Wayne County Trout

Fehyd643

Looking for more spots around my neck of the woods for trout.

I have a friend that knows the southern areas (East and West Coy Creek) but I can rarely make that kind of trip.  At most, I only have a few hours to fish at a time and I dont want to spend most of that driving.

I'm primarily a bass fisherman (Sodus Bay with my bass boat) but am really trying to bust my Trout Cherry!

I know most people won't give up their spots, so I propose a trade.  You help me out with creek fishing, and I will take you out for Bass in June!  ...or May for pike, or whatever I can help with whenever.  lol

PM me please, or post up in here if you like.  I live in newark, and would like to find some spots somewhat close by primarily for trout.

Thanks!

Joshua

Josh, 

I have caught trout in the Outlet in Phelps, this was several years ago and I wasn't fishing for Trout just happen to catch 2 small ones.  I think your best bet is to hit Irondequoit Creek (spots in Penfield and Powder Mill Park).  Within 30 minutes of Newark.  Good Luck.

Here's some good starting points. I fished Maxwell on opening day 3-4 years ago and this hardcore guy pulled a beast out about 20 yards down from me. He left and I went over to inspect the area and the pool was a textbook location. Did some wading and looked for similar set ups and it worked well.

Maybe I'll take you up on the bass fishing this year. My fishing days afield have shrunk the more I bowhunt and that is a shame. My wife is from Newark and her family lives off of the canal.

Here's a raw article I wrote for NY Outdoor News about 5 years ago. Much of it applies today.

Wayne County’s Lake Ontario Tributaries

There are some pretty big – think famous- names when it comes to Lake Ontario’s best fishing tributaries. Names such as Oak Orchard, Oswego, Salmon, and Genesee quickly come to mind; however, not one of them resides in Wayne County. Despite the lack of a big name draw, Wayne County’s tributaries produce serious fall salmon and trout angling action that will rival any in the state without the elbow-to-elbow crowds.

If there’s anyone who has a stranglehold on Wayne County fishing, it’s Chris Kenyon, who serves as the recreation coordinator for the Wayne County Tourism board. Kenyon is also the director for the Wayne County leg of the Lake Ontario Pro-Am tournament.

“Wayne County is certainly known for quality fishing, but when people think about fall runs and winter tributary action, the big press names seem to get most of the attention,” Kenyon said. “The truth is that there’s some big time fishing available on the county’s creeks and rivers.”

MAXWELL CREEK

At the top of the list is Maxwell Creek. Sure, its name may not cause a Pavlonian response at its mere mention; however, it can produce as well as, and in many cases, better than, the more well-known tributaries.

The annual fall runs begin in September when king and coho salmon begin staging at the mouth of the creek and the quality of fishing gradually increases. The salmon run tends to peak in early-to-mid October. At that point, brown trout move in chasing salmon eggs.

One of the conveniences of fishing Maxwell is its plentiful access. There is a public parking area on Lake Road in the Town of Sodus right next to the creek. The DEC owns portions of the eastern bank leaving plenty of opportunity to explore without the fear of encroaching on another angler.

Maxwell does attract more fishing pressure than other creeks in Wayne County, especially when the brown trout action heats up and later when the steelhead frenzy peaks in January and February. Still, the total angler numbers are no comparison to other big name tributaries across Lake Ontario’s shorelines. The reduced pressure and high fishing quality usually results in a great day on the water.

Evidence of Maxwell’s impressive catch rates can be found in the DEC’s annual Lake Ontario report. The highest catch rates are for steelhead, likely due to the annual stocking performed by the DEC.

“Overall, the bigger volume flow of Maxwell means that it can host larger runs,” Kenyon said. “There’s just plenty of fish to be caught by anglers at the peak of the season.”

BEAR CREEK

Bear Creek is another popular tributary that grows in favor with anglers – once they encounter it. The reason is likely due to its wide spectrum of fishing opportunities and access. Bear Creek gets its fair share of salmon, steelhead, and brown trout action, but it’s also a good place to land sizeable pike, smallmouth bass, and other warm water game species.

Public access is available right at the mouth of the creek with a boat launch located in the Town of Ontario. Because of the access, many boaters choosing the creek as a starting point quickly realize that they are smack in the middle of prime fall fishing territory.

“Most people find out that there’s good fishing on Bear Creek through a first-hand experience when launching their boat, usually in the late summer months for bass or other fish and sometimes into the first runs,” Kenyon said. “When they see that it’s a viable option for catching big salmon and trout, they return later and they’re usually surprised.”

Kenyon suggests checking out the first half-mile stretch at the mouth of Bear Creek as the staging begins. “Any rocky bottoms in this area are prime locations for browns,” he said.

SALMON CREEK

Not to be confused with the mighty Salmon River, public access is admittedly the biggest challenge to fishing Salmon Creek – because there is no public access. The fishable sections of the creek are ringed by private property.

Although that might seem like a deal-breaker, it’s really not. “Knocking on a door or two can lead to access to the creek,” Kenyon said. “Most sportsmen are familiar with asking for permission from landowners to hunt, so it’s not that difficult. And, when you do get on Salmon Creek, you’ll see that it’s worth it.”

Another option is to cover the mouth of Salmon Creek by launching at a private marina in the Town of Pultneyville. “The salmon fishing in the Pultneyville harbor can be pretty good in September, but when the fish begin moving into Salmon Creek, the increased concentration means that there are going to be some big fish available for the catching,” Kenyon said.

The fall runs here mimic those of Maxwell Creek, although on a smaller scale because of the lesser outflow and because there are no traditional stockings. However, the fishing pressure on Salmon Creek is minimal at best, leaving plenty of big fish for those who make the effort.

LANDING THE FISH

Truthfully, there’s no big secret to catching fish in good numbers on Wayne County’s tributaries. That’s because the traditional fan favorite – egg sacs – have proven to be the top performer over the years. “Most anglers use egg sacs because it works, is simple to rig, and easy to fish,” said Kenyon. Bouncing the bottom produces the best results.

Small jigs and spoons, such as a Little Cleo, are popular alternatives that can bring in a few fish and the occasional lunker.

Maxwell, Bear, and Salmon all have the ability to produce salmon up to the 20-to-25 pound range and upper-end browns ranging from 8-to-14 pounds. Steelhead sizes vary, although the biggest will likely be found in Maxwell Creek.

“The best part about fishing the tributaries in Wayne County is that you get the same quality of fishing as you would on the bigger name waters without the large crowds, so you’re really getting an authentic fishing experience,” Kenyon said. “You can drive the Great Lakes Seaway Trail in the fall and if you cross a creek with manageable water, you can stop and toss a line with some expectations because chances are good that you’re going to find fish. There are just so many choices, even beyond Maxwell, Bear, and Salmon.”

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Mizro;

I haven't actually tried Phelps yet.  I need to drive around and find some public access points.  The DEC public fishing rights maps are very very limited, and don't have the outlet.  They have zero maps of Wayne County as well, which is the reason for this post.

There is a map of Irondequoit Creek though, so I can scout that one without trespassing.  :)  Thank you for that suggestion!

Joshua

Phade;

Thank you!  This is exactly the stuff I'm looking for.  I'll definitely check out Bear Creek over the next month.

I'm serious about the bass fishing trips.  I just bought a new boat over the winter and am dying to get out.  Hoping to hit Conesus for Pike come May, and then am am mostly in Sodus Bay. I will usually be out every single sunday when the weather is decent and something is in season.  Any time your interested, shoot me a message!  I'm still a very novice fisherman, so everyone that comes on the boat will have tips/tricks and techniques I can learn.

Joshua

Way back in the olden days when I was still working to save Xerox, we used to go up to Webster Park this time of year and fish off the pier. Had to throw everything back because they wouldn't have taken kindly to us dragging fish into work ..... lol. No, we didn't get fish on every cast, but we did have some pretty good days. I loved hooking some of those pigs in open lake water where you could have a little tussle. Used to use a blue and silver Little Cleo. Used to feed the lake bottom a lot of Little Cleos too with those spoon eating boulders at the bottom. But anyway there is a spot if you live anywhere's near there.

And then, if you know anyone with a boat, the warm water out-flow of the nuke plant was one heck of a great trout & salmon fishery. The warm water would draw in the bait fish and the trout & salmon would be in there feeding like crazy things. And the fish didn't glow too much .... lol. They hardly would make a geiger counter tick very much at all.

• Like 1