What species do you consider vermin?

Curmudgeon

Liberals...Especially academic types who feel they are much superior to the rest of us "common folk" because are more educated than we are, despite the fact that many of them don't have enough common sense to pour piss out of a boot..

Oh..You mean animals ??...Hmmm..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 7

Curmudgeon, I think we all pretty much know where you where going when you started this thread.......are you a deer hunter that hunts in an area that has been an impacted by the out of control Coyote populations?

I believe not. I think i read before that he is in a place where there are piles of yotes and piles of deer. Living in harmony if you will. No this may be true but for one to say there are no such thing as someone having a coyote problem and that they do not effect deer populations or movements. Well they have never seen a real coyote problem.

Liberals...Especially academic types who feel they are much superior to the rest of us "common folk" because are more educated than we are, despite the fact that many of them don't have enough common sense to pour piss out of a boot..

Wait, wait, wait...hold up!  You mean to tell me I'm suppose to pour the pee out after I piss into it?  How else would I keep my feet warm?

• Like 1

Curmudgeon, generally I appreciate your posts, but your pro yote liberalness is interesting. I mean no disrespect by this; but are you a solo hunter or do you also hunt with buddies/camp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It isn't pro-yote, it's pro-predator. Yotes just seem to be the evil species of the moment.

Without going into the reasons, I rarely hunt alone anymore. I spend some time in deer camp in the Dacks with friends and family. The crew comes to my place to help control an out-of-control deer population during the southern zone season. I occasionally hunt small game if someone else initiates it. I stopped hunting birds regularly when my all time favorite dog got too old and died.

Curmudgeon, I think we all pretty much know where you where going when you started this thread.......are you a deer hunter that hunts in an area that has been an impacted by the out of control Coyote populations?

My motives are only that transparent sometimes. This was not intended to be about coyotes. Addressing these questions is actually a distraction. VJP calling coyotes "vermin" was just a catalyst. What I really want to know is how people categorize vermin compared to the early 20th century. Coyotes aren't part of that. Sedentary Canada Geese aren't part of that. So far, I find the answers very interesting.

However, to answer your question, I have plenty of both coyotes and deer.

I believe not. I think i read before that he is in a place where there are piles of yotes and piles of deer. Living in harmony if you will. No this may be true but for one to say there are no such thing as someone having a coyote problem and that they do not effect deer populations or movements. Well they have never seen a real coyote problem.

As I said above, the thread was not intended to be about coyotes in particular. However, to address 4 Seasons comment:

Yes, piles of both. I have never denied that some people have coyote problems. I recommend to people that they deal with problem coyotes, fishers, raccoons, foxes, deer etc. on a case by case basis. To make blanket statement such as in the recent Outdoor News, and in posts on this site, that killing coyotes helps deer are just wrong. An argument could be made that you are helping deer in the deep snow country and mature forest areas. I won't argue that point except to note that these are marginal deer habitats in the first place. I have said that killing coyotes does not reduce their population and may actually increase them.

Killing coyotes may be sport. It may be a source of income. It may make people feel better if they found deer or turkey remains. It does not reduce their population.

So please, can we drop the coyotes? Keep telling me what birds and mammals you consider vermin.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Can I present someone else's opinion.?

I have a friend who belongs to a deer/turkey hunting lease in Georgia...He has invited me down a few times over the years after deer season to hunt feral hogs.

His defintition of vermin is anything that eats deer, turkeys or deer and turkey eggs.

This includes coyotes, bobcats, foxes, coons, possums, armored dildos, skunks and feral hogs.

He never mentioned crows, ravens, or birds of prey, although they would certainly come under his definition as nest and poult predators.

I never shot anything but hogs...

• Like 1

Yeah. A big problem. A rubber plug came out of my MF65 tranny and the mice packed the clutch with fuzz. Some very expensive mice.

I've found dryer sheets to work pretty well at keeping them away. The cheap ones from the dollar store are fine.

Just tie them around various wires and hoses and change them every couple of months. I also stuff a few into my rope bags and other gear duffels. Of course my tractor shed now smells like a laundromat, but it seems to work. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

those cute little chipmunks and field mice that my wife likes to see around the house.(ahhh grinding my teeth).they do a lot of damage when over populated,for instance,chewed the weatherstrip under the overhead garage door,packed the defrosters squirrel cage blower with the insulation in the cab of my dump truck,had to dismantle and clean so I can see out the windshield and now I found that the dash lights are out too.tried moth balls,dryer sheets they work for afew weeks.rat traps work well and I am considering a gamo air rifle also.oh I forgot to mention the ferals cats are pretty thick here.

We used to have a good population of garter snakes around our outbuildings. But the last couple of years for some reason they have disappeared. With that, the mice population has exploded. They are into everything and trapping, poison seem to do little to control them. Never thought I'd say, wish we had more snakes around here!

And that's if the directions are written on the bottom of the heel ! !

• Like 1

It isn't pro-yote, it's pro-predator. Yotes just seem to be the evil species of the moment.

Without going into the reasons, I rarely hunt alone anymore. I spend some time in deer camp in the Dacks with friends and family. The crew comes to my place to help control an out-of-control deer population during the southern zone season. I occasionally hunt small game if someone else initiates it. I stopped hunting birds regularly when my all time favorite dog got too old and died.

The reason I asked is because I feel your beliefs are fine and you're entitled to them, but not too many guys would share them at camp. I'd get a lot of funny looks and ball busting. They might start asking why I forgot to bring my salad and gluten free beer to camp with me.

CAT'S!Where I live we have alot of farmland and folk's seem to drop them off alot being a cat owner myself I tend to feed the stray's and that doesnt help rid them but we have no mice or rat's.The worst part is they populate just to fast to have control also they piss on and climb on every thing

• Like 1

Raccoons, Wild Turkeys, Wild Hogs, Opossums, Skunks, Rats, Red squirrels, Woodchucks, Moles, Mule deer, Antelope, and Porcupines. Take them all away in that order and I would be a happier camper. I could take or leave the coyotes, as they put a hurting on the turkeys and raccoons and I like that. I just wish they would leave the deer alone. At least they take more bucks than does, which minimizes overall population reduction. They can have them rutted out, old bucks, which are easy picking for them in early winter, having spent most of their energy chasing does. It is a shame that so many fawns, food that is "fit for a king", should go "to the dogs" however.

Ha! You beat me to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, armored dildos...Also known as "possum on the half shell"...

One came shuffling past me once when I was down in Georgia hunting hogs...I really didn't want to shoot the critter..For one thing, the 9.3 x 62 I was carrying was kind of "overkill"..

So I decided to try to catch him, as I had run down and caught many possums in my misspent youth.

I lay my rifle down and took off running after the critter, which was about 20 yards away in open woods..

I quickly learned that armored dildos could run MUCH faster than a pudgy, short legged, middle aged white boy.

That was about 15 years ago..I have had the good judgement not to try to run down ANYTHING since.

The reason I asked is because I feel your beliefs are fine and you're entitled to them, but not too many guys would share them at camp. I'd get a lot of funny looks and ball busting. They might start asking why I forgot to bring my salad and gluten free beer to camp with me.

Busting my balls is one of their favorite pastimes.

• Like 1