Installed new trigger spring on my Savage Axis

I was looking to improve the trigger on my Savage Axis in 7mm-08.I went to amazon.com and found an after market trigger spring with great reviews,for about $20,including shipping. It came three days after ordering,with very good installation instructions and pictures. Also found a u-tube vidieo that was very helpful. Taking my time,it took about 20 minutes to install. Started out with an average trigger pull of 6.10lbs.After installation, I now have an average trigger pull of 3.11lbs.! Big improvement over the stock trigger in my opinion.

I was looking to buy a timney trigger,but they cost over $100 before having them installed. So I figured for a fraction of the cost of a new trigger assembly I'd give it a try. This is a hunting rifle,not a bench gun,and I'm very pleased with the results. Can't wait to see how much my groups shrink after this simple and cheap upgrade. I'll repost the results after shooting.

• Like 3

I was looking to improve the trigger on my Savage Axis in 7mm-08.I went to amazon.com and found an after market trigger spring with great reviews,for about $20,including shipping. It came three days after ordering,with very good installation instructions and pictures. Also found a u-tube vidieo that was very helpful. Taking my time,it took about 20 minutes to install. Started out with an average trigger pull of 6.10lbs.After installation, I now have an average trigger pull of 3.11lbs.! Big improvement over the stock trigger in my opinion.

I was looking to buy a timney trigger,but they cost over $100 before having them installed. So I figured for a fraction of the cost of a new trigger assembly I'd give it a try. This is a hunting rifle,not a bench gun,and I'm very pleased with the results. Can't wait to see how much my groups shrink after this simple and cheap upgrade. I'll repost the results after shooting.

3# is a good hunting weight trigger if it doesn't have creep.

Got my spring. No rush to install it just yet.

I'd say you should have similar results to mine when done. It's the best $20 upgrade I could have made! Made a big difference. If you don't have the accu-trigger,this is next best thing,for the money.

I'd like to know your results when finished.

• Like 1

my varmint rifle is a savage with the accu-trigger... it breaks at around 2lbs.  my browning abolt is my primary deer rifle and it breaks at around 3lbs.  it's a nice weight for a hunting trigger.  6 lbs seems like a heavy trigger but I don't have much experience with the axis rifles.

So I installed the new spring.  It is a lot less robust than the factory spring, which accounts for the lower poundage. At first I was a bit dubious given how much smaller (in terms of the spring diameter) the new spring is. It looked kinda flimsy compared to the thicker factory spring. Anyway, install was quick n easy and the trigger pull feels a lot nicer now. No trigger play at all which was my main concern. Have not shot the rifle yet. Might get out later if the rain holds off.

Have any of you tried dropping the butt smartly onto a wood block or padded surface that will not damage the stock yet test the security of the lighter trigger?

I always do the "drop test" when doing trigger work, whether I've installed an aftermarket trigger or modified a factory trigger.

If it's going to drop the sticker, it's good to find it out under controlled conditions.

• Like 2

Yes, I did the drop test at least half a dozen times after installing the new spring. It was even written in the instructions to do so. I dropped it,shook it and dropped it some more to be sure of no accidental trigger release. And to be sure the safety worked properly. Good advice wildcat.

While $20 is a lot cheaper than a new Timney trigger, someone is making a killing in those springs. You can get springs at a local hardware store for less than a dollar.

Here's a write up of a trigger job I did a few years back. My 5mm Remington Magnum center fire conversion had a horrible 8# trigger pull. I purchased some springs at the local hardware store, added a sear engagement screw & did some stone work on the sear.

http://5mmforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/516-m591-trigger-work/?p=2822

For sure someone is making money from selling these springs for $20. Good for them,wish I had thought of it first. That's just free enterprise,selling something someone wants for a profit. For my $20 I got a product that worked exactly as advertised,was simple to install and above all,was safe to use. If you go online you can find video's of guys using ink pen springs in their trigger assemblies. Would it work in my gun? Maybe,or maybe not. So I wanted to be sure of it being SAFE,as the spring I ordered was made for my Savage Axis. From start to finish,the installation took twenty minutes,it would take me longer than that to just drive to the hardware store here.

All that being said, I did look at your post from 2012,and I think you did a fine job on your 5mm Rem. Mag. doing the work yourself. And by the way I think that is a very cool rifle!

• Like 1

For sure someone is making money from selling these springs for $20. Good for them,wish I had thought of it first. That's just free enterprise,selling something someone wants for a profit. For my $20 I got a product that worked exactly as advertised,was simple to install and above all,was safe to use. If you go online you can find video's of guys using ink pen springs in their trigger assemblies. Would it work in my gun? Maybe,or maybe not. So I wanted to be sure of it being SAFE,as the spring I ordered was made for my Savage Axis. From start to finish,the installation took twenty minutes,it would take me longer than that to just drive to the hardware store here.

All that being said, I did look at your post from 2012,and I think you did a fine job on your 5mm Rem. Mag. doing the work yourself. And by the way I think that is a very cool rifle!

I seriously doubt that the spring "was made for your Savage AXIS" or it would cost more than $20. Good example, is the simple trigger mechanism for the AXIS costs 2X as much as a the much more complex M98 Mauser trigger from Timney. Volume drives down price. Having a spring made for the application would be cost prohibitive, especially since the proper length/tension already exists.

Now, for the person that did the legwork to find which hardware store spring was a proper fit for the AXIS, kudos for his entrepreneurial initiative. Once he had the manufacturer's product number, he probably bought a thousand of them for 10¢ each. I wish I had an AXIS in hand to do the same.

All the ACCU-Trigger has for adjustment is a screw that applies tension to the same spring arrangement. The ACCU-Trigger just adds the sear block in the trigger shoe for added security from litigation for Savage.

Happy to here your results are satisfactory.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2015 at 9:33 AM, wildcat junkie said:

All the ACCU-Trigger has for adjustment is a screw that applies tension to the same spring arrangement. The ACCU-Trigger just adds the sear block in the trigger shoe for added security from litigation for Savage.

That's what I always felt about the Accu-triggers and just another reason I dislike them.  Many will claim that the trigger is the best thing since sliced bread, but all it is, is a lawyers trigger.   Pretty soon guns won't go off unless you stand on your right leg, pat your head with your left hand, while pulling the trigger with your right.  Of course the trigger will have to read your fingerprints first!  LOL   We should be careful what we like and wish for.

• Like 2