Disturbing article in NY Outdoor News

jjb4900

There was no outcry from people for using someone else tag because its second nature to many and so many people now do it that its no big deal. I do not believe some laws are for the better and those laws are the ones i push, just as all of you. Just because i smoke with my left had makes me a crook here but not a crook in other states. The dad letting him shoot i have no problem with but it would have had my tag on it and it would have only been known by a very tight nit group of people.

I think the guy is an asshat. I dont think many would disagree with that. I think support came from the kid component and the fact many dont agree with the age law. Using another tag besides his and the posting etc is way off kilter.

But its apparent there is some degree of support based on the crowd funding. Maybe that would satisfy nyantlers requirement that others join in, at least they are financially. Lol.

OK, where's a link to the actual article? Not Photo Shopped image, a real link to the article.. I want an actual link to a legitimate web site. 

What the hell do you want ? I scanned and posted the article .It is on page 13 of the January 9 ,2015 New York Outdoor NEWS . Top of the page .

The scanned article is posted at the top of page 2 in this thread .

• Like 3

It's the 21st post in this thread . Top of page 2 on my computer . The July 9 edition is probably still on the news stands for those that want to see it rather than believe a scanned article on here .

O sorry it's on pg 3 on my phone (tap talk) thanks for posting it was more for him if he wanted to see it again

What is with all this worship of law-breakers? You all think it is ok to teach your kids about picking and choosing which laws are to be broken based of an opinion. Praise the lawbreakers and mock those that abide by the law ...... great message to pass on to your children. If there is anything that the word "disturbing" should be used for, it is the mass-support for teaching children to ignore laws. And that is exactly what a lot of the replies on this thread are expressing. 

• Like 2

What is with all this worship of law-breakers? You all think it is ok to teach your kids about picking and choosing which laws are to be broken based of an opinion. Praise the lawbreakers and mock those that abide by the law ...... great message to pass on to your children. If there is anything that the word "disturbing" should be used for, it is the mass-support for teaching children to ignore laws. And that is exactly what a lot of the replies on this thread are expressing. 

Unless you've NEVER broken a regulation of some sort (not stopping a full three seconds, going 56 mph, catch and release fishing for bass prior to season, drinking under age, having 8 bullets in your hand gun, possessing moon shine, shooting before legal light etc, etc, etc)... you are simply being an internet hypocrite. 

I'm not saying which if any of those types of things I support, just making a point that I doubt any of you are as pure as you type. Lots of bad things about what this guy did, but having the underage kid pull the trigger is not one of them in my opinion (law or not). There is something to be said for teaching your child to make their own thought out decision in an increasingly PC world. 

• Like 3

I haven't had to pull out the dictionary for a while...I find the attitudes and foolish grip yes foolish...some of you took on his choice of words over the content of the article disturbing....He has NO reason to apologize.

disturbing adjective

causing embarrassment <there was a disturbing silence as I struggled to remember her name>
causing worry or anxiety <a disturbing trend in the nation's energy consumption>
Antonyms reassuring
marked by or causing agitation or uncomfortable feelings <a disturbing pause in the normally smooth operation of the machinery>
Near Antonyms restful; pacific

Edited by growalot

I wonder how many of the guys that find this disturbing have let their kids that are below the NYS minimum age, shoot a BB gun, a 22, or other firearm. Regardless of how well you supervised it, its illegal.

Bottom line, to me, is this state sucks. My daughter is 100% ready to hunt under proper supervision. Ill probably end up taking her to another state to get her first deer, because of NYs arbitrary age limits. Would all 10 year olds be ready? No, but I think I have a far better idea of what she can and cant handle than some politician that has never spent any time around her, has no idea of her knowledge or skills set.

Do I approve of what these people did? No, but only because it was against the law. The tag thing, yeah, I dont approve of that.

JMO

• Like 3

Unless you've NEVER broken a regulation of some sort (not stopping a full three seconds, going 56 mph, catch and release fishing for bass prior to season, drinking under age, having 8 bullets in your hand gun, possessing moon shine, shooting before legal light etc, etc, etc)... you are simply being an internet hypocrite. 

I'm not saying which if any of those types of things I support, just making a point that I doubt any of you are as pure as you type. Lots of bad things about what this guy did, but having the underage kid pull the trigger is not one of them in my opinion (law or not). There is something to be said for teaching your child to make their own thought out decision in an increasingly PC world. 

Interesting. So committing a felony is the the same as a traffic infraction? Not that the guy committed a felony, just saying. 

But that is what you are inferring here. So if you speed on the highway, you can not have an opinion about someone violating game laws?

Speeding at 56 mph is only a traffic infraction. Not criminal at all.

Well now I have to admitt ignorance to this WNYBH...for teaching a child to shoot at a TARGET and not an animal with say a shotgun/ bow as I did with my children  BEFORE getting them to their safety course so they could show proficiencey when the instructor asked for them to shoot...Which by the way did not happen. But they were asked as a group who had knowlege of handling and shooting a gun/bow. I would think that having such knowlege before having the legal ability to shoot a live animal would make sense to the State.

There is a huge difference between what you have pointed out and the blatant disregard for the hunting laws and then celebrating the breaking of the law. Not a challenge here just a request...where is that in print  so I and others can review it.

Edited by growalot

Well now I have to admitt ignorance to this WNYBH...for teaching a child to shoot at a TARGET and not an animal with say a shotgun/ bow as I did with my children  BEFORE getting them to their safety course so they could show proficiencey when the instructor asked for them to shoot...Which by the way did not happen. But they were asked as a group who had knowlege of handling and shooting a gun/bow. I would think that having such knowlege before having the legal ability to shoot a live animal would make sense to the State.

There is a huge difference between what you have pointed out and the blatant disregard for the hunting laws and then celebrating the breaking of the law. Not a challenge here just a request...where is that in print  so I and others can review it.

I assume this is what you were asking for?

S 265.05 Unlawful possession of weapons by persons under sixteen.

It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of sixteen to

possess any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon in which

the propelling force is a spring or air, or any gun or any instrument or

weapon in or upon which any loaded or blank cartridges may be used, or

any loaded or blank cartridges or ammunition therefor, or any dangerous

knife; provided that the possession of rifle or shotgun or ammunition

therefor by the holder of a hunting license or permit issued pursuant to

article eleven of the environmental conservation law and used in

accordance with said law shall not be governed by this section.

A person who violates the provisions of this section shall be

adjudged a juvenile delinquent.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 3

JFB....

(not stopping a full three seconds,

Ya I did when at a T intersection on Alfred State college leaving campus...I also pulled over and took the ticket that the officer gave me for a "rolling stop" I payed a 30 dollar fine for that in 1977....I have never done it again and I didn't think of trying to justify it becuase it was Just a T intersection and I could clearly see, not a single car was coming from the  the only 2 directions a car could come from...

How that incident could ever in ten million years relate to say being OK or relevant to..one of my biggest pet peeves illegally tagging a buck with someone else tag is beyond me.

How is it different? If I let my daughter handle or shoot a gun of any kind, its just as much of a disregard for the law, is it not?

Just look up NYS gun laws if you want the exact statute numbers, but NYF has a good plain english version here:

http://nyfirearms.com/blog/nys-gun-laws/

"Generally, it is unlawful for anyone under the age of 16 to possess any firearm; however, a rifle or shotgun may be possessed by a person between 12 and 16 who is engaged in target shooting on a range supervised by a military officer, certified instructor, or a parent, guardian or a person over the age of eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian provided the adult has a hunter safety certificate."

I don't believe anyone has "praised" lawbreakers, but an opportunity to expose how DISTURBING the law is!

Whats disturbing to me is I take my sweet 10 year old daughter to Pennsylvania and she LEGALLY kills a LEGAL deer and then I tell her iF she even thinks about doing it in NYS then its it's probably jail time for both her and me  :sorry:

• Like 2

I don't believe anyone has "praised" lawbreakers, but an opportunity to expose how DISTURBING the law is!

Whats disturbing to me is I take my sweet 10 year old daughter to Pennsylvania and she LEGALLY kills a LEGAL deer and then I tell her iF she even thinks about doing it in NYS then its it's probably jail time for both her and me  :sorry:

and you can probably marry a first cousin in Alabama....what's you're point?

I see alot of people that portray they have never broken a law/reg in this thread. I almost think its physically impossible to say you have never broken the law - simply being alive almost makes it a guarantee a law will be broken at some time. Those righteous and divine people must be infallable. Usually they're the ones who end up having the dead bodies under the floor boards, right? Or the ones with banned clips tucked away in the closet.

These people read any degree of contextual understanding as the sky is falling. Grow just realized she broke the law teaching her kids to shoot and a rolling stop - guess what - remember that famous saying? Ignorance is no excuse. Well, let's go get Doc and NYAntler to arrest her because everybody else is in the same boat as Grow at some point in their life - a lawbreaker.

Edited by phade