Disturbing article in NY Outdoor News

jjb4900

Well I can't find where I said it was OK they used someone else's tag, so shouldn't that just give you a clue and answer for your question

right, so let's look at the story in it's entirety instead of picking it apart and finding the acceptable parts and adding a lot of outside "what ifs" and "what other states allow" and every other twist that can be put on it....but like I said, this is a hunting site that many express their displeasure of hunting violators on, but chose to twist it every which way and what not....it is an eye opener as to what is accepted as far as hunting violations go. 

• Like 1

Well I can't find either where I said "what if" or other "states allow"

was talking about responses in general...and you did pick out the part that you found acceptable, unless I read you response wrong.........but this thread has pretty much ran its course and we learned that breaking game laws is not really as frowned upon by some as I thought.

Edited by jjb4900

was talking about responses in general...and you did pick out the part that you found acceptable, unless I read you response wrong.........but this thread has pretty much ran its course and we learned that breaking game laws is not really as frowned upon by some as I thought.

One reason why I hate conversations through computer or text message.....can't tell a persons true emotion.........my bad

I don't think 10 yr olds are up on the laws. If someone was to take their kid hunting before legal age, and didn't say anything, they would never know..Therefor not creating a future law-breaker as some seem to think.

Yeah,then this kid tells his 10 year old buddy whose parents abide by the law and plan to take him hunting when he is of legal age that he shot a deer. How will that pan out?

Absolutely mind boggling that you guys would allow your kids first deer to be an illegal one. Bending the rules for yourself is one thing, but starting a kid off on the wrong foot with their first kill is as bad as it gets. Don't give a crap who this offends either.

• Like 2

I was given a .22 when I was 10 as well as my 2 older brothers when they were 10. We had bb guns when we were 8. We were the terror of the pond/swamp shooting snapping turtles and frogs,tin cans old.bottles interested family trash dump. I don't know if those age laws were in effect then. But I was only supervised by my brothers who ae 2 and 3 years old er than me,,

that said I would not tag a deer my son or daugher shot with some one else's tag nor advertise it. Why that bothers.me so much idk but it just feels.like stealing. Using his own tag maybe it would not bother me as sacral ice of his own tag was given to the child.but to get a tag so presumably he could.keep hunting is stealing from other hunters. Against the law.for sure but it's the greed/selfishness that bothers me more.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

Yeah,then this kid tells his 10 year old buddy whose parents abide by the law and plan to take him hunting when he is of legal age that he shot a deer. How will that pan out?

Absolutely mind boggling that you guys would allow your kids first deer to be an illegal one. Bending the rules for yourself is one thing, but starting a kid off on the wrong foot with their first kill is as bad as it gets. Don't give a crap who this offends either.

one time my Dad and I were smoking pot because he said it was ok, and when the cops came I handed the joint off to my Aunt and she said it was hers, thought we were in the clear until my genius Dad put it on Facebook..........really went south after that, I hate when that happens.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

and another time when I was 13, my Dad, who doesn't have a drivers license, let me sit on his lap and drive while I was sipping a beer, luckily my Aunt was there to slide into the driver's seat when we got pulled over.........close call, and then dopey Dad went and put it on Facebook........as they say, the rest is history, or you can read it in the local paper if you want.

Unless you've NEVER broken a regulation of some sort (not stopping a full three seconds, going 56 mph, catch and release fishing for bass prior to season, drinking under age, having 8 bullets in your hand gun, possessing moon shine, shooting before legal light etc, etc, etc)... you are simply being an internet hypocrite. 

I'm not saying which if any of those types of things I support, just making a point that I doubt any of you are as pure as you type. Lots of bad things about what this guy did, but having the underage kid pull the trigger is not one of them in my opinion (law or not). There is something to be said for teaching your child to make their own thought out decision in an increasingly PC world. 

I smoked cigarettes for a lot of years, but I would never tell my kids that they should start smoking. That may meet your screwy ideas of hypocrisy but it still meets the criteria of responsible parenting. I hope I'm not telling any of the parents here some kind of special "news flash".

I don't believe anyone has "praised" lawbreakers, but an opportunity to expose how DISTURBING the law is!

Whats disturbing to me is I take my sweet 10 year old daughter to Pennsylvania and she LEGALLY kills a LEGAL deer and then I tell her iF she even thinks about doing it in NYS then its it's probably jail time for both her and me  :sorry:

Yes, different states have different laws. That's not a new discovery. Yes some laws make sense some do not. NYS has no corner on that. One thing they all have in common is that it is illegal to violate those state laws regardless of what state you are in or whether you agree with them or not. The legal system is not a code of "suggestions".

The words of support for this guy amounts to the same thing as praise to me and that is what I am reacting to. Perhaps "condoning" is a better word than "praise", but to me it all represents the same mentality that simply accepts law-breaking as proper conduct.

I see alot of people that portray they have never broken a law/reg in this thread. I almost think its physically impossible to say you have never broken the law - simply being alive almost makes it a guarantee a law will be broken at some time. Those righteous and divine people must be infallable. Usually they're the ones who end up having the dead bodies under the floor boards, right? Or the ones with banned clips tucked away in the closet.

These people read any degree of contextual understanding as the sky is falling. Grow just realized she broke the law teaching her kids to shoot and a rolling stop - guess what - remember that famous saying? Ignorance is no excuse. Well, let's go get Doc and NYAntler to arrest her because everybody else is in the same boat as Grow at some point in their life - a lawbreaker.

I don't remember anyone claiming that they have never broken a law. What is being claimed is the fact that the guy involved his kid and others and passed it off as being proper conduct, in effect instructing his kid that game laws can be ignored. This is a guy who advertises his disdain and disregard of the legal system. And the disgust being expressed here is about the support that he seems to get from others who apparently have the same mentality that he does.

Point #2: I did not hear Grow claiming that she thought her rolling stop was justified. She took her ticket without an argument. Nobody here is being divine or righteous, but simply acknowledging that we are a nation of laws and obligated to abide by those laws, and there is seldom any justification for willful disregard for those laws and then pretending to the world that they were right to do so.

• Like 1

I have no problem with a father letting his son shoot a deer with him under parental supervision......heck if there was a law that sent people to jail for shooting there first deer before they were 14 this sites members would drop in half......hell I'd be in jail too

Ha-ha-ha-ha .... Now there is a hell of  baseless assumption.

I don't think 10 yr olds are up on the laws. If someone was to take their kid hunting before legal age, and didn't say anything, they would never know.. Therefor not creating a future law-breaker as some seem to think.

You got to admit that they know after they get caught.. like the family the thread is about.

Culver we may be talking two different post here...The one you Quoted I was refering to the fact a certain person talked about ppl letting  kids shoot air guns and BB guns unsupervised....

This has to do with the written law then as the above quote shows their DEC law under that provision having yet a different age and I believe the law actually says a hunting certificate needs to have been issued first ..even with supervision at age 12... Now the above quote I just made shows this is before any certifications have ever been passed....I can say it's nit picky but the point... they write these laws half a$$ed...again kids should be able to shoot at a range SUPERVISED.

Who was talking about unsupervised? I must have missed that

I Believe it reads A instructor or parent with a hunter certificate can allow kids to target shoot with a gun...I have that and have been members of a gun club for years....if not the law enforcement officers also shooting...didn't seem to know the law either...hhmmm

pretty sure you're right about that, it's all in here if you feel like digging through this...

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm?zoom_highlight=weapons

Edited by jjb4900

pretty sure you're right about that, it's all in here if you feel like digging through this...

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm?zoom_highlight=weapons

265-20 subsection 7

firearms Under 12 is a no go under any circumstance. instructor or not, parent or not. range or not. hunting or not.

• Like 1

265-20 subsection 7

firearms Under 12 is a no go under any circumstance. instructor or not, parent or not. range or not. hunting or not.

I put it up for the ones who were debating age...........I didn't go back through this thread to see what ages were in question.

Edited by jjb4900