Shotgun Slugs

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pound  for pound, dollar for dollar.. the ol' Rem. 870 is quite a shotgun..

I agree.  I got my first deer with my brother-in-law's 870.  He got his first deer with it.  At least 1, if not 2 or 3 of his Marine buddies also got their first deer with it.  I went out and got one of my own, and the thing's, for the lack of a better term, bullet proof.  There's suck a large aftermarket for them, that you can do just about anything with it.

• 1 month later...

I experienced the same if not worse problem when I tried the Federal Premium Copper Sabot Slugs, I shot a buck three times broadside with them before he finally dropped to a neck shot.............................hardly any entry or exit wound to speak of. I use the Remington solid coppers in my H&R slug gun, Brenneke's in my Remington 11-87 Premier, Remington Sluggers in my Ithaca 37 & Browning A-5.

FDXX75

I can across this target in the drawer of my reloading desk.

Browning A-5, smooth bore barrel, scoped, 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz. Remington Slugger rifled slugs

75 yds (bench and sandbags)

100_1561.jpg

I currently have 4 different shotguns set up for shooting strickly slugs through them, this being one of them.

FDXX75

Thanks for the suggestion. As long as the SSTs pattern well, Ill use them. If they dont work out, ill give those a try.

Grouping is only one part of the equation, I have heard all about how well the small .45 & .50 cal bullets group, but also the performance issues (adequate entry/exit holes, poor blood trail, or the opposite, huge damage, but mostly the first)

I tried others brands of similar construction with less than appealing results.

FDXX75

Ive used other sabots, the Remington copper solids to be exact, and had issues with them. I have done a ton of research and found that the problem with them seems to be their lack of expansion, as I had happen with the last one I used. The Hornady SSTs dont seem to have that issue due to their design, which is the same as other ballistic tip bullets. The performance should be very good, I havent heard of any complaints with them, so we will see. Like I said, if I dont like them for some reason, Ill try something else.

I use copper solids they shoot well out of my 870. They do seem to put a good size hole in deer. But I have not recovered one so far. I do have a 20lb block of duct seal I have shot them into, but they go clean though it at 50yds. I may try 40lb this spring. They do show signs of expansion but duct seal is denser then a deer.

I currently have 3 boxes of Remmy Solid Copper's left that I shoot in my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. I have taken two deer with that set up combination. But, I feel I might/could get better results with a different slug. I have not had the time to to match it up with something else yet.

What I did observe is the nose tabs(ears) break off and travel in multiple directions throughout the deer. The high 8pt. in my pics was the first buck harvested with this gun/ammo combo, while processing the deer I found 3 out of 4 tabs in the deer. 1 in the neck, 1 in a rib bone and the last one in the opposite hind quarter from the entry wound.

FDXX75

I had a picture of a slug that I shot a deer with this past season, it was a low hit, but the slug never expanded and I found it in the ground, it had barely penetrated the ground and was visible. I have also had many other deer run for a long way with little or no blood trail on a double lung hit. I just dont believe that the copper slugs can expand properly. I wont use them any more.

I had a picture of a slug that I shot a deer with this past season, it was a low hit, but the slug never expanded and I found it in the ground, it had barely penetrated the ground and was visible. I have also had many other deer run for a long way with little or no blood trail on a double lung hit. I just dont believe that the copper slugs can expand properly. I wont use them any more.

I had the same if not worse experience with the Federal Premium Solid Copper Sabots, I even tried the lead version with little to no improvement in performance.

I take on the lack of expansion is that the cooper is too hard and combined with the small diameter of the projectile, it flies true, hits hard but leave very small entry/exit wounds (which seal back up) Even with a perfectly placed shot in the vitals.

I will be interested to see/hear the results you have on the SST's, please share your data and input if you will.

FDXX75

Yeah, I figure the same thing with the solid copper slugs. I will definitely share my results with the SSTs. I just wish this weather would knock it off so I can get out to the range lol. Rain yesterday and getting pounded with snow today equals no range time this weekend for me.

Here are a couple of pictures of a Federal Barns expander slug. That I recovered from a deer I shot. As you can see the slug did not expand very well one peddle opened up and folded in. the slug was recovered from the deer’s neck facing backward it was the 2nd of 2 shots.

Here’s the story; the deer was coming at me and veered to my left I shot the 1st shot though both lungs at 15yd’s. So the 1st shot killed it but it did not drop it turned 90* facing away and start running. I put the 2nd shot though the left ham and recovered it in the neck on the right side the slug tumble almost though the length of the deer.

post-13-131455425554_thumb.jpg

post-13-131455425574_thumb.jpg

I tried one box of Barnes slugs, they did not group worth a crap out of my gun. (a huge waste of $15.00) I have heard the pro's/con's of their performance as well.

Either the open up and create major hacic or the fold up and the shooter sees minimal results............................yet another small caliber bullet saboted for shotgun use.

FDXX75

yea they grouped well in my 20 ga h&r but opened up to destroy the cavity i mean i want expansion but not an instant gut job as well

I saw a pic of an entry & exit wound on a 80lb doe in Tenn. that was hit by a Barnes from a 12 ga. I have never seen such a sight. Entry hole was straight through the front shoulders and 2" in diameter going in........................................6-7" hole in the opposite shoulder. Looked like a grenade went off inside that animal.

The guy lost both shoulders, most of the neck & part of the chops to damage..............................Yeah, there is such a thing and "too much damage".

Why both if all you are going to do is distroy half the meat.....................

FDXX75

Yeah, I figure the same thing with the solid copper slugs. I will definitely share my results with the SSTs. I just wish this weather would knock it off so I can get out to the range lol. Rain yesterday and getting pounded with snow today equals no range time this weekend for me.

WNYBH,

Check out this link, I came across the article and read some reviews on these. A lot of guys that were using the SST's tried these and switched rather quickly. I did not read one single non -5 star review on them.

I think I am going to pick up a box to see how they perform. I will be needing a replacement for the solid coppers.

http://www.americanhunter.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1428&cid=59

FDXX75

Anyone use the Remington Accutip Bonded Sabot Slug (http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/slugs/premier-accutip-bonded-sabot-slug.aspx)

If so how'd they work? 

Xmas gift was a new 870 (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-sps-shurshot-synthetic-super-slug.aspx)

Obviously Remington recommended their slugs for the gun, but if anyone shoots a similar model gun what type of slug have you been most happy with?

Prob end up getting the Accutip and Hornady SST just to compare both seems like most have gave the thumbs up to the SST's