Best movie GUNFIGHT ( non war films)...

Pygmy

I credit Wildcat Junkie for the inspiration of this thread.

My favorite is a very unique sequence filmed in slow motion.

The shootout between Elliot Ness and another Treasury Agent with several of Al Copone's thugs on a stairway in a train ( or bus) station.

It takes place in slow motion and is complicated by a baby carriage, with baby aboard, bouncing down the stairway with the gun battle taking place all around it. A number of firearms are involved, including a Winchester Model 12 riot gun (Ness) a Thompson Submachinegun, a couple of 1911's and several vintage Colt and S&W revolvers....

Really cool sequence, and the baby survives as the last bad guy is dispatched by a treasury agent who is lying on his back supporting the baby carriage with his foot...

• Like 1

Open range. Robert Duvall kicks ass in the shootout at the end.

That one rates right up near the top, Skillet..

The first time I saw that , I was in Douglas, Wyoming on an antelope hunt. My 2 buddies and I went to see the movie in a little theater in Douglas on a Tuesday night..The theater was PACKED with locals...Everybody loved it.

• Like 2

the final shoot out in Unforgiven. Close, brief, unpredictable,brutal, and everyone is scared poopless.

Yep, that's another one of my favortites...

I'll have to check out the one in "Heat"..Never saw the flick.

The best shoot out on record was not in a movie but in real life. You tube  North Hollywood shootout in Feb 1997. 2 armed men tried robbing a bank. In the gun fight that followed 1100 rounds were fired by the gunman  and 650 by police. It is by far the best shootout ever recorded.

Edited by jonathon88

I liked the one where Indiana Jones pulled his pistol on the "expert" knife-fighter.  I also liked it where the German dentist shot the crooked sherrif in the belly with his pistol, then walked back in the bar to finish his drink in "Jnjango".  There was lots of good gun action in that movie.  Another I liked, was where the kid blows a big hole thru the center of the Philadelphia mafia hit-man (played Ed Harris), from the back, with his dad's side-by-side shotgun.  There's just something about the bad guy's getting what they deserve, and never seeing it coming, that is pretty cool to me.   That last movie "A History of Violence", also contains my all time favorite movie line.   That occurs when our hero (the kid's father) walks into a PA bar, looks at a big Yeungling sign, and say's to the bar tender: "Ill take a Genny Cream".   That's my favorite beer and I guess it was the actor's also. He asked for that the line to be added to the script.   I think that movie may even have taken an Oscar that year.                   

Frankly, my favorites were the Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Zorro, and other westerns of that era where you never saw a drop of blood. In fact most of these guys were noted "hand-shooters" that shot the gun out of the bad-guys hand, or they would leave their gun holstered and take their chances with a fist fight (which they always won) .... lol. Realism and fact based portrayal? .... not hardly, but always great messages of good triumphing over evil. But then we got all sophisticated and decided that it's the gore and gruesome images that had to be viewed in order to be "entertaining".

So today I saw the movie "The Gunman" that was just dripping with blood and gore. We had guys being ripped apart with knives, and another graphic portrayal of the back of a guy's head coming off. and a whole bunch of other carnage that was up close and personal, displayed on the screen. Actually kind of typical of today's gunplay flicks. The only "entertainment" programs that are even more graphic are the jillions of C.S.I. shows that now flood the airwaves. Love those compulsory autopsy table scenes that have the corpse disemboweled with the chest cavity jacked open to get that perfect camera shot. Or the decomposed slurry of rotted human remains that are pored out and hand sorted through at the crime labs. And then the Coroner wandering around with a tray full of human organs. That is what is required to keep us entertained today. Each program trying to out-gross the one before it. And how about all those TV programs like "Criminal Minds" that highlight the details of demented human torture scenes, with each one trying to shock us more with new ways to torture people to death. Aren't those special, and all in the name of entertainment.

And then we all sit around confused about the idea that there are more and more kids with absolutely no value of human life and suffering. I wonder where they get such attitudes from? I guess we're just too "sophisticated" to go back to the "hand shooters" ....eh?

The street shoot out from the movie "Heat" great. The final scene of "Unforgiven" was great………..  There are so many great ones...Its hard for me to pick a #1.

Open Range was a top contender but Kevin Cosner's thirty five shot six shooter annoyed me a little. LOL!

• Like 1

Yeah...Some of those Hollywood Firearms are pretty amazing.

Near the end of " Wild Bill" the hero fired at least 24 shots from two cap&ball revolvers without reloading.

Movie submachineguns are that way too...Many times I've seen shooters fire 200 or 300 rounds from a gun with a 20 or 30 round mag without reloading.

Frankly, my favorites were the Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Zorro, and other westerns of that era where you never saw a drop of blood. In fact most of these guys were noted "hand-shooters" that shot the gun out of the bad-guys hand, or they would leave their gun holstered and take their chances with a fist fight (which they always won) .... lol. Realism and fact based portrayal? .... not hardly, but always great messages of good triumphing over evil. But then we got all sophisticated and decided that it's the gore and gruesome images that had to be viewed in order to be "entertaining".

So today I saw the movie "The Gunman" that was just dripping with blood and gore. We had guys being ripped apart with knives, and another graphic portrayal of the back of a guy's head coming off. and a whole bunch of other carnage that was up close and personal, displayed on the screen. Actually kind of typical of today's gunplay flicks. The only "entertainment" programs that are even more graphic are the jillions of C.S.I. shows that now flood the airwaves. Love those compulsory autopsy table scenes that have the corpse disemboweled with the chest cavity jacked open to get that perfect camera shot. Or the decomposed slurry of rotted human remains that are pored out and hand sorted through at the crime labs. And then the Coroner wandering around with a tray full of human organs. That is what is required to keep us entertained today. Each program trying to out-gross the one before it. And how about all those TV programs like "Criminal Minds" that highlight the details of demented human torture scenes, with each one trying to shock us more with new ways to torture people to death. Aren't those special, and all in the name of entertainment.

And then we all sit around confused about the idea that there are more and more kids with absolutely no value of human life and suffering. I wonder where they get such attitudes from? I guess we're just too "sophisticated" to go back to the "hand shooters" ....eh?

You can thank Sam Peckinpah's Wild Bunch

The Quick And The Dead... Sharon Stone (HOT) and Gene Hackman... she leaves a bullet hole in his chest that the sunlight at his back shines through.. casting a light spot in the dirt on the ground in front of him... then the terrified look on his face that he has been shot by her... then she shoots him between the eyes. ..great gun fight movie in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Psl57DHHUSs

The scene starts at the 7 minute mark on the video

Edited by nyantler