Finding them dead on Long Island.

First-light

I'll stop there next time I go by. Although, this time of year usually nobody is there.

That was in Florida, totally different. Not only does it not biologically make sense. If it were true, somebody, would have seen one in November. Too many hunters in the woods in November not too. Or at the very least have a trail cam pic.

I'll stop there next time I go by. Although, this time of year usually nobody is there.

That was in Florida, totally different. Not only does it not biologically make sense. If it were true, somebody, would have seen one in November. Too many hunters in the woods in November not too. Or at the very least have a trail cam pic.

the article did distinguish between down there and up here.  lastest we've seen is fawns with spots in late September into first part of Oct.  By mid Nov they didn't have visible spots but still are only a couple months old which still isn't good.  winter coat not fully in I can maybe see.  spots idk haven't seen it but I can't say it could never happen.  I wouldn't say it'd be the norm opposed to more what we've seen.

On LI we typically have mild winters with little snow cover on the ground for more than 2 weeks.  A late breeding fawn who produces another fawn the next year will possibly be breed later than the normal rut, possibly into February or later.  Then next years fawn from that fawn will do the same if she is able to breed continuing the cycle until a winter like this one fixes the natural cycle.

The other issue I see is some doe become detached from other doe groups including bucks making them harder to find for the bucks resulting in late breeding. 

On top of that our doe to buck ratio is probably to high on the doe side but bow hunters are trying to fix that by taking more.

What do you think?

• Like 1

the article did distinguish between down there and up here.  lastest we've seen is fawns with spots in late September into first part of Oct.  By mid Nov they didn't have visible spots but still are only a couple months old which still isn't good.  winter coat not fully in I can maybe see.  spots idk haven't seen it but I can't say it could never happen.  I wouldn't say it'd be the norm opposed to more what we've seen.

I don't think we are talking about 4-5 month old fawns with spots.

BORN in November, 5 pound, wiggle leg newborn fawns. Just not happening. On top of nobody ever seeing any, somebody would have killed a doe in October or November and found a fully developed alive fawn when gutting. Extremely far fetched.

• Like 1

NFA-ADK, not to be a wise ass but did you actually live on the island last year? The snow was just like now. It didn't melt till the spring. Late bred does happen, just not late enough to be born in November.

As far as does being harder to find by bucks on long island, I disagree. They find them, its just not that big here not too.

I don't know, I think I'd have to see a newborn fawn in November before I'd believe someone telling me that it can happen.  Hell, deer have their Fall/Winter fur on already in November, I couldn't imagine a doe dropping a newborn at this stage of her annual life cycle.  I guess we can never say never, but I would think this would be an EXTREMELY rare occurrence.

Edited by steve863

I don't think we are talking about 4-5 month old fawns with spots.

BORN in November, 5 pound, wiggle leg newborn fawns. Just not happening. On top of nobody ever seeing any, somebody would have killed a doe in October or November and found a fully developed alive fawn when gutting. Extremely far fetched.

im with you on this there was talk about this on the LI Facebook page and i dont believe it at all. No way there are fawns being born in Nov or Dec. 

John

NFA-ADK, not to be a wise ass but did you actually live on the island last year? The snow was just like now. It didn't melt till the spring. Late bred does happen, just not late enough to be born in November.

As far as does being harder to find by bucks on long island, I disagree. They find them, its just not that big here not too.

We had snow but it was not on the ground as long as this year for sure.  We had much of it melt, then another storm would come in.  Yes I have been on the Island my entire life.

I don't know, I think I'd have to see a newborn fawn in November before I'd believe someone telling me that it can happen.  Hell, deer have their Fall/Winter fur on already in November, I couldn't imagine a doe dropping a newborn at this stage of her annual life cycle.  I guess we can never say never, but I would think this would be an EXTREMELY rare occurrence.

im with you on this there was talk about this on the LI Facebook page and i dont believe it at all. No way there are fawns being born in Nov or Dec. 

John

I saw a fawn with spots in Moose River Plains in November.  Believe it or not, I was shocked as anyone and probably would not believe if I did not see it myself...

John

with a 6.5 month gestation that'd put breeding in May ....a bit late.  I'm sure it's messed up down there but idk I'm not down there to confirm it's that messed up.

For the person that said the snow does not last on Long Island  I say BS , I was born, and lived and worked on Long Island for 60+ Years, My dad would not have invested in a second dump truck with a snow plow when I was old enough to drive if there was not enough lasting snow to plow.Later on when I moved from Nassau county to Suffolk county there were days when I could not get to work for 2 to 3 days because of the snow. I have driven after a snow storm out east and If I did not have chains on my PU I would not have gotten to the spots I wanted to hunt. I now live Up State only because I am use to the snow , sure it was not Minus 23 degrees on Long Island as it was here last night But the Snow Does Last.  

• Like 1

The segregation I was talking about is when some doe get pushed out of their home range, usually by mom.  I have seen some doe in very distant areas from where they are usually.

And in these same area's I rarely see bucks.  New construction can impact this issue as well.

I just though this could be another contributing factor to doe not getting impregnated the first cycle or second or third.  Same issue happens in remote forest where the deer are few and far.  Sometimes the buck does not find the doe during the first rut due to them being occupied with other doe.

JMO on possible causes of doe being bred late.  This is on top of imbalanced doe/buck ratio's, and mild winters in general on LI vs upstate.

Similar to Penn study posted before on post 76.

Most storms we get do not cover the ground for many weeks like this year.  Does it happen sure but its not the norm.  OMG

• Like 2