BOUGHT A NEW GUN!!!...kind of

jimbo91

So i went up to gander last night to buy my uncle some 150gr slugs for his muzzleloader, when  i decide to browse the gun rack. I came across a remington 770 .270 caliber for $350.00! Youd better believe i was there with $100.00 this morning to put it on layaway. I know some people will tell you that the 770 have nothing but problems compared to the 700, but that is a big price difference, and this is my first rifle so problems or not im gonna have some fun with it.My question is, if i want to be dead on at 150 yards, how high do i need to sight it in at 50 yards?

I bought a new rifle last year. I was on a tight budget. I looked at the 770 and was not to happy with the action(bolt was sloppy) I ended up getting the TC Venture in 30-06. Got it from Gander for $450. They knocked 50 bucks off because I found a little scuff on the stock. The way I look at it is Its something you're gonna have for the rest of your life. So spend your money on something you will be happy with and not regret. Gander also has tha Savage model 111FCXP3 rifle package for $399 also. Comes in .270 and 30-06. Much better action in my opinion.

To answer your queston, there is no answer.  There are too many variables such as bullet weight, what the gun shoots well etc open sights vs scope. How good the scope is.  If I could not shoot the gun at paper at 150, I dont think I would shoot at game that far if I didnt know where it hits.  As far as the 770, the first time you shoot at somethng and have to fuss with the action to get it to open and then close again, you will wish you had put a little more into a gun. I realize it is the first rifle, but make it a decent one. Look at the savage bolts. A smooth action and as good if not better accuracy than the 770 or a 700.  We have a dummy 770 for hunter ed clalsses. You can barely get the action to open, and it is worse to close. I have tore it apart cleaned lubed and everything else with no improvement.  It does get opened and closed alot during a class as all students use it to load and unload a bolt action.  But it is rendered not able to shoot, but if I had to mess with an action that much, I would buy a single shot H&R and have an action that works smoothly and dependably and money still in my pocket, especially if you plan to upgrade in the future.  In my opinion you are wasting youe money, but it is your money to waste.

Savage...for the budget rifles...the Savage models have always been held in high regard (relatively speaking) with anyone I know that has ever rifle hunted. Start stepping up to mid-high end rifles, and Remington can hold it's own/distance from others.

I've also found some of the combo scopes can be reliable...it's hit or miss based on model, but my Savage 7mm Rem Mag came with a Simmons and I've never had the need to replace it (it's about 10 years old). I've got to replace it now, but that was my fault (set rifle up against wall and it slid).