Question for 6N Hunters (or hunters close to 6N)

NeverSeenNorHeard

Hey all,

A friend of mine is interested in purchasing some land in 6N. Looks like a bad place to be a deer hunter with no DMPs available and all... How about the other game? How's it for turkey, partridge, and coyote? They are interested mostly for snowmobiling, hence why they chose the area, however, they are also avid hunters. Anyone have any experience with this area, or could recommend an area close that still gets dumped with show and has access to the snowmobile trail system, but has decent deer population & harvest numbers?

Thanks!

-NSNH

post-5805-0-39876300-1424224852_thumb.jpI did well last year in the adjacent 6C area during rifle season. The 8-point in the photo field dressed well over 200 lbs. There is also good numbers of partridge in the area (missed one with my x-bow). The bucks were kind of few and far between but does fairly plentiful up around the town of Fine where I hunted. (1) doe may be taken during the ML or archery seasons. There is a good number of coyotes in the area closer to Ft Drum as they seem to use that largely un-hunted property as a refuge. That likely hurts the deer and turkey hunting more in 6N than most of 6C. I would bet that 6N has some of the best coyote hunting in the state. The bear hunting is good in the area also and I plan on hitting that a little harder this season, as they say the smaller ones (less than 250 lbs) are real good eating. I only ate the tenderloins so far from that 6C buck and they were just as tasty as those from several younger bucks killed out west in zone 9. Just a little chewier, probably due to old age (he had to be at least 4 based on tooth wear). The scenery in that area is also tops of any I have hunted in the lower 48 or Canada.

Heading North, towards Theresa and further from Ft Drum and its hungry coyotes, it seems that the deer, turkey, and partridge get more numerous, but the scenery looses some luster, you get further from the snowmobile trails, and the average size of the bucks gets smaller. Bears get fewer and farther between also. Fine is fine for me, and I am extremely thankful that is where my in-laws chose to build their retirement home.

attachicon.gif1129141212a.jpgI did well last year in the adjacent 6C area during rifle season. The 8-point in the photo field dressed well over 200 lbs. There is also good numbers of partridge in the area (missed one with my x-bow). The bucks were kind of few and far between but does fairly plentiful up around the town of Fine where I hunted. (1) doe may be taken during the ML or archery seasons. There is a good number of coyotes in the area closer to Ft Drum as they seem to use that largely un-hunted property as a refuge. That likely hurts the deer and turkey hunting more in 6N than most of 6C. I would bet that 6N has some of the best coyote hunting in the state. The bear hunting is good in the area also and I plan on hitting that a little harder this season, as they say the smaller ones (less than 250 lbs) are real good eating. I only ate the tenderloins so far from that 6C buck and they were just as tasty as those from several younger bucks killed out west in zone 9. Just a little chewier, probably due to old age (he had to be at least 4 based on tooth wear). The scenery in that area is also tops of any I have hunted in the lower 48 or Canada.

Heading North, towards Theresa and further from Ft Drum and its hungry coyotes, it seems that the deer, turkey, and partridge get more numerous, but the scenery looses some luster, you get further from the snowmobile trails, and the average size of the bucks gets smaller. Bears get fewer and farther between also. Fine is fine for me, and I am extremely thankful that is where my in-laws chose to build their retirement home.

Thanks for all that great information WOLC. Nice buck you got yourself there. You are right about the aesthetics of the area. I think it's a beautiful spot.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a camp in 6n. Been ther 5 yrs now. We have killed 8 buck so far with about 3 hunters average per season. Also have killed 2 doe with bow. Largest buck was 165lbs to date ,have several in 140-150 lb range as well.You won't see deer every day and you have to work for them, but I am happy with it as it is now. Not a lot of hunting pressure either. I guess it is all in what your looking for.. I don't snowmobile but there is plenty of snow for that if you want that also.I am happy with the way it is and glad I made the investment in camp & land.Also there is plenty of state land close by also. 

• Like 1