Ideal Trophy Room Color

BizCT

I'm not looking to gut a room. Can the pine be attached directly to regular wall? Is that gonna make it harder to mount things through the pine and walls combined?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you are doing horizontal you can use a finish nailer and nail at the tongue of the boards at each stud location. If horizontal is desired you can totally plywood the wall then pine but I prefer to put up horizontal nailer strips and then nail the pine to hose. Ripped plywood works very good for nailers. I wouldn't glue if you plan on anchoring any heavy mounts to it.
  • Like 1

Here's my trophy room little field stone and cedar wood. I gutted room nail cedar boards right to studs. Everything hanging just on cedar board don't have to worry about catching stud to hang animals. For the field stone nailed plywood to studs then put a metal mesh on plywood then mortar and stone.

post-935-0-45741500-1421671379_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here's my trophy room little field stone and cedar wood. I gutted room nail cedar boards right to studs. Everything hanging just on cedar board don't have to worry about catching stud to hang animals. For the field stone nailed plywood to studs then put a metal mesh on plywood then mortar and stone.

Looks great, except the mini TV, lol. The field stone is a nice touch.

Alot of nice rooms. My hunting room was a tan/beige color and that really helped the mounts look natural. Hunter green is probably the only other color I would consider outside of wood. The hunter green looks great when you line up the lighting to hit each mount.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Knotty pine with faux beams on the ceiling.  I'll snap some pics tomorrow in daylight.......... 

I don't care for the all wood ceiling, but YMMV.

I do like the suggestions of the painted wall colors and the pic of the green game room too but this is the hand I was dealt...............This room was an edition to the house probably in the mid 70's.  My wife is tired of the mounts and sometimes I think I am too but would NEVER tell her than.......... :)

It was carpeted w-w until a few years ago when we just had had enough of the carpet.  A friend refinished the existing hardwood and we added a oriental.

Although it has stuffed deer, ducks, antelope and a couple skulls it is first and foremost a family room..........

IMG_6510_zps77fe0806.jpg

IMG_6509_zps7eaa06c0.jpg

IMG_6506_zps88c957c6.jpg

• Like 3

i would start with the easier, cheaper look of using paint first. you can always go to the pine later if you are  thinking you want a change and its a long term house for you guys.  if it is a 4-7 yr house stick with the paint idea for lower out of pocket cost and easier potential resale .

• Like 1

I just did my room in a flat hunter green color, I can't remember the exact name of it. White trim molding and oak floor. I'm happy with how it turned out.

I'm liking your green, looks great with deer heads, but just not sure how it would look with the cats I have mounted.

yea I've seen tan walls, knotty pine, white walls, best trophy rooms I've seen go with cultured stone or knotty pine about 48" up the wall, trimmed, and then the remaining GWB painted a forest green or similar color.  the antlers and mounts pop but it's still natural feeling.  wood up the wall shouldn't clash with your hardwood floor if you've got one, as don't pick so they're completely different.

problem with knotty pine on whole wall is light from the windows and age will discolor the wall compared to what sits behind your mount or whatever else you've got hanging on the wall.  So if you shoot more critters and have to shuffle stuff on the wall you might be scratching your head after you move stuff.

• Like 1

I've also seen better halves have a say and use a very slightly darker color paint and a sponge to dab make tree silhouettes in the background to create depth and a cool look.  the color was very subtle though and I'd imagine you need to be a light artistic.  I'd think it's just a reason to give her a say with the space without ruining your man cave.

problem with knotty pine on whole wall is light from the windows and age will discolor the wall compared to what sits behind your mount or whatever else you've got hanging on the wall.  So if you shoot more critters and have to shuffle stuff on the wall you might be scratching your head after you move stuff.

I can move anything and you'll not see any fading at all on my walls.  I don't know if it is the quality of the boards and stain or what, all we've ever used on it is Scott's Liquid Gold every few years.

Sometimes we shuffle the paintings around and the the deer, elk, antelope and ducks didn't all go up the day we moved in. :)

Like Robert Plant says; Little By Little............

You joker you.....................mortgage? I figured you for a cash buyer. No?

:)

LOL, I wish. Not a 3/4BR house in Westchester. I was when I bought my 1BR co op in 2011, but not this time.

I don't have FSW Farm type of $$$$$.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

Lawdwaz, on 20 Jan 2015 - 6:27 PM, said:

I had him scored since a couple guys thought he would make B&C but he was only 72 and change.........I've only killed three but that is by far my best.

Funnest hunt going IMO.

If I could only get you on a loooong airplane ride. ^_^ 

I had him scored since a couple guys thought he would make B&C but he was only 72 and change.........I've only killed three but that is by far my best.

Funnest hunt going IMO.

He looks 13"-14", is the mass/cutters weak?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

He looks 13"-14", is the mass/cutters weak?

See if you can read this..........It's all kind of Greek to me anyway.   Heck, I don't think you were even born when I shot him..... :)  (check the math on this, maybe he added wrong and you can scratch up 8")  :)

image_zps2bc136dd.jpg