Calling vs. stalking

WhitetailAddict11

I agree. I don't see the issue unless you're wearing and red and blue bandana and gobbling... which would be weird as you should be calling to sound like a hen.

Gobbling is one of the most effective calls for mature toms.

It is discouraged due to safety concerns, especially on public land. Hunters "stalking" the sound being paramount to those concerns.

I once called in a whole flock of about a dozen jakes with a gobble on my own property. I was set up in a brush covered rock pile in a meadow, so safety wasn't a concern.

It is discouraged due to safety concerns, especially on public land. Hunters "stalking" the sound being paramount to those concerns.

I once called in a whole flock of about a dozen jakes with a gobble on my own property. I was set up in a brush covered rock pile in a meadow, so safety wasn't a concern.

Yeah don't get me wrong I have one on the vest, but would not use it on a stalk.

So are real hens effective at calling mature toms. Therefore,  a hunter might stalk another hunter who is  using a hen call or move closer to him. Especially if the calling hunter is getting a response from a gobbler. 

This will drive a few nuts...oh well... but just had a blast checking my voice on a Tom...he was 300 yrds out and looked to be alone...just feeding...I opened the kitchen door and did a series...he picked up his head and started looking...then strutting and slowly angling my way....I went about getting more coffee...few minutes later I did a bit more...next thing I know here comes a hen running toward the house... she was 200 ft in front of him and in a dip. LoL... she looked hot! Well a bus came down the road turning them, not for long...I went to the back of the house and yelped out the window...she went the length of the field angling toward us and then came back past the house Tom in tow...they are now across the street on our place...Now I know what they are reacting to...bring the hens...Tom's will follow...big boy...long thin beard...so far 4 different adults seen. No gobbling has been heard in 2 weeks...listening to hens behind the house now...

So are real hens effective at calling mature toms. Therefore, a hunter might stalk another hunter who is using a hen call or move closer to him. Especially if the calling hunter is getting a response from a gobbler.

I once had an a$$wipe stalk a bird that I had called from over 1/4 mile. He was hung up so close I could hear his feathers shake when he gobbled, but I was in the woods & there we some ground cover so I couldn't see him.

I quit calling & after a bit I heard him gobble farther down in the valley. I got up & quickly walked about 15 yds to where I he had hung up. I heard rustling in the leaves & some youngster scurried up, got on his knees & started calling right there in front of me.

In New Jersey _ where I am now hunting---One reg says --You are not allowed to sneak up on the bird. Good subject to bring up! 

how do you even enforce or measure that regulation? What if i'm walking to the truck and cross a field where there's a tom? Do I wave and pass by? Can I not use my locator to get to a good spot nearby? What if I'm just run and gunning? Is that illegal?

If your experienced enough and feel safe on the lands you hunt it can be done especially after a downpour and the leaves are soft and quiet. Best bird I ever got on my lease..20lbs 9" beard....wouldnt come to the call but gobbled incessantly to everything I threw at him..I finally got tired of waiting and stalked on my hands and knees to the edge of the clearing where he was strutting for a hen (the reason he wouldnt commit) and bushwacked him..legal?..yes..ethical? to me yes...dangerous?..you bet ya!

post-3304-0-40224900-1429741978_thumb.jp

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN
  • Like 1