Senate Passes Bill to Allow Moose Hunting in NY

mike rossi

800 is considered a healthy enough population to allow hunting? And we can't hunt doves?

Come on!

But seriously, does anyone have any particulars on this? High priced lottery or open season etc?

Doves are protected. Much easier to shove a moose season through.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Everything is "protected" unless it is designated as "unprotected". Only a handful of wildlife are unprotected. Whitetail deer are "protected". Skunks are "protected". 

There is nothing unique to mourning dove's status that requires any unusually difficult procedural hurdles. The hurdle is either pressure from anti hunting organizations or the Legislature uses dove initiatives as a "bargaining chip" or something to "grandstand" on. AKA: "Playing Politics". 

It only takes 1,500 ink signatures to run in the primary, I think I get get on the ballot. Then they can debate me, lol.... 

This bill just allows the DEC to regulate a season if and when it chooses to do so.  It doesn't mean there will be moose tags next season if it passes.  It takes the decision out of the hands of politicians and puts it into the DECs.

Not a bad thing in my opinion, given the two options.

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 3

This bill just allows the DEC to regulate a season if and when it chooses to do so.  It doesn't mean there will be moose tags next season if it passes.  It takes the decision out of the hands of politicians and puts it into the DECs.

Not a bad thing at all. But have you ever asked yourself who all is behind this? 

Agreed.  Thanks for parsing that down.  That wasn't made clear in the story. 

Might this all have something to do with the current moose study the state is conducting? 

And as for who or what is behind this, any thoughts?

Well, I know someone wants to know who was behind it.... I don't have the answer, but I have some clues.... 

This one is easy to narrow down because there are only one sponsor in each house 20 miles apart, the senator in Buffalo and the assemblyman in east Aurora. So someone who lives and votes around Buffalo advocated or lobbied for it.... 

Not many moose in the Buffalo area.... So I would tend to believe this is ONE person or perhaps one group who own a hunting camp in moose country...  

Apparently, some dude or dudes who live around Erie County want a moose season...... 

• Like 1

Well, I know someone wants to know who was behind it.... I don't have the answer, but I have some clues.... 

This one is easy to narrow down because there are only one sponsor in each house 20 miles apart, the senator in Buffalo and the assemblyman in east Aurora. So someone who lives and votes around Buffalo advocated or lobbied for it.... 

Not many moose in the Buffalo area.... So I would tend to believe this is ONE person or perhaps one group who own a hunting camp in moose country...  

Apparently, some dude or dudes who live around Erie County want a moose season...... 

Interesting.  I wouldn't have thought it so easy.  Given that, you should run for office.  Sounds like it would be a piece of cake to push a dove season through.

Agreed.  Thanks for parsing that down.  That wasn't made clear in the story. 

Might this all have something to do with the current moose study the state is conducting? 

And as for who or what is behind this, any thoughts?

Matt,

If you do not have enough wildlife policy savvy to understand the process, imagine how lost others are....

I do not think the DEC is seeking this legislative approval and here is why I think that: This came out of Buffalo, far from moose country. And it likely was not 500 hunters who went in and talked to their legislators, it probably was one well connected person. I also think the DEC legislative Affairs Branch would have been able to get more than two sponsors, this was someone from Erie county....

If this passes, then the DEC would iron out the details, ie lottery permits and all that,   - at which point there would probably be a public comment period before the regs are finalized. If the legislature was determining how hunting  opportunity was distributed out (permit allocation) we really would be in trouble.... 

Interesting.  I wouldn't have thought it so easy.  Given that, you should run for office.  Sounds like it would be a piece of cake to push a dove season through.

I didn't imply that it would be easy, and you are being a something that starts with P and rymes with Rick.... 

I didn't imply that it would be easy, and you are being a something that starts with P and rymes with Rick.... 

No offense meant there.  I genuinely wouldn't think that one person could push their agenda through the legislature.  Nor any offense meant about the doves.  I would love to able to hunt them here at home.  

But yeah, I am a bit of a prick in general.

I genuinely wouldn't think that one person could push their agenda through the legislature. 

Then what is your theory?

I might agree someone came in and said they as an officer of some organization represent X number of hunters..... (all in your voting district 7 hours away from moose country)....  Or 4 or 5 rich guys who hunt together or think alike instead of one.... 

I will say it is pretty obvious how states with 600 or 700 trappers managed to fight off anti-trappers to the point trapping is no longer the top of the anti hunting agenda. True the fur market is a shadow of what it was, but its still multi Billion dollars, with only a few major outlets. You really dont think those billion dollar industries are not greasing the palms of lawmakers to protect their source of fur - the trapper and fur rancher? Or is it so and so association with 200 members?

Crossbows? Well the archery industry sells crossbows as well as compounds. A cultural shift to crossbows means hunters will upgrade - it does not mean they will lose business.  Crossbows are a gain not a loss. They probably donated, but to which camp? 

Here is the deal: we need to read the most recent moose conservation plan and see if the DEC even hinted about a season. Then, you mentioned a moose study, (which to me means something different than a conservation plan - qualify your context so we are on the same page please) ;  were there any recommendations for harvest or statements that the population will support hunting? I am sure 800 moose will support hunting by permit - New England states hunt moose by permit with similar populations.... But what did the study you referenced say? 

Try again.

Why would the insurance industry care about moose in NYS?

Contrary to popular folklore, they have no real concern with the deer population.

Other than monitoring rates to still be hugely profitable.

Edited by SteveB