2015 season

Tim Horlacher

Hey folks, getting pretty excited for the 2015 season to start (I know it's not right around the corner but once trout season slows it's all I look forward to).

I'm still changing up gear on my bow and need to order new shafts, wraps and fletchings. But if they fly like my 3D arrows I should be in fine shape.

This will be my first season archery hunting NY, I've been rifle hunting in Ny for a few years. I'm planning to scout next week, I know baiting is illegal and I hunt state land, is it a bad idea to put a camera out? I'd like to set a camera out to see what's in the area but don't want it stolen.

Also does anyone know the date for the opening day?

Thanks for any information, much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim that all part of hunting, making sure you have the right setup with arrow and BH's. I try to make sure that I do lots of pre scouting for state woods were I hunt is in North Pharsalia, over 30,000 acres of state woods. I do not put out any cameras as they may be taken. I lie to take my traditional bow with blunts and shoot stumps as I walk the areas I hunt. It give me a great way to check out the lay of the land for deer sign and also just fun for shooting the recurve bow. I deer hunt with my Hoyt compound bow, Winn release, peep, kisser, carbon arrows, 100 gr fixed 3 blade BH's. At 74 years young each season may be the last so I sure have fun being out in the woods. I still let the young bucks walk as well as the doe's. My wife seems to think I just go out in the woods and take long naps...I take a book with me and in the middle of the morning or early afternoon will read. I also no longer can use a tree stand so I have some plastic wall mart chairs set out in natural ground blinds.

Thanks For the response Bill. I too am hunting with a Hoyt (2014 Faktor). I'm still not sure which arrows to go with but I'll make that decision soon enough. I'll be shooting the QAD Exodus broadheads. They really impressed me last year, are strong, and don't have to worry about them not opening like mechanicals.

Likewise on letting the young bucks walk. I'm not looking for a trophy but I'm also not looking for a spike buck haha. Hopefully I can get a few scouting trips in this summer

Just got back from a morning scouting session. Everything's a lot thinker than I remember it from rifle, guess I should have figured as much. Got on a few good trails but nothing overly open. Seems the best trails were in thick pines.

Without asking for specific stand locations anyone have recommendations for gamelands or state forests in the Corning/coopers plains or Addison area? I'm hoping to find somewhere a little more open with hardwoods or fields. If not, adapt and overcome.

Still at the end of the trip it was a great morning spent hiking and testing the new GPS, at the very least. Thanks for any and all advice.

Welcome Tim! The area you mention from what I hear has plenty of deer. I am sure some of the members closer to the area can give you some tips.

For season dates look up future season dates on the NYSDEC website and it will give you the formula used currently.The bow opener for Southern is now Oct. 1st.....

Good luck out there, I am not ready yet... bass season just started and need to enjoy summer a bit first!! But it is always on my mind, I am waiting for a couple cool days to get some woods work done.

Anyone have any advice on the Management Area/Gamelands near Gang Mills? Saw a mention of it while looking around online. Most likely going to check it out but am curious if it's worth the time? If it's over pressured/hunted, I'll pass and stay where I'm at. Also any advice on southern areas would be greatly appreciated. I'm about 2 hrs south of Corning so I'd prefer to stay semi local

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any advice on the Management Area/Gamelands near Gang Mills? Saw a mention of it while looking around online. Most likely going to check it out but am curious if it's worth the time? If it's over pressured/hunted, I'll pass and stay where I'm at. Also any advice on southern areas would be greatly appreciated. I'm about 2 hrs south of Corning so I'd prefer to stay semi local

There are some leases available in that area by Cotton Hanlon. Not sure if that is a consideration, but I think there are Chemung Co or areas around there with the leases.

• 3 weeks later...