.22 Hornet

Dom

Geeze, Dom, you're about a month too late..

A friend of mine had a pre-64 Winchester M70 in .22 hornet..

It was in very good condition, but had a couple of non factory holes drilled/tapped which negatively affected its collector value..It was a fine shooter, though..He sold it for around $700, give or take 50...A great value for the price...No way would you you find a modern rifle of that quality for that price.

I think the Ruger M77/22 Hornet is a rifle of great quality and accuracy.  With the laminated stock and grey metal finish on the bull barrel, it's a winner as far as I'm concerned.  I believe it wouldn't be too difficult to find a nice used one online somewhere.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I think the Ruger M77/22 Hornet is a rifle of great quality and accuracy. With the laminated stock and grey metal finish on the bull barrel, it's a winner as far as I'm concerned. I believe it wouldn't be too difficult to find a nice used one online somewhere.

I had one that was better used as a tomato stake., thing was horrendous. I could throw rocks more accurately. Not saying they're all that bad but let's say mine was a fluke, how's it possible it ever got that bad. I'd never try one again. Kept it for a year n tried tons of loads n reloads on it. Thing was bad

I had one that was better used as a tomato stake., thing was horrendous. I could throw rocks more accurately. Not saying they're all that bad but let's say mine was a fluke, how's it possible it ever got that bad. I'd never try one again. Kept it for a year n tried tons of loads n reloads on it. Thing was bad

I have one in 22 magnum and it will do one ragged hole at 50 yards all day long with a variety of different ammo.  Was your's used when you bought it?

Every Ruger M77/22 Hornet I ever saw in the laminated stock version with the grey metal finish was totally accurate.  The same applies to any Ruger rifle, in any chambering in that configuration.  Perhaps he had a bad scope.  If not, it should have been returned to Ruger to be checked out.

I picked up a Savage 219 single shot a couple years ago with the 22 Hornet barrel.  I got it punching quarter size holes at 100 yards.  I've taken it out calling for fox but unsuccessful with it so far.  Trial... what kind of rounds you have where you located and what you looking to get for them?

I have a nifty little .22 Hornet Winchester. It's a pretty little guy that I keep around for sentimental reasons (used to belong to my father). However, it sits in the cabinet, and never gets used except once in a while I take it out for target practice. I have been trying to figure out what it really is suitable to kill. I have a .223 for varmints, a .270 for deer, a .22 for squirrels ....... everything seems to be covered, leaving the Hornet not really doing anything that the rest of the guns don't do better.

So, for you fans of the .22 hornet, other than target practice, what do you use it for?