Shotgun Slugs

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My humble opinion is that if a slug of that design hit some serious flesh, innards and or bone, you would see way more deformity on it.  I doubt that it would just zip thru and be as intact as you found it.  Since you found brown and white hair and some flesh on the slug, my opinion would be that it was just a flesh wound somewhere where brown hair meets white on the deer.  Thus I don't think we can say that the slug did not perform in this case at least.

My humble opinion is that if a slug of that design hit some serious flesh, innards and or bone, you would see way more deformity on it.  I doubt that it would just zip thru and be as intact as you found it.  Since you found brown and white hair and some flesh on the slug, my opinion would be that it was just a flesh wound somewhere where brown hair meets white on the deer.  Thus I don't think we can say that the slug did not perform in this case at least.

This is just the latest example. The unexpanded slug is not the biggest worry, its the fact that if it only hit meat, why was it slowed down enough to only go 2 inches into the ground on a 60 yard shot?

you didn't by chance shoot at him head on did you?

Nope. Broadside.

I am stumped...must be the gun...I'll give you $50 for it ;)

Its not a pretty gun, but I love it, it was the very first gun I ever bought or owned other than a BB gun. Shes got alot of deer to her name, and will never leave my family.  :) I might retire her at some point though. For now, Id just like to find a more effective slug. I dont like paying $15 a box for slugs that dont do their job very well.

Your friend made a serious mistake.

sounded funny  =  squib load:

Rule #1)  check barrel to make sure round cleared the barrel, and only then shoot again.  He shouldn't have racked the action and attempted another shot until he checked the firearm thoughly.

Squibs happen on mass production runs.

Last season a good friend of mine was using his 870 with the copper solids. shot at a doe....thought the shot sounded funny and the deer didn't move...racked the action and shot again. the barrel exploded and ripped the barrel down the side and the second shot exited the barrel just above his hand on the fore end. the first shot had stayed in the barrel.

Remington took his gun and the boxes of slugs and after a couple months let him pick any new shotgun from their line. I don't think they ever gave him a determination on what happened.

I absolutely agree blur. I am sure it was the heat of the moment. He said it didn't dawn on him until after the fact that the first round sounded funny. He is lucky he came away with his body parts intact. Slug exited over his left hand on the fore end and left about a one foot slice in the side of the barrel.

I'm surprised he got off a second round after racking the slide.

I had 2 doe look at me, and they spooked out immediately.

I absolutely agree blur. I am sure it was the heat of the moment. He said it didn't dawn on him until after the fact that the first round sounded funny. He is lucky he came away with his body parts intact. Slug exited over his left hand on the fore end and left about a one foot slice in the side of the barrel.

• 4 weeks later...

I too use the Lightfield Hybred Exp's in 12ga.  Those things kick like a mule.  They actually half eject themselves on their own out of my 870.  Felt like I busted my finger on a difficult shot one year when the fore end shot back toward the receiver, with my finger in the way.  Amazingly, these are only the 2-3/4", and I can use up to 3-1/2".

I use the lightfields as well in 20 gauge in my Ithica Deerslayer. I have had good luck with them as well and the 20 is a joy to shoot, screw them 12 gauges! Turn my dang shoulder all shades of bruise just shooting a box or two!!

I think I got through 3 of the 3" Lightfields before I wanted to cry.  I even tried using a pad between the butt and my shoulder.

I'm done with recoil too.  Downsized all my rifles to smaller calibers.  Gave the big stuff to my son, including the 12 ga.

Let the young guys shred their shoulders.

and I brought some managed recoil ammo just to play with.

they say the .30-06 MR ammo is lighter to shoot than a .243

and I brought reduced recoil slugs.

Well, I have decided that I will finally replace my old 20 ga and put it away for my daughter when she gets big enough. It was my first shotgun and will be her first shotgun as well. Im going to move to a Remington 870 in 12 ga, for which I already started stocking up on Hornady SSTs. Ive done a ton of research and they look like the best rated slugs out there. The lower recoil of the 20 was nice, but its time to just man up and let a 12 ga beat me up. Ill just put frozen venison steaks on the bruises.  :)

Well, I have decided that I will finally replace my old 20 ga and put it away for my daughter when she gets big enough. It was my first shotgun and will be her first shotgun as well. Im going to move to a Remington 870 in 12 ga, for which I already started stocking up on Hornady SSTs. Ive done a ton of research and they look like the best rated slugs out there. The lower recoil of the 20 was nice, but its time to just man up and let a 12 ga beat me up. Ill just put frozen venison steaks on the bruises.  :)

You can't go wrong with the ol' 870.

You can't go wrong with the ol' 870.

Yeah, they are good guns. The one Im going with is the slug gun with the Sureshot stock. Its extremely comfortable to hold, should be great to shoot.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-shurshot-synthetic-cantilever.aspx