Look's like our back tags may be a thing of the past?

maytom

According to Sunday's "Outdoors" page, seems that their is pending Legislation on eliminating back tags in NYS. Guess New York and one other state are the only ones left with this stupid requirement.

Hope it passes......always thought it was a dumb idea to begin with. Besides, most outdoor wear doesn't have provisions for pinning your tags to anyway.

• Like 4

thought it was kinda pointless.

I keep mine on the outside of my pack, no way I was messin up my jacket. no one can see it anyway. Dec stopped me one time and didn't even bat an eye that I didn't have it on me, asked for my license and told me good luck

Edited by Vince1

I never really had a problem wearing a back tag. At least I always know where my carcass tags are.

I agree 100% with that.  I hope at least they eliminate the back tag all together and not make us carry that in our wallet or purse as well as our license and back tags.

Purse?  WTH.................

• Like 1

When I was 16 hunting deer at a friends place, I decided to go behind the house and down the hill to sit by the stream on a stump watching the field for an hour or so in the afternoon.  A warden drove by on the road and saw me.  I had the license in my back pocket cause I didn't want to put holes in my red down filled vest.

He walked all the way down the hill to me and asked for my license.  He was pretty miffed when I showed it to him telling me, "You're supposed to have it on your back!"

I apologized and he went back up the hill to his car pretty mad.

;)

• Like 1

I never had any problem with wearing a back tag .

Maybe the crying and whining about wearing them will come to an end it it goes through plus it will be beneficial to trespassers so their back tag number will no longer be seen .

• Like 5

I got two guys over the years by using their back tags . They walked within 30 -40 yards of my stand . Binos do wonders especially when the guys don't even know your there until you hollar . Don't know what the DEC did but never saw them again . It was two different instances and the Avon DEC didn't mind the call  .

Hey , why do we need license plates on cars ? What a nuisance !

• Like 1

thought it was kinda pointless.

I keep mine on the outside of my pack, no way I was messin up my jacket. no one can see it anyway. Dec stopped me one time and didn't even bat an eye that I didn't have it on me, asked for my license and told me good luck

ive been doing that for years. If I get a ticket I'll pay it

ive been doing that for years. If I get a ticket I'll pay it

would have to be a real douche to give you a ticket. all the Dec I have come in contact with have been really cool, would chat me up and talk about spots I hunt and what they know of the area when I tell them im relatively new to the sport.

I would have to assume that if you take on a job like that you have to love the outdoors and would be pretty cool with people who feel the same, especially in this day and age. .

Why make this overly complicated? Just change current law to state you must have license on your person, but not specifically displayed in plain view. From past proposals, it was suggested to make current backtag merely a credit card sized license for your wallet (or man-purse?) with additional & separate harvest tags. Pretty sure there is NO current provision requiring a 2nd form of ID to verify your hunting license. So carrying your wallet while hunting (IMHO) is sort of foolish and unnecessary. Sounds like they're proposing a multi $1M retrofit of the current licensing system.

If back tags truly serve no significant function, I have no problem with getting rid of them. Apparently there has been no problem with not requiring them in the Northern Zone.

The laws are so damned numerous, I guess in this case I would have no problem ditching something that has been deemed unnecessary. Maybe the whole Conservation code should be looked at to see what kinds of worthless laws they have squirrelled away in there that could be removed. And while they are at it, they could look at the confusing and contradictory wording and the duplication and clean that stuff up too. You might even get to the point where the average guy can understand NYS Conservation law without having a lawyer sitting along side.

I can't really see any rational use for them...especially when the NZ hasn't had them.

It's a silly rule/law.

Cut costs by not having to print out 2-3 extra sections per license, make the hunting populace happy, and move on.

who wears their back tag anyhow? :search:

Don't you Mississippi guys write up your own carcass tags on a seperate piece of paper too.... or you don't even use carcass tags or something like that and just report the animal?

I thought I remembered seeing that on anotheer site durring the deer and turkey contests.

yea not many states have actual back tags.  Mississippi I'm sure is one of them that don't have carcass tags either, but Belo can chime in.... I know I don't.  I change layers, turkey vests, jackets, and stuff so often depending on what I'm hunting I don't display it on my back.  I do carry all my tags with me though.  I've never had an ECO give me a hard time about it.  some of my stuff doesn't have grommets for a tag holder either and just sticking the clothing over and over will just ruin it.

Edited by dbHunterNY

I never had any problem with wearing a back tag .

Maybe the crying and whining about wearing them will come to an end it it goes through plus it will be beneficial to trespassers so their back tag number will no longer be seen .

I caught  4 trespassers on one of my trailcams this year.They were wearing back tags and I was able to blow the pic up and get their number.i call a friend with the DEC.He identified them and called me back with their names.That's one time I was glad we have backtags. Most of my hunting coats came with provisions to pin the tag on your back.

• Like 2

I have no problen wearing one ,I have been doing it for 50+ years.If they stop printing them ,They  should go back to the single lic. that they put the stamps on and you sighned across them, Instead of the mile long of seperate cards for each type of hunting you applied for.They are one big PIA.

I have worn the tag on my back once.

I walked back to where I parked my car and noticed it gone.  It got scraped off by a branch while I was making my way through some thick laurels.  I spent an hour and a half looking for it, retracing my steps, getting cold and wet.

After that I always pin the tags to my pants, right below the beltline on my front left leg.  I always know where it is.  If someone wants to give me a ticket for that, I got my wallet right here.  

Edited by Black Bellamy

Sometimes I'll start out with it on my outer jacket in the morning when it's cold. Coming out later,after it has warmed up I stuff the jacket in my pack or carry it. Then going out later in the day I've forgotten to take the back tag off the other jacket. What a PITA. So Now I just carry it in my pants pocket most of the time. Then at some point in the season it will end up in the washer and come out scent free!

Last year a lot of places could not even print out the tags and licence because the paper was different and wouldn't go through the printers. What if they made it so we could pay them online and print our own from home? Sounds too easy,they would never go for it!