ANTI-POACHING INITIATIVE SHINES LIGHT ON 137 VIOLATORS - “Operation Dark Night”

HuntingNY

ANTI-POACHING INITIATIVE SHINES LIGHT ON 137 VIOLATORS

“Operation Dark Night” Targets “Deer Jacking” Statewide;

More than 250 Charges Filed

A major operation to crack down on illegal deer poaching from Montauk to Buffalo has led to charges against 137 individuals for more than 250 offenses, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) announced today.

The initiative, dubbed, “Operation Dark Night,” focused on the illegal taking of deer by use of artificial light – a practice commonly known as “deer jacking.”  This involves nighttime wildlife crimes where poachers shine a spotlight on a deer feeding in fields to “freeze” the animal long enough to shoot it – killing deer when they are most vulnerable.  Typically, deer jacking occurs in remote rural areas, late at night.  Due to these late hours and secluded areas, there are few, if any, witnesses to this crime.

This fall, DEC undertook the largest coordinated anti-deer jacking initiative in the state’s history.  During a seven-week period, ECOs were assigned to saturation patrols in targeted rural locations in every part of the state except New York City, with stakeouts taking place at all hours of the night.  While ECOs are vigilant for wildlife poaching crimes throughout the year, these targeted patrols largely covered the weeks before the start of the southern zone deer season, when, historically, DEC fields numerous complaints about deer jacking.

“Our officers’ work sends a strong message that such illegal practices will not be tolerated,” said Peter Fanelli, DEC’s Director of Law Enforcement. “During this operation, they put in long hours at night, often dealing with armed individuals.  Their effort speaks of their dedication to the job and to protecting New York’s natural resources.”         

“Most hunters play by the rules – but deer jackers don’t,” Acting Commissioner Peter Iwanowicz said. “This illegal practice not only gives them an unfair advantage but also puts many unsuspecting people who may be nearby at risk. DEC takes this crime seriously for many reasons – safety, foremost.”

During the seven-week operation, DEC officers charged 137 individuals with more than 250 misdemeanors and violations. This included 10 instances of killing a deer at night with the use of a spotlight or other artificial light and 79 instances where a hunter was caught using a light but had not yet killed a deer.

Typically, other related charges were filed in these instances, such as carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle, discharging a firearm over a public highway or within 500 feet of a dwelling and using a spotlight within 500 feet of a dwelling.

By region, 124 misdemeanors and violations were filed in the Adirondack Park and surrounding North Country, 48 were filed in the Capital Region and Catskills, 47 in Central New York, 24 in Western New York and 9 on Long Island.

Fifteen guns were confiscated, along with seven spotlights and eight illegally-taken deer.

Many Environmental Conservation Law offenses relating to deer jacking are misdemeanors which may result in significant fines and/or jail time. Additionally, hunting license privileges of convicted deer poachers may be revoked in New York State as well as simultaneously in other states that are members of the Wildlife Violator Compact and honor reciprocal revocations.

Turn in Poachers and Polluters (TIPP) Hotline

DEC encourages anyone with information on environmental crimes and violations are urged to call its 24-hour hotline, 1-800-TIPP-DEC or 1-800-847-7332. Callers may request to file complaints anonymously. An online form also is available at www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/67751.html

Penalties

“Taking of deer with the aid of an artificial light” is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $250 to $2,000 and/or incarceration for up to one year, as well as possible revocation of hunting privileges for up to five years.

“Operating an artificial light on lands inhabited by deer while possessing a firearm” is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $200 to $1,000 and/or incarceration for up to 90 days.

Violations are punishable by a fine of up to $250 and/or incarceration of up to 15 days.

Additionally, hunting privileges may be revoked in New York State as well as simultaneously in many other states who are members of the Wildlife Violator Compact.

Now I know why bubba says it is so much safer in the woods up north. No one is in them in the daylight....lol

No kidding!!  I was really surprised to see that the Adirondacks had that many violations, way more than the other regions.  I know it's a big area up there, but then with such a vast area I would think it be less likely to get caught also.  I guess the poachers up there are not too smart.

what no one told us upstate hicks you cant shoot no deers at night.  They stand real still at night.  My fish and game club bought them a fake robot deer to use.  And believe me the guys who are out at night are not the ones who you want in the woods during the day. To call them hunters is improper english.  Plus those are the ones who got caught legally.  You should see how we handle the ones we catch. 

“Operating an artificial light on lands inhabited by deer while  possessing a firearm” is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $200 to  $1,000 and/or incarceration for up to 90 days."

How does this work w/coon or predator hunting?  Am I missing something here?, cause I know that is legal.  Is this only referring to motor vehicles? 

You guys can read right in the regs that hunting coyotes at night with a spotlight and any weapon is 100% legal. You are not allowed to shoot coyotes from a car or across a highway, and you are not allowed to do so during any open deer season.

was the shotgun requirement for when running with dogs?

Im not sure about the regs for using dogs or coon hunting.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I myself feel that if you need to go out at night with a light to be able to kill a deer, then you must be a piss poor excuse for a hunter.

I see no rhyme or reason for people to have to resort to this behavior.

If people have to resort to this kind of behavior and get caught (as well they should) I feel they should have to forfeit any and ALL equipment they have with them, including vehicles, guns, bows, lights, what ever.

They should also be thrown in jail and made to pay "Huge" fines and preform community  service as a way to "give back" what they have STOLEN from the rest of us.