Muslim holidays

NYC schools do not recognize religious holidays, until now. They have recesses timed to give the students days off to observe those days, but do not recognize them. I wonder what they will call the days they give off for these Muslim holidays.

Why is Yom Kippur not given a day off?

I went to public school in Putnam county and we always had the Jewish holidays. I'm not Jewish but I definitely remember having off those 1-2 days every September.

Currently, I work in NYC and Xmas is an observed day. Floating holiday options include good Friday, the Jewish holiday, and Muslim holidays, etc. it's been like this for all 5 years I've been there. I picked good Friday in 2015, but one year I picked a Jewish holiday to hunt with Xbow in CT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

NYC schools do not recognize religious holidays, until now.  They have recesses timed to give the students days off to observe those days, but do not recognize them.  I wonder what they will call the days they give off for these Muslim holidays.

Why is Yom Kippur not given a day off?

OK, so now you are starting to back pedal.  LOL  Schools have been closed for Yom Kippur.  This past year it fell on a Saturday, though.

This is not an issue of religion its people who are killing those not of their thinking and doing in the name of God. Do you think they will respect Atheist NO the 1st to go, you have no right to choose what beliefs you have. That's the difference between founding fathers and these push over politician's of today. The US Constitution is not the Bible its the right to choose what you believe in, not I'll burn you, cut your head off, crucify you if you don't. The Freedom you enjoy today on this forum to voice your Opinion would seal your end. I'll cling to my Guns & beliefs and Hope the USA of old comes back, if not the $shit will hit the fan I guess.

When you lump all Muslims in with Muslim extremism, that is bringing religion & religious bigotry into the arena.

Do I have to point out Christians doing the same sort of things? Would you want to be judged by the actions of Christian extremists?

Edited by wildcat junkie

The NYC school system does not officially recognize any religious observance.  They allow days off for holidays with floaters and excused absences but do not acknowledge the days they give off are for the observance of any religious holiday.  That would be condoning religion, which the government cannot do.  They cannot put a manger scene on the lawn, and cannot promote religion.

The point being made here is, if they do the same with these two Muslim holidays they will be consistent.  If they don't, they will be in violation of their own rules barring religion from schools.

As an aside, how will they manage to add these two new days off to the calendar?  Will they eliminate two other days off now, or will they extend the school year?  I find it funny they have made these new days off official, but have not addressed how they intend to make it work.

VIDEO: ISIS Leader Was Armed & Funded by Obama White House

A top member of the jihadist group that the US government and NATO armed and funded in the overthrow of Colonel Gaddafi back in 2011 is now leading ISIS forces in Libya.

Kinda reminds me of how the Reagan administration funded & armed Al Qaeda which eventually led to 9/11.

If this Hornets nest brought about by the war in Iraq's destabilization of the middle East & the rise of ISIS (formerly known as Al Qaeda in Iraq during the Bush administration)

Do I have to point out Christians doing the same sort of things? Would you want to be judged by the actions of Christian extremists?

Yes, I would say you have to point out 21st Century Radical Christians declaring war on all other religions, practicing genocide on members of other faiths and forming governments that adhere to, and abide by their murderous beliefs.

Yes, I would say you have to point out 21st Century Radical Christians declaring war on all other religions, practicing genocide on members of other faiths and forming governments that adhere to, and abide by their murderous beliefs.

How convenient that you want to eliminate the 20th century.

Such a long long time ago.

Could there be a reason for that?

The NYC school system does not officially recognize any religious observance.  They allow days off for holidays with floaters and excused absences but do not acknowledge the days they give off are for the observance of any religious holiday.  That would be condoning religion, which the government cannot do.  They cannot put a manger scene on the lawn, and cannot promote religion.

If they are giving kids and teachers the days off for these religious holidays, how can it not be deemed as schools observing these holidays?  You guys are nitpicking at the language they use, which is BS.  If you guys want a manger scene in front of a school, then you need to send them to  a religious affiliated school.  You can't expect public schools to be teaching the various religions that are out there.  I don't agree with this Muslim holiday being observed, but I highly doubt that kids will be reading from the Koran the day before it's observance.  You guys make mountains out of mole hills.

When you lump all Muslims in with Muslim extremism, that is bringing religion & religious bigotry into the arena.

Wildcat The Facts are So Call Muslim Leaders or a Leader never come's out in public to denounce the so called Radical's actions,So its hard not to lumped all into one group. Has IRAN come out, NO. That's like a shooting happens by some nut and because I own guns I am lumped in but the Facts are Gun owners & PROGUN leaders come out and call it what it is, one Nut that was WRONG not the victims. & if any other gun-owner was around would be glad to send them to there maker/or not doesn't make a difference their faith. Do you realize you would not last a sec in their World because you have 3 strikes wildcat your AMERICAN 1st in their eyes, and 2nd your not of there faith 3rd the 1st two.This is more about twisted Ideology than about religion. ISIS is Hitler of modern times TIMES 10. You know nothing of what I believe in you assume which makes you what? So Religious Holidays that are observe now are not violent regions killing in the name of God, it people observing it in peace. President's Day, Martin Luther King. Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July 2 of Great importance to  me. Look at the UK, and France Wildcat they bent over backwards and got what, No Go zones in their own Countries. Evil is Evil sir lets call it for what it is.

Edited by Huntscreek

Ok, now that you got your jollies, we all know about the Nazi's, but they were associated with Fascism more than religion.  They did not use any religious teachings in their laws or their government dictates.  They did not kill because of religion, they killed because of economics and vengeance.  They did not quote from the Bible to force non-believers to convert to Christianity.  They were a plague on the world and the whole world rallied against them to defeat them.

Problem solved.  Now this is the 21st century.  Are you saying we should not address the Muslim issue now?

Are there recent examples of true Christian atrocites coming out of the Vatican that you would care to inform everyone about?

• Like 1

Ok, now that you got your jollies, we all know about the Nazi's, but they were associated with Fascism more than religion.  They did not use any religious teachings in their laws or their government dictates.  They did not kill because of religion, they killed because of economics and vengeance.  They did not quote from the Bible to force non-believers to convert to Christianity.  They were a plague on the world and the whole world rallied against them to defeat them.

Problem solved.  Now this is the 21st century.  Are you saying we should not address the Muslim issue now?

Are there recent examples of true Christian atrocites coming out of the Vatican that you would care to inform everyone about?

Yes we should address the Muslim extremists issue.

Are you advocating rounding up all Muslims & putting them in concentration camps? Or should we just kill 'em all?

Start with Mohammed Al, he's real threat..

Edited by wildcat junkie

Wildcat The Facts are So Call Muslim Leaders or a Leader never come's out in public to denounce the so called Radical's actions,So its hard not to lumped all into one group. Has IRAN come out, NO. That's like a shooting happens by some nut and because I own guns I am lumped in but the Facts are Gun owners & PROGUN leaders come out and call it what it is, one Nut that was WRONG not the victims. & if any other gun-owner was around would be glad to send them to there maker/or not doesn't make a difference their faith. Do you realize you would not last a sec in their World because you have 3 strikes wildcat your AMERICAN 1st in their eyes, and 2nd your not of there faith 3rd the 1st two.This is more about twisted Ideology than about religion. ISIS is Hitler of modern times TIMES 10. You know nothing of what I believe in you assume which makes you what? So Religious Holidays that are observe now are not violent regions killing in the name of God, it people observing it in peace. President's Day, Martin Luther King. Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July 2 of Great importance to  me. Look at the UK, and France Wildcat they bent over backwards and got what, No Go zones in their own Countries. Evil is Evil sir lets call it for what it is.

No go Zones in France? You better check that FOX News fabrication out.

Hitler was sick and so was his Ideology as is ISIS. Hitler was also Ethnic cleansing during WWII, Same as ISIS.\

I don't disagree, but just like it is wrong to lump all Christians W/Hitler, it is wrong to lump all Muslims W/ISIS.

That's the point.

You're deluding yourself if you do not believe there are areas of France nobody not Muslim is safe.  The police know it.  The French government knows it.  Fear of a Muslim uprising is the only thing that keeps them from addressing it.

• Like 1

Goverment workers union drive to get paid days off...WTH Do you see the rest of the US work force getting all the paid holidays off as a group...besides Christmas and Easter...and why is that? because the country use to be primarily christian. But not just that ,no it's just tradition really , Something done so long it's elimination is undoable. Does private sector give all other religious based holidays their time off? I actually do not know...I do know they aren't doing what has become bogus presidential birthdays off as Government agancies do...as convenient 3 day weekends.

I say do away with all of it ..it's become foolisheness...Want your day off...take an unpayed day or a sick day. There are so many religious holidays now, eventually everyone one would get their day off or allow one or two payed personal days off and let the person decide...and really why should, ie...my kids miss a day of school because of some one elses beliefs and vise versa...Why should my mail be delayed because of one or two dead presidents out of over 40+..or religious observances of others?

Edited by growalot

I don't disagree, but just like it is wrong to lump all Christians W/Hitler, it is wrong to lump all Muslims W/ISIS.

That's the point.

Were American Christians supporting the Nazi's?  There are American Muslims supporting ISIS, Iran, Sharia Law and worse.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

Wildcat I hope your around long enough to see & feel what you don't know what your talking about. As proof take the blinders off and look at the world around you not a media outlet.You truly have no Idea about what you are talking about, so with that I leave you to history. Your Leader is getting you closer to your beliefs, and your not going to enjoy it.

Edited by Huntscreek

You're deluding yourself if you do not believe there are areas of France nobody not Muslim is safe.  The police know it.  The French government knows it.  Fear of a Muslim uprising is the only thing that keeps them from addressing it.

I believe that the French got all bent by the term "No Go Zones" and claimed that there were no such thing as no go zones, when in fact the french refer to these areas as "Ethnically sensitive Areas". And although it is not a written policy, no one but muslims go into these areas.

• Like 2

Easter is on a Sunday so no days off are required.

Yeah, and they get the whole week off. Sure you may want to hold on to the fact that it's called "spring recess" but I remember growing up it was called "Easter break".

Yeah, and they get the whole week off. Sure you may want to hold on to the fact that it's called "spring recess" but I remember growing up it was called "Easter break".

Elmo, I was merely pointing out that  the holiday was on a Sunday. The break was named for it's proximity to the holiday and not time off  BECAUSE of the holiday.