Live from the turkey woods...

deerpassion

had one gobble on the roost just 200ft away...I purred...and the hens around him went to town...I did a few soft feeding clucks and purrs...he Gobbled again and I heard him fly toward the ridge and not down to me. Usually they glide down toward the neighbors streams...not today...the wet "pond" area was right behind him and that's where they went..heard a shot some where behind the house...not too close...but the gully there muffles sound....Pulled card and yesterday  when I went to gym not hunting... two hens went past the cam..in for coffee. short hunts until I get back on track around here.

Edited by growalot

woke up very sore and pretty tired....they have another day off...that will teach me to take a week off from the gym...Monday's session was a tough one that's lasting...lol Or just stiff from sitting so many hours at a time...as I get older sitting wipes me out...need to keep moving or every part of me gets sore and aches...

totally dead this mornin. Not a peep or squeak 

unfortunately my hot spot has been the same for the past three mornings.  I still think a May 1st opener is too late, birds are already winding down from the get go....  I think the 3rd or 4th week of April would be an appropriate opener to get some of the best turkey hunting in.. can't stand sitting in the woods multiple days without one gobble.... 

• Like 1

unfortunately my hot spot has been the same for the past three mornings. I still think a May 1st opener is too late, birds are already winding down from the get go.... I think the 3rd or 4th week of April would be an appropriate opener to get some of the best turkey hunting in.. can't stand sitting in the woods multiple days without one gobble....

I don't agree. The birds seen to be behind schedule this spring...every gobbler I've been messing with has had hens rooster right with them...same as every strutter that I've seen out in the fields too. They don't need to gobble when there already have hens. I think that mid season should be better when the hens start nesting.

• Like 1

I don't agree. The birds seen to be behind schedule this spring...every gobbler I've been messing with has had hens rooster right with them...same as every strutter that I've seen out in the fields too. They don't need to gobble when there already have hens. I think that mid season should be better when the hens start nesting.

Normally I would agree with that logic but it's been said over n over in years past and I haven't noticed any considerable pick up in activity towards the ladder half of the season....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My turn? Gosh darn it I didn't screw up yesterday morning. Surprise! Tom and a hen came in silent at 9 o'clock. I was set up for 12 o'clock in a ground blind. Turned my head to the left to fast. That hen made one of the loudest noises ever heard from a hen. The whole works waisted no time, shall I say leaving the scene. Beautiful big tom. My heart just sank.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Same thing happened to me a couple of mornings ago. It was misty, which helped me get into position close to a hot spot. Did some calling. A hen got to within 10 yards of me. Came outta the mist to my left. A little turn of my head was all it took for her to see me, start warning calls, and road-runner back in the direction she came from. Any other birds with her likely took off also. Damn their awesome eyesight!

Edited by Papist

I've got a gobbled hammering up in the woods above me and a hen yelping in between us. I'm set up in my blind out where I've seen them together for the past two mornings. Hopefully ole big boy won't like my strutter invading his turf...

Alls quiet out in 9h so far. Try to work the hen to you if no success on big boy. He will come in tow. She yelps 3x you yelp 4x. Call softly as you can. Tip that boy over this morning. Good luck

came back in ...had two deer walk up to brush blind and get a whiff of Thermacell ...spooked and ran out about 120 ft..then snorted...2mins later here they come again...this time head comes over top of blind ...spooked ran stopped and took turns snorting...I almost laughed out loud their eyes looked like cartoon eyes when they spooked,,,Then I heard the new neighbor shoot out behind his place...heard hens on my way back but the fog had gotten me cold and wet...coffee and Maybe back out at 10am

Popped my bow cherry... Just a jake but couldn't pass em up for a first stick n string bird after the 2 gobblers skirted me struttin all the way outa sight... AWSOME morning though, fly down cackles , cuttin, yelpin , jakes yelpin ... I'll be back for sure for the gobbler in there ... ae55f3acbb9a397eb44af29e70164513.jpgaa4b2fc43ca2a573bdbe833c40ebc275.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4