Turkey hunting shotgun

fadetoblack188

As others have stated , I would recommend the Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag . The one I own has the N.W.T. F. medallion recessed into the stock. The only modification I did was to replace the copper / white beads with fiber optic sights. I've bought this gun new over 20 years ago and never had any issues with it .

I have the Supernova used specifically for my turkey gun. I would recommend it over and over again. I have it paired with a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder choke and use the Manablend shot. Before anyone asks, yes the kicks chokes steel can handle the heavy Magnablend Very Tight groups and never had a problem. You will not be disappointed.

When I went and got the Benelli it was a toss up between the Mossberg 935 and the Supernova. Mossberg makes a great gun as well. I went with the pump.

Randy Wakeman also has a lot of good stuff to say about the SuperNova.

Edited by rotorooter23

I did... I got the dead ringer Beard Buster.

https://deadringerhunting.com/shotgun-products/

Only bad thing I would say is the camo does not last long on the gun. I have had it for 5 years and the camo has faded for some reason.  I have it currently being painted with duracoat as we speak.

Edited by rotorooter23

i bought a supernova mostly for turkey.  it is a reliable pump with features i liked; coating, magazine button, comfortech stock, big trigger guard, etc.  didn't get steady grip so i can use it for other things, but for a dedicated turkey gun steady grip is good.  it also has a slogan outdoors ultraflex sling that's pulled tight to the stock for little movement but still able to sling over your shoulder without adjustment do to the stretch.  also for better aiming close in and for slight changes in POI for different loads I've got a Burris Speed bead reflex red dot mounted between the butt stock and receiver.  oh yea camo is Realtree advantage timber.

You always hear people say their guns pattern well but they leave out some details. this is what I'm using and getting now:

132 pellets in the head and neck of a standard HS Turkey head patterning target at 35 yards. There's also 77 pellets on the left half and 75 on the right half of the 11"x11" target that was portions of the pattern that didn't hit the bird.  I'm shooting 1 3/4 oz of #6 hevi-13 shot 3", from the 12ga Supernova with a Pure Gold ported turkey choke.

So that's 37% percent in the head and neck. 78% on an 11" x11" paper target. like i said at 35 yards.

• Like 1

If you're wanting a designated turkey gun get the pistol grip (works great for predator hunting too), if you want more versatility stick to a regular grip. You might also consider getting a 20ga, I picked up an M2 20ga before last season and carrying it was such a treat compared to my 12ga 870. I cover a lot of miles chasing turkeys each year across multiple states though so my situation is a bit different.

Edited by alloutdoors

Well the supernova with comfortech and with steady grip are same price. But the comfortech stock alone is 350 and the pistol grip stock alone is 150. So I will purchase the comfortech then probably just order the steady grip stock to have next month

I've come to like the comfortech stock... soaks up quite a bit of recoil and the cheek piece I think really saves your cheek.  don't notice it as much with normal stuff but when you get into the heavy or 3.5" stuff.  for example for coyotes I use hevi-shot dead coyote 3.5" shells with T size shot.

Just the ones it came with, I was going to do some research on chokes now

it was crap shoot with mine but I will say more times than not I've relied on designs that make sense.  for example my Pure Gold choke has angled ports and it's abnormally long for a less abrupt transition from the barrel diameter to the constriction at the end of the choke.  your Benelli barrel diameter is less than many other shotguns out there so you'll find different constrictions compared to other models.  Hoppe's Bore Snakes work well for testing chokes keeping a majority of crap in the fired barrel from effecting results.

Go here and do some reading in the Turkey Guns and Pattern Pictures forums: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/

There's a number of good choke choices, it depends somewhat on what ammo you plan to use. SumToy, Indian Creek, and Rob Roberts all have good offerings, some more standard "off the shelf" chokes like the Primos Jellyhead put up decent patterns too.

If you want to put a red dot on it my suggestion is a reflex type sight, and you can't go wrong with a FastFire III. It's compact, weighs almost nothing, is pretty much bomb proof, and carries a no questions asked lifetime guarantee.

Figured I would get two of the most popular chokes for that gun and pattern

Don't spend $$ on an aftermarket choke until you pattern the full choke that came with your shotgun.

Some of those standard choke tubes pattern pretty darn good.