What kind of bird?

greg54

Here are some serious ID challenges. Anyone want to guess?

A bird I photographed in Deposit - post-5300-0-46745200-1433764154_thumb.jp

The remains of a large hawk - post-5300-0-84512200-1433764392_thumb.jp

A young bird I photographed about 10 days ago - post-5300-0-71621900-1433764445_thumb.jp

A dead bird I was asked to ID last Christmas Day - post-5300-0-53887100-1433764544_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Is the first pic a Falcon and maybe the young one is a vulture?

Very good. Yes a falcon. Good call. Actually, I doubted anyone would get even the genus. Here' a second pic of the same falcon to help ID the species. post-5300-0-45782300-1433769588_thumb.jp

This is a different kind of falcon. Photo taken near Fort Plain post-5300-0-63277800-1433769671_thumb.jp

The young one is not a vulture.

Here are some serious ID challenges. Anyone want to guess?

A bird I photographed in Deposit - attachicon.gifDeposit, NY.jpg

The remains of a large hawk - attachicon.gifBurlington 005.jpg

A young bird I photographed about 10 days ago - attachicon.gifDSC00637.JPG

A dead bird I was asked to ID last Christmas Day - attachicon.gifNew Lisbon.JPG

Those are awesome pics. Sometimes when I am out in woods where my trail cams are, I hear a screech from above and the squirrels go running crazy making all kinds of panic calls...would that be from the hawk in the pic from my cam?

Those are awesome pics. Sometimes when I am out in woods where my trail cams are, I hear a screech from above and the squirrels go running crazy making all kinds of panic calls...would that be from the hawk in the pic from my cam?

It sounds like a Red-tailed Hawk but a Red-shouldered Hawk also has a high pitched screech. A redtail's is lower in pitch and rougher and is often used in films as a eagle call. Red-shouldered calls are frequently imitated by Blue Jays - more often than the jays imitate retails.

The first photo is a Gyrfalcon.

The second photo - which is identifiable - shows the remains of a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk.

The third photo is a nestling Bald Eagle that was just banded.

The fourth photo is a dead juvenile Bald Eagle - ~3 years old - that landed on a power pole and was electrocuted. There were burn marks on the bottom of the feet. I've never been up a power pole. I'm guessing it's feet touched a ground wire and a wing touched a live wire. I doubt a bird that big would try to balance on a wire. Eagles are more often electrocuted this way out west where perches are few.

The falcon in the second post is a Peregrine.

Here's another falcon. A photo taken in the Village of Cooperstown. Any guesses? post-5300-0-10222000-1433783972_thumb.jp