disturbing? No.

NY's hunting age regs suck. This is someone acting out against it.

I find anytime a child is told it's ok to do something illegal and then if you get caught to blame everyone else, to be pretty far out there as far as right and wrong go........and good move by Dad putting it out there on facebook, probably the smartest move of all.  I find it hard to believe that anyone who would make those moral/ethical /legal decisions that you mentioned, would choose to involve their kids in it. I wonder what the Dad said to the kid right before they got caught? probably either "watch this" or "hold my beer".

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

This reminds me of a case where a local and under age boy that was out with his father who was teaching the young fellow how to jack deer and not get caught.And the fathers very good friend was caught a number of times and ticked by the local ECON officer for illegal hunting practices. Some people just do not give a hoot. And most likely never had a hunting lic.

Was this guy from Long Island? I read a post during gun season on FB that this guy let his 5 or 6 year old pull the trigger on a deer. When I read it I couldn't believe he posted the story.

and I bet this is the first time they ever put another family members tag on a deer that wasn't killed by them.....just another one of those ethical/moral diversions, nothing to be concerned about.

I need a set of handcuffs put on me. To be totally honest my Father let me shoot a squirrel when I was only 10. I was out with him, it was sitting there. I asked if he would please let me and that crook of an old man actually let me squeeze the trigger on that .410. He also used to let me jump on brush piles for him to chase the rabbits out. Must be some kind of driving rabbits or assisting in a Rabbit hunt Law we broke on that one....Seriously, If the kid was with his Dad and the Dad tagged it, there probably wouldn't have been a ticket even written, IMO. NY is way behind in allowing youth to participate. Breaking the law, yes.

• Like 5

I had read the article . I thought it was odd that people would support the illegal activity . Nothing like teaching a kid how to poach . And...... for the dumb ass to mention this on FaceBook . Brain Scan !

yeah, I don't get it, do some find it "OK" because a child is involved? if the father killed that same deer illegally and got a family members tag to put on it, would these same people think it's "OK"? I bet not.......

and the fact that the Father let the kid pull the trigger is the least of the things I found to be "disturbingly" funny..............the getting of the Aunt's tag to use (we all know how pissed off many guys get about that), the putting it on Facebook and the Town rallying around them (what else goes on around there) really are what stands out.

• Like 2

and the fact that the Father let the kid pull the trigger is the least of the things I found to be "disturbingly" funny..............the getting of the Aunt's tag to use (we all know how pissed off many guys get about that), the putting it on Facebook and the Town rallying around them (what else goes on around there) really are what stands out.

I am with you on that one.

I find anytime a child is told it's ok to do something illegal and then if you get caught to blame everyone else, to be pretty far out there as far as right and wrong go........and good move by Dad putting it out there on facebook, probably the smartest move of all.  I find it hard to believe that anyone who would make those moral/ethical /legal decisions that you mentioned, would choose to involve their kids in it. I wonder what the Dad said to the kid right before they got caught? probably either "watch this" or "hold my beer".

Heh, your household must be full of glass because no mistakes can be made because its far out there.

Thank God my parents were willing to use parental judgement to break the law to let me grow/experience life.

I agree with you on the circus he made out of it.

The premise however, that breaking the law at deemed appropriate times, is as far out there as can be is flawed. I do think the coverup was lame...Most people probably support the act of the kid hunting/shooting, but not the cover-up.

Thinking back on the laws my parents broke (sorry mom and dad):

• fireworks
  • letting me drive around the school parking lot and back roads at 14/15
  • Letting me sip a beer at special occassions as I neared adulthood
  • Shooting the squirrels before I had my hunter's ed course (ha Culver...)
  • Participating in deer drives in similar fashion (ha again)
  • I'm sure I forgot some.

That reckless abandonment of the law. No wonder I grew up to be a mass murderer. Isn't that how it works? Small deviant behavior? Good grief.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Idiot to post it. Breaking law yes and the support her had Dr om community shows how common something like this is. Know a guy who's kid shot 2 deer on youth weekend ,posTed it on fb. Was ignorant of law ,told him he better learn the laws,should I ov turned him in maybe. Idk I like to believe that it was unintentional and won't happen again, why punish the child, teach them they were wrong and if it happens again I would turn him in. I know they eat them so it wasn't a trophy hunt by any means.

• Like 1

Heh, your household must be full of glass because no mistakes can be made because its far out there.

Thank God my parents were willing to use parental judgement to break the law to let me grow/experience life.

I agree with you on the circus he made out of it.

The premise however, that breaking the law at deemed appropriate times, is as far out there as can be is flawed. I do think the coverup was lame...Most people probably support the act of the kid hunting/shooting, but not the cover-up.

Thinking back on the laws my parents broke (sorry mom and dad):

• fireworks
  • letting me drive around the school parking lot and back roads at 14/15
  • Letting me sip a beer at special occassions as I neared adulthood
  • Shooting the squirrels before I had my hunter's ed course (ha Culver...)
  • Participating in deer drives in similar fashion (ha again)
  • I'm sure I forgot some.

That reckless abandonment of the law. No wonder I grew up to be a mass murderer. Isn't that how it works? Small deviant behavior? Good grief.

and I'm willing to bet that everything you mentioned was carried out under the watchful eye of intelligent parents like probably 98% of us....... I don't remember my parents ever putting my shady "accomplishments" out for the entire State to read about. Those moral/ethical things you mentioned earlier are situations you're put into, you don't wake up in the morning and plan on having to make those calls.......that's a lot different than intentionally setting out to break two or three different laws, or maybe not in your book.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

and I'm willing to bet that everything you mentioned was carried out under the watchful eye of intelligent parents like probably 98% of us....... I don't remember my parents ever putting my shady "accomplishments" out for the entire State to read about. Those moral/ethical things you mentioned earlier are situations you're put into, you don't wake up in the morning and plan on having to make those calls.......that's a lot different than intentionally setting out to break two or three different laws, or maybe not in your book.

Ok so breaking some laws are ok and not disturbing? just trying to see this ever moving line of demarcation.
  • Like 1

Ya, breaking the law is not wise, even if the law is ignorant like NYS hunting age laws.  This would have probably been a perfectly legal hunt in other states like PA.

Ok so breaking some laws are ok and not disturbing? just trying to see this ever moving line of demarcation.

the breaking of the laws is not disturbing at all.....we all know it goes on and apparently is quite acceptable...........what I found odd, is the outcry from the 'villagers" backing this when usually people are totally disgusted by anyone who uses another's tag on a buck they didn't kill, because we all know how sacred an animal that is. The fact that the Father, who is of an obvious superior intelligence, had the ingenious idea to put it on social media and fact that he further embarrassed himself by making ridiculous statements defending it are only an added bonus. 

the breaking of the laws is not disturbing at all.....we all know it goes on and apparently is quite acceptable...........what I found odd, is the outcry from the 'villagers" backing this when usually people are totally disgusted by anyone who uses another's tag on a buck they didn't kill, because we all know how sacred an animal that is. The fact that the Father, who is of an obvious superior intelligence, had the ingenious idea to put it on social media and fact that he further embarrassed himself by making ridiculous statements defending it are only an added bonus.

I think they are supporting the premise but not the actions. I agree with you on that part.