Live from the turkey woods...

deerpassion

One lone gobble at 6:15 at some distance away. Back in for coffee. Will sit the last two hours and that will be the end of my season. It's pretty out there, but there are no birds in our woods at this point. Not in the mornings anyhow.

Why end of season ? It's only going to get better out there

Hens are killing me...I had 3 different Toms this morning insight and on a mission to get to me...one to my west...3 hens ran between us headed south and about 250 or so feet away from him and me started calling...I watched as he turned and gobbled away... 15mins later BANG!...that"s the 4 shot off new neighbor this spring...hhmmm..then had a Tom coming in from my N?E...I see his head telescoping around looking for me, then 10yrds or so later he goes into full strutt...out comes a hen on a mission and off he goes...the one to my East was hammering and closing in then went dead silent...never saw him...but heard purring and some putts...just before his last gobble...... 3 shots today and all close...This is making me angry...never had so many turkey hunters in the area ( between the roads on either side of us,1 mile between each road) before and the hens have been miserable little snots!....lol

Back out on the quiet public land. The first spot I headed to had 2 cars pull in right before me. They were just getting out of the cars, and one guy said he had another buddy coming. So I wished them good luck and went somewhere else. Sitting in a nice hardwood opening off some power lines waiting for something to happen.

Bird down!...he's not the biggest mature Tom I've ever gotten  but he's going to taste good. 20 #'s 7 3/4 in beard and 3/4 in. spurs. Man did he ever make me work for him....from roost gobble to when I shot him running in to fight my Tom decoy.

He flew down to our creeks from the ridge I was about 100yrds behind him then worked his way back up. Just as he crested the ridge he went to full strut and hopped a log looking for me . Then the local witch hen started up...well I wasn't having it a 3rd day in a row, so I went to town mimicking her ...she got mad and we were both fight calling...then the Tom hopped off the log and disappeared headed down the hill with her..I watched some doe and last years fawn feeding on a new grass growing around the blind and called a bit to a Tom far off behind me. about 6:45am the ridge Tom gobbled about a 1/3 mile away down the hill toward the swamps. I called and purred and waited and he was getting closer...he popped up over the ridge and I clucked and putted..I saw him periscope...then came running..he had spotted my Tom 100 yrds out...at 30 he stopped, at half strut I dropped him 7:20  am. Now I can relax nice Moms day weekend gift...As I loaded pics and typing...There's another Tom Out there Gobbling...lol another day..... ;)

• Like 6

Bird down!...he's not the biggest mature Tom I've ever gotten but he's going to taste good. 20 #'s 7 3/4 in beard and 3/4 in. spurs. Man did he ever make me work for him....from roost gobble to when I shot him running in to fight my Tom decoy.

He flew down to our creeks from the ridge I was about 100yrds behind him then worked his way back up. Just as he crested the ridge he went to full strut and hopped a log looking for me . Then the local witch hen started up...well I wasn't having it a 3rd day in a row, so I went to town mimicking her ...she got mad and we were both fight calling...then the Tom hopped off the log and disappeared headed down the hill with her..I watched some doe and last years fawn feeding on a new grass growing around the blind and called a bit to a Tom far off behind me. about 6:45am the ridge Tom gobbled about a 1/3 mile away down the hill toward the swamps. I called and purred and waited and he was getting closer...he popped up over the ridge and I clucked and putted..I saw him periscope...then came running..he had spotted my Tom 100 yrds out...at 30 he stopped, at half strut I dropped him 7:20 am. Now I can relax nice Moms day weekend gift...As I loaded pics and typing...There's another Tom Out there Gobbling...lol another day..... ;)

Yayyyy, congrats... Feels good to get that first one outa the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Same here with my son. Sitting for an hour and heard some distant gobbles. Waiting patiently. This time put out a Jake and hen decoy hoping the Jake will bring them in. That is of course if they show their ugly faces.

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

Edited by Deerthug

Still no movement ....I'm getting restless and annoyed at these birds.

My son wants to stay until noon. I don't think I can make it that long not seeing anything.

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

Edited by Deerthug

Checkmate. Great show. Old Tom , jake and two hens. Daughter is stoked. We'll both never forget this day. Typical 2 year old. Jake was getting near DSD hen deke. Big boy came running in and strutted.

So you killed one?

Pics when ready!!!!

Been having good action but they're  always with hens. Went out for the first couple hours this morning and sure enough..I had one answer me right off. A few minutes later I see a bird fly down and Im stoked. Then another flew down,,and another.. and another….Two toms and 4 hens. I couldn't  pull them across the field. Same thing has happened to me 3 times now. I did call in a Jake on opening day.  Sooner or later...

Had a great morning. Big boy was with two hens and a jake. I could see my daughter shaking as he displayed and ripped. First shot missed ?! 2nd gave him a knocking over. Weird, found shotshell wad between us from first shot. Second was where it should be, by dead bird. Guessing shot itself came out like a blunderbuss. Heavi mag blends. 7/8" hooks and 8.5" beard

post-4567-0-92637200-1431265524_thumb.jp

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 9