REAL WORLD SOYBEANS

I know someone here plants them ...just can't recall who. I will not plant soybeans again for a very long time...I'm telling you, I want the buck gone and all my doe back!!! I don't want to hear and see a bunch of fighting buck before season and before light during....I want to see and here them in here chasing doe under ,around, and past my stands. I want to peek over the ridges and see them bedded down below...I want them wondering through nose in the air or running along the ground....Watch what you wish for ...I'm taking that wish back....

grow....I love planting soybeans and hope to always have them in the ground.  I use to plant eagle forage beans all the time but haven't planted them in 3 years.  I have been baffled why my mature and young buck pictures have declined significantly over the last three years. Not 100% sure but when I have planted eagle forage beans I got many pictures of mature bucks.  Nothing has changed in my management of my property but not planting eagle anymore but only planting ag beans.  Not sure of the reason but im going back to eagle beans the next three years and see what happens.

phade- I don't mind paying $82 a bag for eagle since it is used from May-December.

grow....I love planting soybeans and hope to always have them in the ground.  I use to plant eagle forage beans all the time but haven't planted them in 3 years.  I have been baffled why my mature and young buck pictures have declined significantly over the last three years. Not 100% sure but when I have planted eagle forage beans I got many pictures of mature bucks.  Nothing has changed in my management of my property but not planting eagle anymore but only planting ag beans.  Not sure of the reason but im going back to eagle beans the next three years and see what happens.

phade- I don't mind paying $82 a bag for eagle since it is used from May-December.

Are there alot of soybeans around you - that's where I think the value is in these type of beans. Planting regular beans with enough acreage in areas with no beans seems like a smarter choice though.

I'm sure you are trying to figure out why less bucks/big bucks, but even if you get bucks back, I don't think you can tie in any definity that Eagle was it. There are so many factors in that observation that you'd go crazy trying to figure it out.

Have you ever thought of moving most or nearly all of your plots into hunting season draw? I know you are into QDM and year-round management, but I've see a few people locally get into that mindset and they seem to have better hunting experience than they did when they were trying to support year-round goals. I know the narrative on the year-round approach, but it's really just a theory. People that try to prove it - and I know the Real World guy is a proponent of it, seem to prove it in areas where we'd equate it to TV hunting ground. I can't say I've ever seen someone with say 100 acres try to manage a year-round approach and be able to prove they can get more, bigger bucks. I have seen people on the other hand plant oats, corn, beans (fenced off), brassica, etc. on similar ground and have one heck of a hunting season. I know goals are different for everyone, but I just think people believe a year-round approach is gospel and appropriate for their situation and desires, when it may not be. Some people it is, but I suspect there are people who are going to have mismatched results with their expectations because of it.

Split the beans I planted drew in the buck like CRAZY this year...and from the pics I just pulled yesterday they are still here and with a lot of young buck as well...I have mentioned for years we don't have buck...we have the doe and the doe drop fawn here and raise them all summer...and this year they did as well even though the buck came in...but mid summer they sorta left...then end of Sept. everyone left...they stayed in the corn and on the neighbors golden rod and anothers pines...feeding here at night......I want the buck gone and the doe back!!!!...I went the buck coming here in Oct-Nov. checking out the doe that have always relaxed here...Even now I have more buck than doe cruising past cams to the plots and downed trees.

One needs to watch what they wish for...I love the pics and knowing whats on the hill....but I also love hunting and seeing deer during daylight...I want things back the way they were....beans seem to be the biggest factor in this switch...this year will be clovers, alfala Ptt/radish and grains with corn borders..I am also looking into putting up a native grass area...just not quit sure where yet...

Other than all that my seedway ag soybeans were Fantastic this year...tallest were 39'' and they resprouted branching well never lodged and held beans into Oct when the deer and turkey wiped them out...I planted PTT and RW in them will good success...

grow I understand your situation.  my crops are in the middle of my property and the doe groups take over the first, second and third layers of bedding.  so mature bucks are forced to bed on neighboring properties.  I don't have a problem with doe leaving my ground.

Here's my 2 cents, Price is only an issue in the absents of value. I agree with you G2 $82 bucks per bag for an easy 7 months of one of deer's most favorite foods = $12 dollars a month. I have never planted them yet but my understanding is eagle beans are indeterminate meaning they will continue to grow until a frost, grow taller and provide more tonnage than ag. Their on my bucket list!!

Here's my 2 cents, Price is only an issue in the absents of value. I agree with you G2 $82 bucks per bag for an easy 7 months of one of deer's most favorite foods = $12 dollars a month. I have never planted them yet but my understanding is eagle beans are indeterminate meaning they will continue to grow until a frost, grow taller and provide more tonnage than ag. Their on my bucket list!!

What 7 mos are they being used though? They're not seed variety - their real selling point is leaf attraction.

Now, take that same plot and make it oats, radish, clover, turnip, WR or WW, corn etc.

Beans turn with when bow season gets going and then you go through time of little use until you get attraction from the seed pods, which are not generally the purpose for Eagle/similar varieties.

Some people are in it to feed deer year-round. Some people believe if they keep deer on year-round, they'll be more likely to be there in the fall. While I understand the theory, I don't think it's super applicable for many people. Beans are annual, labor intensive, and are really a destination plot seed type (other than the late season attraction for seed focused varieties) for times of non-hunting here in NY.

In my mind, if you really want the bucks there come hunting season, get into annuals that you know are going to be a draw when you can poke a hole in them. Maybe supplement with a clover or chickory that you can just plant once and do minimal upkeep to keep does in the area come non-hunting months. Remember, food plots make up single digit % of a deer's diet - might as well throw the kitchen sink at them when you can shoot them.

Every place is different I suppose. I have been planting chicory ,clovers,burnetts,triticals,alfalfas,turnips ectectect for years and have always had a ton of doe and fawn..few buck.

Now the buck flocked to our place for those soybeans and they were planted in 2 different spots...the area where the beans did the best...held the biggest buck...just over the ridge and down the hill where they weren't so big and lush...the cams showed few buck and doe...but the rabbits and wood chucks with the fawns had a field day...when one manages properly soybeans are a great crop to over seed in as I did...WW,WR,PTT,Radish. That field was tore up as of yesterday.

Now I have found that the soybeans were not at all labor intensive...really not selling the crop...just food plot here...When having a management plan of BOTH annuals and perrenials...a summer/fall draw like soybeans that can be overseed to make a winter /spring draw...is just good planning. Well that is if it doesn't back fire, with too many buck staying, pushing out the doe and then going away for the rut...lol

My cams still have more buck than doe on them..I will be putting on a push this year to remedy that...which will be a hay type bedding area much more turnips and the bigger field in mixed legumes and forbs. still with the corn and grain sorghum view blockers...have a new neighbor that "needs" to "pop" over to watch the deer in our field. hoping new drive gate will help with that...Pain in the rear but it should get the point across. Before anyone comments on that...I want relaxed deer...not deer lifting their heads every 2 mins to check out whats coming though the pine or standing on the edge of the culvert ditch...also calm enough to feed mid day....I sat in the blind and watched every single deer and turkey constantly checking the road side pines and the drive...years planted and this is the first year they have been so skittish ...BTW the wife mentioned...how they hadn't seen as many deer while watching our field...my return...Ya thats the reason I planted all those pines and corn....I actually watched that one fly over her head :rolleyes:

Edited by growalot

I have zero experience planting beans yet but my understanding is that deer will browse them from the point they surface in May thru the fall. When ag beans are brown by sept eagles should continue growing till a frost then die off. In Aug seed over with oats, radish, turnips, ww and wr and you have a great setup. That will be my setup once the plot is clear.

Split what month did your eagle beans stop growing

Split  we planted RWB next to Eagles in the same plot this year for a total of about 1.75 acres in the plot. They both grew well but we saw better results from the Eagles than the RWBs in the form of leaf size and pod formation. In saying that RWB were no slackers and to survive in the plot size and deer density in that area did quite well. RWBs dont beat eagles but if you are looking for something to mix with eagles for a slightly lower price the RWB are a solid second place.