Live from the turkey woods...

deerpassion

Called it a day. Too hot for birds to hit field mode IMO. Worked the hardwoods and creek on the way out. Nada peep from good ole Tom today. Looks like only 1 bird this year as I have to work tomorrow. Sucks the season is over ! Feel like my dog died.

Great pic deer passion !

• Like 1

thats a great picture. Little guy/girl has no idea whats going on and why he is in this bright area. 

well, got it done this morning! nothing on roost and all the fields are so overgrown i doubt a turkey would feel like walking through them, let alone a person. 

gobbled to some loud calling, excited yelping i did while walking through mature hardwoods. set up at nearest tree and he came strutting all the way in to 20 yards. Happy to take 1 bird, no need for another. 10 inch beard, .75-1" spurs, solid two year old it seems. 

this was such an odd season for me. only had good action on May 3 then it completely turned silent in my area. I have never had a season like it before...

Had a tough time getting out of bed...skipped the early hunt and headed out around ten.  We ended up getting on a bird around 10:45 or so.  I called...he gobbled...we tried to close the distance a bit....called again...he gobbles again but only half the distance he was before!!! We hastily set up but he he doesn't show.  Next time he gobbles he is up above us headed away. We chased after him for the next hour before catching up with a him...ended up being a longbeard and a jake. They were picking away up in a hayfield and we crawled up on them using a thick hedgerow between us for cover. When I spotted the gobbler he was picking our way at 65-70 yds...my wife crawled up into a prone shooting position but neither of us could see him. I poked my head up and spotted them along the woodline. I tried cutting a them real load but the wind was howling and I didn't press the issue since it was so close to noon.  One last try tomorrow...

Ants you didn't miss a thing. I got soaked until about 1045, didn't see or hear a turkey, although I did call in a coyote looking for a turkey dinner. He came in quick and about turned inside out when I tried to get a pic of him. He caught me trying to get the camera out of my coat pocket.

• Like 1

I wish I could say that I didn't miss out this morning...

Yesterday evening I roosted the longbeard that my wife and I have been after for the entire second half of the season.  He was strutting out in a planted cornfield with two hens all afternoon, even in the pouring rain. Boy, did he get fired up with the thunder!!! They finally left the field at 7:30.  The plan was to set the blind up where they went in in hopes that the rain would push them out into the open in the morning.  Well, our power was out all night and the it was cold, windy and raining when I checked at 4:15. Since my wife is just getting over being sick for the past two weeks, I thought that sitting out in a cold, muddy field wasn't the best idea and I didn't press the issue with her getting out of bed. I couldn't get back to sleep so I drove by the farm at 6:30 just to take a look and lo and behold...the birds were right where we were going to set up!!! Not exactly how I planned on ending the season. Oh well, his hooks will be longer next year. Only 11 months to go...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1