Hoppe's Bore Snake

So you guys are putting cleaner and oil on the same snake? I have been interested in these but could never wrap my head around how you clean the snake?  

I've wondered the same thing. Do you even clean the snake and if so how??

• Like 1

i have them for rifles and shotguns.  they're good to carry upon the rare case your muzzle ends up into the dirt.  i always run it through with hoppe's cleaner or Hoppe's Elite oil.  never dry.  always breech to muzzle.  use them for a quick cleaning but depending on how much you shoot the gun you'll have to go back after a while and give it a good cleaning to remove copper and lead fouling.  after a while for shotguns you'll go back and clean the bore to a mirror finish.  they work good and for the hunting rifle or shotgun that's shot a handful of times a year they're awesome.

they're machine washable but I've always washed them with detergent by hand.  then you let it hang and air dry.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about picking one of these up for my 7mm-08. Anyone using them? Happy or unhappy with the results? Does it replace cleaning with a rod? Thanks for any advice guys.

Grampy, I use one in my 7mm-08.  I run it through the bore without solvent after every few shots just to keep it cleaner when I shoot.  You need to be careful not to drag in on the edges of the muzzle when you pull it through though. Pull it straight out, as the cord can build up crud that will act like an abrasive on the crown of the muzzle.

When I'm done shooting, I'll spray some WD-40 in the bore and run the snake through it two or three times. That will get it clean enough to keep it until the next time I shoot the rifle.  I wipe the snake off with a clean rag after each shooting session too.  That seems to keep it clean enough until it gets washed later on.  At the end of the season the rifle will get the cleaning with the rod and brush that it should get so it can be stored until next season.

BTW, the Bore Snake can be washed by placing it in a sock and tying the sock up, then toss it in the washing machine with soiled clothes or whatever.

I find this method works just fine, but I don't put too many rounds through the rifle each season, as I only need to check for zero and it never seems to need adjustment.  Also my barrel is stainless steel, so that may be a factor as well.

I would certainly advise getting a Bore Snake for your rifle, as I find it to be very useful to have.

• Like 1

Grampy, I use one in my 7mm-08.  I run it through the bore without solvent after every few shots just to keep it cleaner when I shoot.  You need to be careful not to drag in on the edges of the muzzle when you pull it through though. Pull it straight out, as the cord can build up crud that will act like an abrasive on the crown of the muzzle....

yup pull it straight out.  forgot to mention that.

I have a few; 12 & 20ga and .17 caliber. I dont think they would be any good for a centerfire that gets much shooting and gets a copper fouling build up.

I'll stick with my Dewey rods and bore guides for them.

i use a Bore-tech coated one piece rod with a bore guide for all my rifles.  the rest of my family thinks "I've got too much time on my hands." and "I worry too much".  some of them miss deer often and i rarely do.  so i just shrug my shoulders and do what i do.  i can get all my guns to shoot anywhere from sub-MOA to a single ragged hole.

... i think all the little stuff does add up.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 4

I use them to give firearms a "quick cleaning" when at the range if shooting a bunch and trying to sight a firearm in, if they were in the safe for a while, or if I was out hunting and only fired 0-1 rounds. I prefer the traditional brush and rod method when wanting to make sure that the barrel is 100% clean of fouling.

Edited by celisup78
  • Like 1

As an aside, the only loads I shoot from my 7mm-08 are Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips in 140 grain and they have the Lubalox ( Black Oxide coating ).  Hence, I never get copper fouling in the bore.  The Bore Snake seems to clean the Lubalox out of the bore pretty well too.

Thanks for all the great info and comments!

I'll buy one to use in between shot groups at the range. And I'll keep one in my hunting pack in case of obstruction. Sounds like it will be a good tool to use along with the traditional rod,brush and patch.

Thanks for all the great info and comments!

I'll buy one to use in between shot groups at the range. And I'll keep one in my hunting pack in case of obstruction. Sounds like it will be a good tool to use along with the traditional rod,brush and patch.

It won't work in the field for obstructions.

Electrical tape is the answer for that.....................

• Like 1

Does this go along with it's mine & I'll use as much soap & wash it as long & as much as I want ??  lol

Always measure your cleaning products CORRECTLY and NEVER over use them .  The dilution rate on cleaning products is very important, as well as temperature of water when mixed.  Hot water is not always best and can be harmful.

8)

bought one to start for my pistol. Does a great job. I will say it doesn't do any better than a rod but it gets the job done and it's easy. I then bought 2 or 3 more for my other calibers. This time i bought the viper which has an oil section. I haven't used that part of it, but the cleaner is better for just a little more than the snake. I use the foam to soak for a minute then run it through twice followed by a light oil patch.

• Like 1

I love mine. It works really well.

I'm in the minority that I don't really get alot of joy out of cleaning my guns. Not sure why.

Me either. I hate it.

ditto. some times i skip the range because i don't feel like cleaning. Mostly i shoot after work so by the time i get home dinners ready.

Thanks for the tip Lawdwaz. I did google it and it would be a nightmare to get one stuck but have heard way more good than bad reviews. Going to my local gunshop today to get his take as well. Have not found one for 7mm-08. Would a 270 cal. bore snake work for the 7mm-08? Thanks again to all who gave advise on this thread.

Thanks for the tip Lawdwaz. I did google it and it would be a nightmare to get one stuck but have heard way more good than bad reviews. Going to my local gunshop today to get his take as well. Have not found one for 7mm-08. Would a 270 cal. bore snake work for the 7mm-08? Thanks again to all who gave advise on this thread.

I don't know what sizes they come in but if they are made caliber specific then a .277 is going to be smaller than a .284 and not as tight, obviously.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the store owner or his peeps will have glowing reviews for something they sell. :)

Good luck!