Live from the turkey woods...

deerpassion

Hens seem to be scattering , had two loan hens at different times come moseying by and bumped 2 hens from their nests on the way to the truck yesterday... Couple more days n hopefully the gobbling will pick up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather looks good for Wednesday and Thursday. Cooler temps and overcast. I'm waiting til Memorial Day and final Saturday of season so my daughter can go with. I'd rather have her there again at chance of punching second tag . I like the full green of the woods as well.

• Like 1

Short hunt before work this morning. No turkey talk or sightings yet but had this curious doe practically walk into my lap. About another hour and have to head in to get ready for work.

So what is it about turkey calling that so often attracts deer. I can remember a few times when I was squawking away on my box call, it seems like I had better luck calling deer than I did calling turkeys. What do you suppose they have going through their goaty minds when the come sneaking into a turkey call? Something to do with their common choices o food? Just simple curiosity? Something to do with fawns?

Turkey and deer are like pole beans and corn in the garden...one benefits the other. What one lacks in eye sight the other picks up. This is the same for hearing...they also each, while in a group have watchers...the more watchers the better... some times people do not give animals credit for having ANY intelligence ...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Turkey and deer are like pole beans and corn in the garden...one benefits the other. What one lacks in eye sight the other picks up. This is the same for hearing...they also each, while in a group have watchers...the more watchers the better... some times people do not give animals credit for having ANY intelligences ...

Well said. I do however accuse grinners of having zero intelligence: )

Doc, they are funny when their curiosity gets the best of them. She came into less than 10 yds of me slowly stepping and looking for the hen she had heard. Seems like deer and turkey do travel amongst eachother sometimes

Quiet here. Tried a another parcel of public land on Monday and had a few gobbles around 9 but saw nothing. No other vehicles, so was fairly quiet.

Hit same parcel on Friday. Had a couple gobbles at 11.

Hit same area again but closer to where heard the gobbles once the thunderstorm broke. Was quiet. One gobble at 10:30 but from around the other side of the high point. Bird may have gone to private parcel.

Debating on where to go tomorrow.

I went out this morning with a friend after a big ole strutter that I saw out in one of his farm leased fields yesterday morning. At 5:05 a bird started hammering in the woods below us but he was a little ways off and then another bird started gobbling closer to us.  The distant one carried on gobbling his head off until he hit the ground then went silent. The closer tom is the one I believe I saw strutting out in the field yesterday. He's had hens with him all the time for the past month and he didn't need to gobble as much because he already had girlfriends nearby. I got him a little interested in the calling until a hen flew down behind us and went to him. At that point he would gobble back at my crow call but was getting farther away each time...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Had a very vocal hen that really fired up the woods through 5:15 am.. Gobbles behind, in front, and off to one side. I really didn't know which way to turn. Had a bird closing to my right. In changing positions, I nearly had a turkey fly into the side of my face. Bird came in silent, crap flew out of it when it launched. Shot seconds later, found out a neighbor tried shooting it out of mid air. He claimed it was a red head, he's been after.Have no idea how he knew that.

Throwing this out there.

Anyone on here hunt Rte 77 entrance of darien lake state park on Mothers day with a white pick up truck? Was going to leave you some turkey feathers from my bird that morning under your wiper blades

Haha most likely me.... White dodge with a team Hoyt sticker n ducks unlimited sticker on the back glass.... Lemme guess you drive a whiteish SUV? Took a bird outa there too !

Haha most likely me.... White dodge with a team Hoyt sticker n ducks unlimited sticker on the back glass.... Lemme guess you drive a whiteish SUV? Took a bird outa there too !

Sounds like the truck I saw. I don't hunt there. Was on my way home from hunting, say 9 am or so that day. Thought it would have been funny to leave feathers and then have someone on here (chance) mention it, lol.