Any Axe or Hatchet Aficionados?

I recently found an old hatchet head in my fathers storage shed. It has really bad patina with some rough pitting. I was able to make out the following "B.x Swift" as the makers mark. I can't find much via google on this hatchet head and was hoping someone would be able to tell me more about the item. I need a new hatchet and wanted to put some effort into a piece providing it was worthy. Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

About 5-6 years ago I bought a Husqvarna hatchet.  Not sure why but I thought it'd be pretty neat for camp fire wood...........it is a very nicely built tool.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_68696/Husqvarna-13-Inch-Wooden-Handle-Hatchet-576926401.html?rd=gpf_68696&utm_source=ShoppingBranded&gclid=CNut_IO84MQCFdcYgQod2zMA0Q

You have got me thinking, NSNH... I have a couple of hatchets and have never checked them for MFG marks or whatever. One of them looks a lot like the Husqvarna hatchet that Lawdwaz posted..I have used it for a lot of little chores, like chopping off heads, wings and feet when butchering poultry and small game and various other chores.

I'll have to check them out for markings.. I think I got them both at yard sales.

I checked my hacthets and actually I have three.  The one I use the most is a Boy Scouts of America Genuine Plumb.  It is in good shape and has the original handle.  The other two are a Collins and a Dunlap. All are quality American made tools, but the BSA Plumb appears the most valuable..Perhaps I should clean it up and  retire it and use one of the others.

Twenty-nine years ago when I moved into my house, I found a stash of old tools in the garage. Many were rusted, some, being old and from an age and day when they made things to last, I brought many of them back to life if they could be useful to me again.

One item was an old, rusted axe head in the bottom of a wooden milk crate, I took a wire wheel brush and removed all the old rust. The head was forged, and had a "Plumb" stamp on it. I knew I had something worthwhile. I took all the rust off, and refinished the metal head with cold-blue. I procured a new handle, fit the end in the axe and secured it with Acraglas, gave it a BLO finish, a coat of wax, added a hole at the end for some paracord to wrap around my wrist to keep the axe from slipping. It's sharp enough to shave with. If I change anything when this handle breaks, I'll look for a longer one, with a bit more curve to it.

Axe.jpg

Edited by Setters4life
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

I have a habit picking up old hatchets and little axes on flea markets, garage sale environments. Ones with handles for $5., without sometimes for $2. cut out a nice hickory handle, linceed oil them and install. If I think I have to many, I flea them, making a nice little profit. Sometimes, people just want to get rid of them. There's some nice old ones. They sure don't Mak,em like they use too.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Know this is an old thread. I picked up a couple of ax heads for $2  on a Flea Market in Medina, yesterday. One reads American Fork and Hoe. The other has Walters on it. Can't tell if it's from Canada or New York. American writing, not French.   I  got to get going making up the right style handles for these heads,I'm collecting.

• Like 1