Shotgun Slugs

As some of you may have read in another topic, I have been using Remington Copper Solid slugs in my 20 gauge with the problem of it going through the deer without expanding and leaving very small entry and exit holes. I am done using them, and am looking to find a slug that will give me the same type of performance accuracy wise, but will expand better upon impact. I havent had time to do much research, but I thought I had heard Hornady was making a ballistic tip slug for 20 gauge now? What are you guys using?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what i use in my 20 and i have had good luck with them.I shot a doe this year and it was a pass through at about 125yds.She ran mabey 50yds with double lung shot.They leave a good hole but i think with the 20 being so fast you will find the same with any slug.I had good sucess but i also had clear shot with good slug placement!!

All I use are plain old nasty 12 guage Winchester slugs. generally speaking I find the deer right where I saw them when I shot. My old Ithaca groups them pretty good too when I run my annual pre-season scope/gun check. I can't recommend them as being any better than anything else because I have not really done a lot of experimentation with different kinds of slugs. Winchester is pretty much what I started with. They always did the job and I just stayed with them. I'm sort of hoping that by next year here in Ontario county we will be talking about what caliber and load of deer rifle I should be using instead of shotgun slugs ..... lol.

20 gauge Hornady SST. Best place to buy is Dick's Sporting Goods when they go on sale for $9.99. I've looked hard and long for a better deal, but it's not there to the regular joe. Normal price is $14.99 with them going down to $10.99 at times on sale...but Dick's has done the $9.99 sale twice per year for the pas two seasons.

They do a number on the deer...all shots were all within 35 yards Sunday morning. Down range accuracy is great as well.

post-1678-131455390379_thumb.jpg

I use Winchester's.  They have always worked for me but I have had some accuracy problems with the 3in. shells shooting much higher then where I'm aiming at 50 yards where the 2 3/4 are just about right on (this is with open sights).  Also I have heard that lightfield makes the best there is according to some people at B Pro.  My buddy shoots them and likes them but they run him $15 for a box of 5.  LOL I pay $5 for a box of 5 :D !!!!

shooting is one thing but if the bullet isn't performing.....I would change. I ca't remember the what bullets my father had  but the same issue for his 270.....poke throughs and no expansion or dammage. got him on regular old soft tipped and he has been putting them in a pile ever since.

best grouping in the world is great but I like them on the ground...lol

lightfield hybred exp 2 3/4" puts them down in their tracks great expansion last slug was lodged in opposite shoulder and measured almost a full inch switched to them after blowing the belly out of a doe with barnes expander which entered just behind left shoulder imo the lightfields perform very well

shooting is one thing but if the bullet isn't performing.....I would change. I ca't remember the what bullets my father had  but the same issue for his 270.....poke throughs and no expansion or dammage. got him on regular old soft tipped and he has been putting them in a pile ever since.

best grouping in the world is great but I like them on the ground...lol

Right on. The Remington Copper Solids group great in my gun, Ive been shooting 3 inch groups with them since I really made an effort to figure out what shot best with that gun. Like I said, they arent expanding, and it wasnt just this last time. Ill try to get a picture up of the slug from Saturday, the only expansion happened when it hit the ground.

So after doing a bit of research and hearing what has been said, I think the slugs Ill be testing in my gun will be the Hornady SSTs, Remington Premier Core-Lokts, and the Winchester Supreme Elites. If anyone has any other suggestions in sabots, Id like to hear them.

BTW, I will not be going with Lightfields, those rounds lose too much steam after 100 yards and arent accurate enough past 50 yards for me. Been there, done that. They were the first slugs I used in this barrel and they were fine up close, but I want to be able to put something down at 125 yards.

Last season a good friend of mine was using his 870 with the copper solids. shot at a doe....thought the shot sounded funny and the deer didn't move...racked the action and shot again. the barrel exploded and ripped the barrel down the side and the second shot exited the barrel just above his hand on the fore end. the first shot had stayed in the barrel.

Remington took his gun and the boxes of slugs and after a couple months let him pick any new shotgun from their line. I don't think they ever gave him a determination on what happened.

Ok, here are pics of the slug. The area that did expand is where a small rock, about the same size as the slug, was lodged in it.

2010-12-15063355.jpg

2010-12-15063433.jpg

As you can see it did not expand the way it should. Add to that we found it after it had only penetrated the ground an inch or two. Far less penetration than youd expect.