Yeti Coolers

yes, but you have to realize they are super insulated.... so when they are baking in the sun they WILL eat ice until they cool.  I use them fishing all the time and it will melt a bag of ice in no time if its sitting in the sun for a day or 2 but after it cools down its good to go.  I have a friend who is a dealer, they have minimum orders and if we get some ppl together we can do a bulk order and get them for a very reasonable price.  If there is interest...let me know and ill find out how many or the min $ amnt.

Although I never owned a Yeti cooler , I have had numerous coolers over the years . One of the best coolers I use are the Styrofoam ones that Omaha Steaks send their products in.

I cant see spending the money on an expensive cooler when I can buy a new refrigerator for less.

Cant bring a fridge outside to the pool, or the beach, or on the boat.

For activities like you listed Biz, they are not worth the money. Any use (with any cooler) that required opening the cooler frequently, will eat ice and not be worth the big bucks. using it for beer and drinks, you won't see a benefit over a cheaper cooler. I do not own a yeti but have used one twice. It's best use is for long term cold storage. We used one camping and the cooler was pre cooled. We used block ice and the cooler was opened once a day to move the days food into our cooler we opened frequently. I never store food in a drink cooler because it is opened too much, (yes, some of my buddy are boarderline in their drinking habits...lol) 

• Like 3

For activities like you listed Biz, they are not worth the money. Any use (with any cooler) that required opening the cooler frequently, will eat ice and not be worth the big bucks. using it for beer and drinks, you won't see a benefit over a cheaper cooler. I do not own a yeti but have used one twice. It's best use is for long term cold storage. We used one camping and the cooler was pre cooled. We used block ice and the cooler was opened once a day to move the days food into our cooler we opened frequently. I never store food in a drink cooler because it is opened too much, (yes, some of my buddy are boarderline in their drinking habits...lol) 

Thanks, makes sense.

Pre-cooling is typically overlooked as most guys are using it as a beverage cooler. For longer term storage ice the cooler down 24-48 hrs in advance of your trip, minimize the opening and closing and you're good for quite a while. I take them on multi day overnighters fishing in the summer, work great even out on deck essentially bakiing n the sun.

The Coleman extreme I bought last year keeps ice way longer than any cooler I've ever owned... I saw an independent 10 day comparison test on YouTube a while back and it performed as good or better than all the other $400 coolers and it only cost me $40. I love it!

The Coleman extreme I bought last year keeps ice way longer than any cooler I've ever owned... I saw an independent 10 day comparison test on YouTube a while back and it performed as good or better than all the other $400 coolers and it only cost me $40. I love it!

That and the fact that paying $400 for a cooler is insane. 

• Like 1

I'm in the market for a cooler. The 2 Colemans I have owned for nearly 20 years have both given out. I bought a cheap Igloo @ Walmart last year & it was horrible. Melting 5 bags of ice in a shady spot under my canopy over a 3 day weekend.

The Coleman Extreme sounds like what I need.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

There are alot of Yeti-competitors now. Are they comparable? I know even some of the retailers (BPS/Cabelas) have their own house brands.

On an unrelated side note, one of the two owners/founders of Yeti was on an episode of house hunters (or their variant island life, or carribean life). He had his yeti ballcap on and I eventuially figured out he is the owner even though they didn't say so right away. Seemed like a real likable guy. Easy on the eyes wife, nice family, and just seemed not like a pretentious SOB. He did spend a few minutes talking about the need for his business and how he came to the idea - very sound thought process and very business-like. I can see why they command a premium and I am sure Yeti will do well for a long time with his guidance.

I didn't listen to the sound, but it appears they did not talk about how they were precooled or the temp/environment of each cooler at the start of the test.

A few degree temp difference inside each cooler at the onset impacts meltdown significantly. So much so, you could likely dictate which cooler has what amount of ice leftover.

I didn't listen to the sound, but it appears they did not talk about how they were precooled or the temp/environment of each cooler at the start of the test.

A few degree temp difference inside each cooler at the onset impacts meltdown significantly. So much so, you could likely dictate which cooler has what amount of ice leftover.

That might be important to a science nerd... but for the average idiot like me I am satisfied with how the test was conducted... and glad that I saved paying $400 for a Yeti. The Coleman Extreme is performing just the way I need it to... and all for 39.99 on sale at Walmart for a 70 quart. It keeps ice all weekend long at camp. No more trips to get ice mid-weekend.

• Like 2

That might be important to a science nerd... but for the average idiot like me I am satisfied with how the test was conducted... and glad that I saved paying $400 for a Yeti. The Coleman Extreme is performing just the way I need it to... and all for 39.99 on sale at Walmart for a 70 quart. It keeps ice all weekend long at camp. No more trips to get ice mid-weekend.

And that was probably their goal. Slant it toward a model.

And that was probably their goal. Slant it toward a model.

You need to listen to their results at the end... I also made my own observations as well while watching. It wasn't rocket science and it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that one would be an idiot to spend big money on a cooler. In my opinion... you would be an idiot to by a Yeti cooler for $400 unless you need to keep Grizzlies away from your beer or are planning to drag your cooler on a chain behind your truck. :)

Edited by nyantler

I have two yeti coolers a 105 and 45. They are great, I don't regret the money spent on them for second.

They are strong, well made, and keep ice for long time. I have dragged the 105 all over the country in the last 4 years hunting and fishing and it looks the same as the day I bought it.

I wish I can say the day for " marine grade" igloo I spent 175 on....in the same amount of time it's, cracked and both handles are broken.

Not to mention you have to seal it with duct tape if it's on the hitch rack behind my truck otherwise it will leak road dirt and water into it.

Buy once cry once.