Poaching on Staten Island

Sogaard

They are sentencing one guy today, just as a second story of multiple poached deer on another part of the island starts coming out. Saddest part is, they are just leaving the deer to rot after taking the head and horns.  

I take that back, the saddest part is the guy they caught isn't getting any jail time.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/03/poachers_are_killing_staten_is.html#incart_river

Wow, that's something.  Now did these guys really think they'd never get caught??  Not like Staten Island is some remote wilderness area where in many cases a poacher might never get seen or caught.

I still find it mind boggling that deer have taken such a strong hold on Staten Island.  They will definitely become a big problem if they aren't already.  And NO one needs to even bring up legal hunting as a solution because it will NEVER happen within NYC limits.

• Like 1

Wow, that's something.  Now did these guys really think they'd never get caught??  Not like Staten Island is some remote wilderness area where in many cases a poacher might never get seen or caught.

I still find it mind boggling that deer have taken such a strong hold on Staten Island.  They will definitely become a big problem if they aren't already.  And NO one needs to even bring up legal hunting as a solution because it will NEVER happen within NYC limits.

There may never be legal hunting open to the public but they will Hire sources to take the deer.Even here in Duthcess County NY Vassar College does this often.This comment is not to start a arguement just the fact the state will do  what they want to.I am not for poaching and to shoot or kill any animal just for the enjoyment is wrong.

The official numbers are close to 900 on the island now, and in my opinion, that is an under reported number.

I've been pitching the idea of a small, lottery based (to fund itself) supervised bow hunt to various local politicians for about a year now.  Something like how the Feds run their yearly hunt at Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge on LI.  Believe it or not, when they start running the numbers of how much it would cost to relocate, 'birth control' or professionally cull that amount of deer, a couple have actually heard me out.  I doubt it will ever happen, but I will keep trying.  :)

• Like 1

I think a hunt on SI was briefly discussed on this forum before.  Could you imagine the media circus that would be?  A hunt in the media capital of the world??  Oh man, I think it would do more harm than good to hunters.  I don't think I'd want to be that hunter legally hunting on SI.  You'd be tarred and feathered and you wouldn't be able to escape the wrath of anti-hunters and the media.  Just not worth it.  I guess someone will have to come up with some sort of solution if deer numbers keep getting higher, but I really doubt legal hunting will ever be considered for more than 5 minutes.

I was very disgusted when I read the article online the other day.... I love seeing deer on the island but can see how they are slowly becoming a problem. Me personally would love to see a lottery style hunt but doubt it will ever happen.... Fingers crossed

• Like 1