What kind of barrel is this?

That's a barrel with the original Mossberg adjustable choke that used to come on their factory barrels.  It works like a Poly Choke.  You screw it down to tighten it to Full and unscrew it to open it up to Cyl.  Those fingers inside are forced together by that collar when it's tightened.  The little silver plate on the top tells you where the choke is set.  Popular in the late 1960's.

It has a rather short forcing cone so recoil is higher when it's set to full and the patterns were not known to be the best, but it does adjust the pattern when needed.  Never shoot it without the choke collar installed and tightened at least to the Cyl setting.  It could damage it.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 3

One thing that must be considered with shotgun slugs is performance on game.  All slugs will kill deer, but some have a tendency to penetrate completely through the deer without expanding.  The saboted ones that are made from hard lead and are often only about .50 caliber with a wasp waist style are especially bad. They may be very accurate, but they may also set the hunter up for a long tracking task after the shot.  If you hunt in a populated area, you may also find the deer runs far enough for another hunter to have a chance to finish it off.

I prefer to consider terminal performance of a slug first, then buy some to check accuracy.

This Mossberg barrel will work well on most full size slugs out to 75 yards or so. The gun's receiver probably isn't tapped for a scope.  Adding a scope to the receiver with a saddle type mount often helps to extend the range to about 100 yards.

Cut that abomination off with a hack saw................today.

:)

Ha! Seriously though, that will just lower the value of the gun.  Besides opening it all the way to Cyl mode offers the same open bore as sawing it off.  

Ha! Seriously though, that will just lower the value of the gun.  Besides opening it all the way to Cyl mode offers the same open bore as sawing it off.  

I'd not be too concerned on the value of a Mossberg 500 that has a Poly Choke onboard. 

I'd roll the dice on a cylinder bore over an eyesore.............. 8)

• Like 2

Mossberg 500 with that "abomination" of a choke was my first gun. I still have it. My father, who knew nothing about guns, brought it home for me from Ames Department store. I think he paid about $120 for it new. I remember thinking, "what the hell is with the ugly choke thing?" But I didn't complain.

It did shoot slugs pretty well at 50 yards and I took my first deer with it.

It may be ugly, but it adds versatility to the gun.  It will tighten patterns, but tends to string the shot when it does because of the short forcing cone in the choke.  But in reality, it's no worse performance wise than many of the screw in chokes that are supplied on guns today.

• Like 1

There were several different adjustable chokes available in the days before screw in choke tubes became common.

The most familiar one was the Poly Choke, and many oldtimers refer to any adjustable choke as a "polychoke" regardless of the manufacturer.

They were functional, but ugly as a side order of s**t.  On the used gun market they are a kiss of death. Many quality repeaters such as Win M12s, Browning A-5s, Ithaca M37s   and anothers are worth less  money because Grandpa decided to have a Polychoke installed back in 1952..

Both Winchester and Ithaca could be had with a factory-installed Poly Choke. My Dad's early post-war M37 has a Poly Choke, w/ no choke designation stamp on the barrel. Whether they did the actual installation is a bit of a mystery in some circles.

Winchester had special orders as well.

9752497_2.jpg?v=8CD1F4560350580

Remingtons could be had from the factory with Cutts Compensators also...I have also seen quite a few Win M12s with the Cutts, so they may have been available from Winchester also and maybe Browning..  For some reason, I don't recall ever seeing an Ithaca with a Cutts.

I actually liked the looks of the Cutts better than the polychokes, despite the fact that they were larger. You could buy fixed choke tubes for them( a lot of guys used the SPREADER tube for skeet) or you could screw an adjustable tube into them.I had a Rem 11-48 28 gauge with one, and shot several Remingtons, M12s, and Brownings belonging to friends that were equipped with Cutts Compensators.

Those suckers were LOUD though  !!  They were worse to stand off to the side ( as on a skeet field) than they were to shoot.

My father has an Ithaca Model 37 16ga that has to be from the 40's I'd guess and it has a Poly Choke welded on.........it served him very well but I'd bet a dollar to donuts he's never touched it. :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

I have an old Sears with the poly choke. Shoots rifled slugs just fine.I have gotten deer and ducks with it , it was my first gun my father bought me at age 14, I turn 40 on Friday.I know it might not be collector material but it works for me.

Since I only shoot muzzle loaders now it's a safe queen unless my daughters want to try it out.

• Like 1

I have an old Sears with the poly choke. Shoots rifled slugs just fine.I have gotten deer and ducks with it , it was my first gun my father bought me at age 14, I turn 40 on Friday.I know it might not be collector material but it works for me.

Since I only shoot muzzle loaders now it's a safe queen unless my daughters want to try it out.

What action is your Sears shotgun ?

Sears and Roebuck, of course, did not manufacture firearms, but put there brand name on guns made by several different companies.

If I remember correctly, their pumps and autos were made by High Standard.   I believe that their bolt shotguns were made by Mossberg, and their single shots were made by Savage.

Sears sold as j.c.Higgins I believe.

Right you are, G-Man...

And, if I remember correctly, Western Auto sold as REVELATION and Montgomery Ward sold as WESTERN FIELD.

Same deal...Most of the guns were made by High Standard, Mossberg, or Marlin.