Look's like our back tags may be a thing of the past?

maytom

I have worn the tag on my back once.

I walked back to where I parked my car and noticed it gone.  It got scraped off by a branch while I was making my way through some thick laurels.  I spent an hour and a half looking for it, retracing my steps, getting cold and wet.

After that I always pin the tags to my pants, right below the beltline on my front left leg.  I always know where it is.  If someone wants to give me a ticket for that, "I got my wallet right here."

I read this part in a Long Island accent!

• Like 1

With so many people NOT following the law here, as implied by the responses, it reminds me of the youth hunter shooting the deer and the dad being charged. I remember alot of people saying that a law should be followed regardless otherwise lest we let society falter...some of whom have posted in this thread. Interesting balance.

• Like 3

I've got no issue wearing them.  Just seems odd the Northern Zone and the Catskills are exempt.

You can get 2 extra back tags printed when you get you license.  Another option would be to make a color copy your printer and carry the actual license on your person.

I have 3 license holders with current backtags in them.

• orange vest
  • attached to harness system of waist pack
  • attached to my hydration pack when

My vest, orange jacket and lined camo jacket all have grommets for the tags.  I just leave the holders attached to the gear.  Camo rain coat does not have grommets or much for pockets, so I use my waist pack with it.

Since had my license in the 80"s, have always lived where it was required to wear a backtag.

The law could also be changed the other way and require entire state to use them including for fishing licenses.  Just saying.

I have no problen wearing one ,I have been doing it for 50+ years.If they stop printing them ,They  should go back to the single lic. that they put the stamps on and you sighned across them, Instead of the mile long of seperate cards for each type of hunting you applied for.They are one big PIA.

they aren't even in a good order.  you end up having to tear them apart anyway.

• Like 2

they aren't even in a good order.  you end up having to tear them apart anyway.

Wait till you get the Free :rolleyes: Lic. and you still have to apply for Archery and a Doe permit. What do They Do , The send you a Duplicate of what you already have + the Archery and Doe permit. Now you have 2 copies of everything except the archery and doe. :rolleyes:

With so many people NOT following the law here, as implied by the responses, it reminds me of the youth hunter shooting the deer and the dad being charged. I remember alot of people saying that a law should be followed regardless otherwise lest we let society falter...some of whom have posted in this thread. Interesting balance.

I was thinking the same thing as I was considering what a pain in the neck back tags can be. Most of the time I have a back-pack covering up the back of my jacket, so it may be that according to the letter of the law, pinning it to my backpack probably is breaking the law. But to the best of my ability, I try to comply with the law by keeping it visible at all times. When I get to my stand, I then pin it to the back of my jacket where I understand that it was officially intended to be displayed. Yes, it certainly is a P.I.A., and in my mind is probably a foolish requirement. But I still make the attempt to satisfy the intent of the law, not because I have to agree with the law in order to abide by it, but simply because it is the law. That probably is not quite the same thing as purposefully breaking the law, and teaching that to your kid, and then bragging about the fact.

If they should drop that requirement, it sure won't break my heart....lol. But as long as the law is in place, I will honor it.

Shesh , a lot of whiney excuses for not wearing a back tag . Been wearing them for 50 years . Never lost one . I asked the clerk to print a couple extra copies so I can attach one to my backpack and another on my jacket so I always have one . I also put one on a vest for when I go woodchuck hunting .

I always wore my back tags & was told by a gamie that was all you can have in the back tag holder ,& nothing else at all not ever the carcass tags. Have never carried anything else in there after that.

You know, I would call them out on that. I would like to see that part of the law in print. I don't think it exists.

I always put mine on my daypack , it's on my back walking around and hangs on back of tree visable while on stand.

I never put tags or license in the holder, not since I had it tear off years ago.....

• Like 1

Don't you Mississippi guys write up your own carcass tags on a seperate piece of paper too.... or you don't even use carcass tags or something like that and just report the animal?

I thought I remembered seeing that on anotheer site durring the deer and turkey contests.

Mississippi is a joke. No carcass tags or reporting. In my opinion, that's too far.

I caught  4 trespassers on one of my trailcams this year.They were wearing back tags and I was able to blow the pic up and get their number.i call a friend with the DEC.He identified them and called me back with their names.That's one time I was glad we have backtags. Most of my hunting coats came with provisions to pin the tag on your back.

that has to be rare, and honestly silly on their part. If you're committing a crime; why wear a backtag? lol

So how does the state figure out how many are shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you pull up the harvest reports you'll see MS data missing or estimated. We're not the only state that does this, but keep in mind the hunter density here is nothing like NY.

I will say, if you hunt a public land managed area, you have to sign in and out each day and report your harvest with a bunch of data on the harvest and also the jaw bone. It's kind of a pain but a good way to manage the areas. The state also has ARs throughout.