Redempion bird = Tagged Out!!!

WNY Bowhunter

I missed a gobbler monday morning and I've been feeling bad over the whole ordeal ever since. Misses happen, but in this case...looking back...I realize that the shot was marginal and I never should have pulled the trigger.  

Fast forward to this morning...

I decided to go back after the bird that I'd shot at to see if he was still around. He has been roosted in the same exact spot on a gully bank for the past several times that I've been there.  He's had hens roosted around him and they all pitch down in to the open hardwood flat below.  This is where I missed him the other day, but I was on top not in the bottom where I should have been.  This morning, however, I decided to set up in the hardwood flat where he's been landing.  At 5:20 he gobbled right where he was supposed to be about 50 yds away and I felt better about the miss since I knew now that he wasn't laying dead in the woods some where. He gobbled two more times on the roost...a hen flew down behind me...I got ready...a couple of minutes later he glides down and lands 25 yds away right in front of the gun barrel...BOOM...game over at 5:45!!!

The coolest part of the whole thing is that this bird has 5 beards!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will post pics later...

• Like 6

First off, congratulations on the harvest of the bird. Second, in your write-up, you did not mention about the 5 beards on the missed bird. I have to assume you saw multiple beards on the first attempt at the bird. Do show pics.

First off, congratulations on the harvest of the bird. Second, in your write-up, you did not mention about the 5 beards on the missed bird. I have to assume you saw multiple beards on the first attempt at the bird. Do show pics.

No, I did not see the extra beards before I shot him this morning or on monday.  The main beard is 9.5" and the extra are all 2.5 - 4.5" and would be almost impossible to see on the live bird. I do have trail cam pics of him before season.  I know that he was the one that I missed because I've only been hearing one bird and he's been roosting in the same tree...right where this one was this morning.

Beautiful bird....Congrats !!

I have only ever seen one 5 bearded gobbler before and that was a jake.

My buddy borrowed it from the guy who shot it for our NWTF display at the Bath Fair. He left it on an end table in his living room and his springer spaniel ATE it...Poor guy had to tell the owner that his dog had eaten his priceless trophy....

Beautiful bird....Congrats !!

I have only ever seen one 5 bearded gobbler before and that was a jake.

My buddy borrowed it from the guy who shot it for our NWTF display at the Bath Fair. He left it on an end table in his living room and his springer spaniel ATE it...Poor guy had to tell the owner that his dog had eaten his priceless trophy....

That sucks!!! I have to figure out how to preserve all the beards in one piece. It's so much simplier with only one beard...lol.

• Like 1

That sucks!!! I have to figure out how to preserve all the beards in one piece. It's so much simplier with only one beard...lol.

I have a 4 bearder and several double beards at home.

I just cut out the strip of skin surrounding all the beards and let them dry.  I got my first double beard in 1977 and it has held up well so far.