Turkey hunting shotgun

fadetoblack188

Looking to purchase a turkey hunting shotgun this week so I am all ready for May. I will probably only get out like 3 or 4 times a year for turkey. I no a semi is not needed for them and Iam not looking to spend more then 800 bucks.

I have a sbe2 and a super sport from benelli and love them. So I was thinking of getting a real tree supernova. Is this a good gun for turkey?

Also steady grip ( pistol grip ) or no steady grip.

What do you guys think.

People can spend some whopper amounts on a turkey gun.

A basic 870/500 will do the trick. I think I beat my guns up more in turkey hunting than I do deer hunting. I'm more inclined to go cheap as a result. My 500 has taken a beating but shoots hevishot pretty reliably. Admittedly I'd like to turkey hunt more but don't have great ground and it boils down to a time thing. 3-4x a year is about it for me, too.

^ same which is why I'm looking to keep it down below 800 bucks.

Pretty decided on the supernova, just can't decide on the steady grip or comfortech stock instead.

24 inch barrels seems to be most popular with turkey hunters correct?

That's what I have.

fadetoblack188

Newbie Hunter

Posted Today, 11:46 AM

I could. Just wanted somthing with a slighter shorter barrel like 24. It's also shadow grass , I would like the real tree for turkey.

I like a designated gun for each animal haha I no I'm crazy.

Does it get heavy carrying a gun rabbit, another for squirrel, and yet another for pheasant when you go out hunting for the day?

I must be doing something wrong loading up #6 's and heading out to hunt for any of them, plus turkey all from the same gun (satin finish wood stock and blued barrel).  lol.

Couldn't you just replace with a shorter barrel and put on a removeable camo wrap for the spring turkey season?

Look into the Mossberg 835 (pump action) and the 935 (semi). The 835 runs around 550 and the 935 is around 650 or so. Both great turkey rigs…. 22 - 24" , back bored ported barrels with a few different camo choices. Both take up to a 3 1/2" shell. I have been using an 835 since the early 90's and love it. It has dumped a pile of Toms.  Awesome patterns with 3 1/2" #4 0r #5.

But then again everyone has their favorites.

• Like 3

just about any shotgun out there with the proper choke and shotshell combination will kill birds out to 40 yards.

with a turkey gun set up its crucial that you get a shotgun that fits you. unlike wing shooting where you are more or less pointing and following through, with a turkey gun you are aiming at a specific spot and trying to put the heaviest amount of the payload in a softball sized target area.

if you are set on the nova and it fits you then thats the gun you should buy, do the barrel work to it, put some type of sight system on it and try a few aftermarket chokes to find the one that throws the best pattern. comp-n-choke would be a first choice as they seem to have a good handle on producing tight patterns for turkey loads.

no matter what gun you choose get it on the pattern board and see what it will do at set yardages so you know your maximum range which for general acceptable distance in the turkey hunting fraternity is 40 yards. can you kill them over 40? yes, but your chances of wounding and loosing them increases dramatically over 40 yards.

when you are done on the pattern board you should have 10% confidence in your gun and your ability to kill a turkey out to X number of yards.  When that crucial moment is at your feet and he is in range there should be no issue with your confidence before you squeeze the trigger.

As far as camo goes, it really doesn't matter what design it is as long as its not shiny. I painted my 835 30 years ago and its never been an issue with a bird seeing it even when they are within a few feet of me.  good camo head to toe and no movement will allow these keen eyesighted yet wary birds to walk so close to you that you could touch them....... don't grab their legs whatever you do no matter how tempting or good of idea it seems at the time.  ;) 

• Like 2

Look into the Mossberg 835 (pump action) and the 935 (semi). The 835 runs around 550 and the 935 is around 650 or so. Both great turkey rigs…. 22 - 24" , back bored ported barrels with a few different camo choices. Both take up to a 3 1/2" shell. I have been using an 835 since the early 90's and love it. It has dumped a pile of Toms.  Awesome patterns with 3 1/2" #4 0r #5.

But then again everyone has their favorites.

I totally agree w/ Ants. I have been using the 835 since the early 90' too it's been very good to me and not so good for the lives of the turkeys who dared to get within range.

black or real tree.  They say for the turkey hunting it should be camo … i just like the black to.. 

By the time the turkey thinks "whats that black thing" it should be too late.. Back in the day I killed several birds with my old uncamoed 870. 

My son just bought the Winchester SXP it is dipped in camo and well take a 3.5 in shell 3 choke tubes.....It ran him $550.00 at gander MTN..

i bought a sxp 3 last year for a new dedicated duck gun, I gotta say that is one sweet shooting duck rig. patterns steel excellent and swings nice, I will have to say for rapid fire wing shooting that recoil assist pump action takes some time to get used to!  but its light, fast to acquire the sight picture and swings though beautiful !

I've had a mosberg 835 since they came out, camo paternity od green, will drop birds out to 65 yrds with .675 choke. Wouldn't trade it for any other turkey gun regardless of make or unlimited funds... be prepared to put some kind of sight reddot or scope on any turkey specfic gun you buy,you need it with their tight patterns

Edited by G-Man