Nonresident hunting in ny with 30 cal ar

Slaynbux

Wondering if anyone could tell me if I can legally hunt with my ar in ny I'm from nh . Registration doesn't apply to me. Would I have to make modifications. Have rem 30 ar 4 roung mags no threaded muzzle non adjustable buttstock.

If the rifle meets the "safe" act definition of an AW, you cannot legally posses it in NY. The only way it would be legal is if you possessed it prior to the law taking effect and then registered it prior to the deadline. As a NH resident, I don't believe registration was possible. An option might be to modify it so no longer meets NYs definition of an AW.. then modify it back to original condition when you get back to NH.

Basically the law is designed to get rid of these rifles for good. Current owners were able register. However, they cannot sell, transfer or even pass to the heirs within NYS. There is no way to bring such a rifle.

This is my understanding of the law. It is not legal advice and is worth what you paid for it. :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Slaynbux!

And welcome to New Yorkistan. I'm glad you asked about the issue before having your firearm confiscated and becoming another checkmark on the emperor's list.

I had to replace a thumbhole stock on my 10/22 benchrest gun because of this silliness. :negative:

The only thing clear about NYS gun laws, is that they are so disfunctional, even law enforcement doesn't know all the laws. And won't enforce some of the one's they do know.

Perhaps if these laws were not rushed and passed in the middle of the night, by a corrupt bunch of politicians. We might all have a better understanding of the gun laws in NYS.

ditto. what are you hunting with an AR anyhow? Not trying to derail the thread, I know some do hunt with them, just a little odd to me when there are better models at generally cheaper prices and optics.

There arent many factory semi autos out there that can hang with an AR in the accuracy department. Especially for the same money. you can put any optics on an AR that you want.

There arent many factory semi autos out there that can hang with an AR in the accuracy department. Especially for the same money. you can put any optics on an AR that you want.

yeah not trying to turn it into a debate. Just curious I guess. I can buy a ruger american for ~400 with a economy scope. I can't buy any AR for that that I know of, and the american is meant for hunting.

is it "just because"?

yeah not trying to turn it into a debate. Just curious I guess. I can buy a ruger american for ~400 with a economy scope. I can't buy any AR for that that I know of, and the american is meant for hunting.

is it "just because"?

You are comparing a bolt action to a semi auto. ARs are "meant for hunting" as much as any other rifle.

• Like 2

Yes, that modification makes it compliant.

I've been curious about this.  technically you have to take apart the gun by opening the upper from the lower, to get the mag out.  I haven't heard anything more than that laymen's reasoning.  no official legal stance has been made for it that I know of.  hear anything different?

To each his own.you did spent half as much, and have half the gun in accuracy, rate of fire ,ergonomics, and diy service ability. Also mult purpose wouldn't want that bolt gun in a self defense situation. All these thing cost more

• Like 2

I've been curious about this.  technically you have to take apart the gun by opening the upper from the lower, to get the mag out.  I haven't heard anything more than that laymen's reasoning.  no official legal stance has been made for it that I know of.  hear anything different?

They havent released anything in writing that the stocks would make it legal either as far as I know. If you have to take the upper and lower apart to remove the magazine, its the same as any other fixed magazine, regardless of how fast you can do it. Im not sure about the bullet button though.

is it "just because"?

If you compare it to the semi's it isn't that far off on price point. Look at the 7400,  browning or others.  . $750-$1,100. Plus the ability to accessorize and switch calibers is a plus that other autos in that range don't offer.

• Like 3

They havent released anything in writing that the stocks would make it legal either as far as I know. If you have to take the upper and lower apart to remove the magazine, its the same as any other fixed magazine, regardless of how fast you can do it. Im not sure about the bullet button though.

The stock opting seems much more clear though. no pistol grip or thumbhole. Plus the stores must have gotten something if they are selling them on the shelves without an issue.